WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Congrats on the new motor!!! Big project taking it on yourself but cheaper than a shop for sure! Looking forward to seeing it back out on the trails :thumb:

Got a little bit of progress done today.

View attachment 309373

Yeah, don't use stop leak.....

View attachment 309374

View attachment 309375

I used a stop leak I bought from Napa , in the XJ, called K-seal. It stopped the small leak in the radiator but I could not rest until I replaced the radiator. Anyway, I just replaced the rad last weekend and was kind of surprised the sludge I flushed out was not worse than it was. In a pinch, I think this stuff works. Was kind of an emergency situation I used it. Not endorsing the product, just relaying my experience with it. FYI.
Definitely feel better after rad replacement though.
Other than that, nice progress on your project
Doug!!

Last edited:
I used a stop leak I bought from Napa , in the XJ, called K-seal. It stopped the small leak in the radiator but I could not rest until I replaced the radiator. Anyway, I just replaced the rad last weekend and was kind of surprised the sludge I flushed out was not worse than it was. In a pinch, I think this stuff works. Was kind of an emergency situation I used it. Not endorsing the product, just relaying my experience with it. FYI.
Definitely feel better after rad replacement though.
Other than that, nice progress on your project
Doug!!
Just used some k seal in a pinch for a bad water pump gasket on a friend's truck and it worked great for the small bottle it was in.

Sent from my PH-1 using WAYALIFE mobile app

In the last couple of days, I've removed the exhaust, the hood, the starter, bellhousing inspection cover, wiring, and fuel line. I also removed the intake manifold strictly because a clip dropped underneath it by accident. But it's out now. I pretty much just have to disconnect the torque converter, mounting bolts, and motor mounts and pull the engine out.

IMG_20180830_203114_697.jpg

I didn't touch it at all today. Yesterday was a mess. All 8 ignition coils were seized for some reason. I plan on swapping the brand new plugs over so I decided to pull the coils. I noticed some weird marks on the coils when it first arrived and I just assumed a rodent had been chewing on it based on the peanut shells I found under the intake. Nope. I made the exact same marks with my channel locks trying to pull the coils off, someone else had obviously been through this ordeal. The right bank wasn't too bad to get off, but the left bank was horrible. It took me about 4 hours total to remove them and one of them broke. I used drill bits, picks, pliers, pry bar, etc. After about two hours, I finally got the rest out without damaging the head. Examining the coils, I still have no idea why they were seized. If this had happened while the engine was in the vehicle, I would have been fucked.

IMG_20180901_182013_924.jpg

IMG_20180901_182046_125.jpg

Last edited:
Some fucker was living it up in here.

IMG_20180902_163934_631.jpg

Although it may not look like much, I got a lot done today. Transfered the coils and plugs (the other coils were just as difficult to install, not sure what's going on), transfered the water pump, the fuel rail, and the intake manifold. I also got the flex plate unbolted from the TC. It's ready to unbolt and pull.

IMG_20180902_164009_544.jpg

Progress!! Just keep knocking out a little each day and you'll be back on the trail soon. And is that a fucking pecan in the valley of the block? Good thing you didn't need any of the harness from the donor vehicle. I bet it's chewed to shit!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Progress!! Just keep knocking out a little each day and you'll be back on the trail soon. And is that a fucking pecan in the valley of the block? Good thing you didn't need any of the harness from the donor vehicle. I bet it's chewed to shit!

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, I bet so too.

Damn! Some little bastards made a galley out of your galley

Sorry, I couldn't resist that one.

Lol. That's funny.

I'm getting the feeling your going to be running way sooner than I am.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Maybe. But then again, yours was much more of a custom project with specialty parts whereas this was a fairly direct swap. I hope you get yours running soon. We need to get a trail in together before Winter.

Top Bottom