WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Awesome :thumb:

I agree. :thumb:

Wait, what? That's not pink....

Sorry to disappoint.

Man I can't wait to see the install of this thing.

Pretty awesome. I'm excited to see it under the WJ.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

In the words of Larry the Cable Guy "that's funny right there".
Awesome! Can't wait to see the install.

Me too. Can't wait to put it under the Jeep.

Congrats on the dynatrac brother

nice man!! thing looks sweet!!

Sent from my SM-G928V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks.

Got the locker solenoid installed. Also working on building a harness to extend the switch wiring. One downside of having the compressor in the very back of the Jeep.

IMG_20161123_215146_008.jpg

IMG_20161123_215219_618.jpg

Looking good....but I don't envy you the wiring and air line routing.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks. What's funny is I was actually considering an e-locker because I didn't want to deal with all of this. Even after I already had the compressor! Then I got off my lazy ass and realized I would kick myself in the nuts for going this far with the axle and not getting an ARB. Just like any other project, once I get into it, it's not that bad.

And a trick I learned about ARB if you are running only one locker with the twin compressor....you cannot use the switch 2 wiring by itself. Power goes through switch 1, so that has to be hooked up first.

Switch 2 uses a green wire which I already had in my garage, so i was going to stick with it simply for color coating. But it didn't work. After looking at the diagram, I realized why. Hooked up switch 1 instead and it's good.

CARRY FLUIDS!!!! Went on a very last minute run this morning with Matt from Rancho here on the forum. The day was full of surprises. We started by heading up the dry, warm canyon to our selected trail which was 100% snow-covered and took us by surprise. We've had great weather here for about a week and didn't expect any snow at this elevation.

DSC04288.jpg

DSC04287.jpg

After airing down, we hit the trail. It was very slippery. I had to break out the winch almost immediately. And shortly after, Matt was sliding on a hill and then had an intermittent engagement issue with his front locker. Being that we both had kids with us, we decided to bail on this trail because we knew it would only get worse as we got higher up. We decided to go to a trail a short distance down the road at a lower elevation.

DSC04298.jpg

About a mile into the trail, Matt radio'd me that he had no movement of his Jeep at all. As we started looking at it, we noticed a red puddle of fluid forming in front of his LF tire. He had blown a quick-connect fitting on one of his tranny lines up near the radiator.

IMG_20161125_205837_700.jpg

DSC04291.jpg

DSC04292.JPG

After we pulled it off and inspected it, it turns out that the small u-shaped snap ring that was suppose to be in there was completely missing. So we fabricated some damn good zip tie engineering to force the connection to stay clipped.

DSC04295.JPG

Although the zip ties appeared to work, his trans fluid wasn't reading on the dipstick and the Jeep wasn't moving. We shut it off quickly and neither of us had transmission fluid. Moral: ALWAYS CARRY ALL TYPES OF FLUIDS. We both learned a lesson today that will stick with us. We spent a good 2-3 hours getting Matt's Jeep turned around so we could tow him out. That thing is heavy. With 3 people pushing it uphill and the 37s having no power steering to move it, it was a very long process that ultimately resulted in using a winch to help us make the 7 point turn.

IMG_20161125_205903_643.jpg

IMG_20161125_205931_561.jpg

DSC04296.jpg

Instead of me having to tow him, Matt used gravity and no power steering nor power brakes and barrelled down the hill at a very impressive speed. I met him at the bottom and pulled him over to an easy highway pulloff where we waited for a tow-truck. It was dark by the time the tow-truck came, but we all had warm weather gear and extra food to keep the kids happy. Long day. Matt will keep us posted after he gets some fluid in his Jeep and hope that no transmission damage was done.

DSC04300.jpg

DSC04303.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom