WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Maybe. But then again, yours was much more of a custom project with specialty parts whereas this was a fairly direct swap. I hope you get yours running soon. We need to get a trail in together before Winter.

I was hoping to work on it over the holiday weekend but I called and they had some parts on backorder they were waiting on. We definitely need to hit the trails before snow flies. It has been a jeepless summer and it's killing me.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Planning on swapping the motor tomorrow. Last minute, I realized it would be ludicrous to not change the oil pan gasket. Now it's a 20 minute job. But with engine installed, it's a lot more involved. Plus I got to check a lot of stuff inside. Engine looks pretty decent and even the visible cylinder walls look OK. And the best part is that the blue gasket matches my new painted valve covers.

IMG_20180906_201017_595.jpg

IMG_20180906_201044_876.jpg

IMG_20180906_201114_035.jpg

Of course even the simplest of jobs couldn't be complete without having to get out a tap set because the bolt got cross-threaded. :mad:

IMG_20180906_201132_431.jpg

You're not wrenching if you don't cross thread at least one bolt, be happy you caught it quick before you had to helicoil. Good luck with the swap, hope all goes easy.

Mine has spent a good bit of time on the stand and I'm just trying to think of all the seals I went through. My rear main is one of the bolt on types so it was super simple. I hope I didn't jinx you.

Dang, your making some solid progress. :thumb:

Maybe I missed it. Did your motor come with any type of warranty?

6 month warranty.

Some install tips for a 4.7 WJ motor:

Front of motor has to be tilted up to tilt it into place. There is a lifting stud in the timing cover just above the water pump. We hooked a ratchet strap from there to the chain on the hoist. When we tightened the strap, it pulled the front of the motor up.

After motor is out, remove the motor mounts completely to give more clearance when installing the new motor and reaching the bellhousing bolts.

A load leveler helps with getting the motor tilted and stabbed into place.

I was able to leave the intake on when I swapped it in.

The upper top bolts are a bitch.

Last edited:
6 month warranty.

Some install tips for a 4.7 WJ motor.

Front of motor has to be tilted up to tilt it into place.

After motor is out, remove the mounts to give more clearance.

A load leveler helps with getting the motor stabbed into place.

I was able to leave the intake on when I swapped it in.

Good to know

Good progress! Can't wait to see it back on the road and the trail!

Dang, your making some solid progress. :thumb:

Sweet! Can't wait to see it back in the trail.

Sent from my SM-G892U using WAYALIFE mobile app

Outstanding work. I dont think I could pull off an engine swap. :clap2:

You need to slow down. I don't have any parts yet.

Nice progress, Doug!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

We really lucked out today with progress. My dad helped me out. This would be impossible without a 2nd person. It only took 7 hours to pull the old engine and get the new one in. The two trickiest parts were getting the motor lined up with the Jenner and then fully fastening the top upper bellhousing bolts.

Top Bottom