WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Damn man, sorry to hear about your motor. Your WJ is so unique and it's interesting to see what you're doing with it. Hopefully a swap makes sense and seems to be an option. Whatever you choose however, it'll be the right choice for yall. As fun as a current project is, there is always a certain level of excitement for a new project/build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Yeah it is tough one. After all you have done to the Jeep. But yet as you said “new star” is something you might need. Good luck man [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Damn sorry to hear that. I really hope you come up with a solution. Must be a pretty tough decision. On the bright side, if you decide to go with another WJ, you have a lot parts you can swap right into it. Although I would like to see this one stick around, a fresh start might be good for you guys. Good luck!

Last edited:
Buy a cheap commuter. Park the Jeep and work on it while you have time with no rush. Or take a weekend off and a couple friends and beer and knock the bitch out. You’ll never get the money back out of it so keeping it and throwing an engine at it isn’t that big of a deal in the big picture. I’m sure there’s a few guys on here nearby that can lend a hand. It’s just an engine, pop it out, pop a new one in, swear a lot drink a few, go wheel.

Also wj’s are getting pretty cheap so you could buy another one. Drive it til you have time, then swap the engine, keep extra parts trans transfer, random interior bits that like to break etc. scrap the body, steel is going up scrap should follow suit soon enough.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
At any rate, have a great Fourth! Lots of beer and unconsciousness! You’ll be forgiven!

I'm really sorry to hear that the work you just had done didn't solve your Jeep's issues. Good luck with whatever you decide!

Motor swap man. It’s worth it.

Man, that just sucks. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Damn man, sorry to hear about your motor. Your WJ is so unique and it's interesting to see what you're doing with it. Hopefully a swap makes sense and seems to be an option. Whatever you choose however, it'll be the right choice for yall. As fun as a current project is, there is always a certain level of excitement for a new project/build.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G930A using Tapatalk

Sorry to hear it man, it's such a cool WJ. Good luck on the decision!

This sucks Doug, can you recoup the money you just put in the heads by buying a short block and using them?

Yeah it is tough one. After all you have done to the Jeep. But yet as you said “new star” is something you might need. Good luck man [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Damn sorry to hear that. I really hope you come up with a solution. Must be a pretty tough decision. On the bright side, if you decide to go with another WJ, you have a lot parts you can swap right into it. Although I would like to see this one stick around, a fresh start might be good for you guys. Good luck!

Buy a cheap commuter. Park the Jeep and work on it while you have time with no rush. Or take a weekend off and a couple friends and beer and knock the bitch out. You’ll never get the money back out of it so keeping it and throwing an engine at it isn’t that big of a deal in the big picture. I’m sure there’s a few guys on here nearby that can lend a hand. It’s just an engine, pop it out, pop a new one in, swear a lot drink a few, go wheel.

Also wj’s are getting pretty cheap so you could buy another one. Drive it til you have time, then swap the engine, keep extra parts trans transfer, random interior bits that like to break etc. scrap the body, steel is going up scrap should follow suit soon enough.

After much thought and reflection, we will likely get a low-mileage junkyard Motor or a fair-priced reman and do the swap. Looking at cost efficiency, I'll likely do it myself slowly. Not looking forward to the labor but it sure will save a lot of money. Luckily the old motor has a ton of new parts and anything questionable can be swapped easier with the motor removed. As far as just replacing the short block, it's very difficult to find a short block by itself. Plus, I have to mess with the timing chains being this is an OHC motor.

I think that’s the wise decision, albeit a labor intensive one. Take good photos of the vacuum lines and connections, electrical connections and sensors, cam and sprockets position, etc. you know the drill. Rent an engine stand and engine hoist; stand for the replacement engine to transfer the parts. It actually goes pretty fast.
You’ll be glad you did this!

I will be glad to be your backup driver on the test drive, just let me know when. Good luck and take your time and don't be rushed.

After much thought and reflection, we will likely get a low-mileage junkyard Motor or a fair-priced reman and do the swap. Looking at cost efficiency, I'll likely do it myself slowly. Not looking forward to the labor but it sure will save a lot of money. Luckily the old motor has a ton of new parts and anything questionable can be swapped easier with the motor removed. As far as just replacing the short block, it's very difficult to find a short block by itself. Plus, I have to mess with the timing chains being this is an OHC motor.

Good luck with it, buddy. The crazy thing is, I was watching the temperature on the Hemi today. It seems like 220-240 is where it runs, depending on load.

I think that’s the wise decision, albeit a labor intensive one. Take good photos of the vacuum lines and connections, electrical connections and sensors, cam and sprockets position, etc. you know the drill. Rent an engine stand and engine hoist; stand for the replacement engine to transfer the parts. It actually goes pretty fast.
You’ll be glad you did this!

Yep. I'll be using a lot of nail polish.

Glad you have a plan to keep it! Good luck with the swap

Thanks.

I will be glad to be your backup driver on the test drive, just let me know when. Good luck and take your time and don't be rushed.

Will do.

Sorry to hear all that but glad you are going to keep her. Good luck with it all. Can't wait to see what you do.

Sent from my VS988 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Of all of our options, this one seemed the most practical.

Good luck with it, buddy. The crazy thing is, I was watching the temperature on the Hemi today. It seems like 220-240 is where it runs, depending on load.

If it just went to those temps and stayed there, that would be fine, but this thing just keeps climbing. I noticed this morning when I started it up, the upper radiator hose was Rock solid immediately, too much pressure in the system. Also, cap was puking coolant before the engine even reached operating temperature which concludes the same.

If it just went to those temps and stayed there, that would be fine, but this thing just keeps climbing. I noticed this morning when I started it up, the upper radiator hose was Rock solid immediately, too much pressure in the system. Also, cap was puking coolant before the engine even reached operating temperature which concludes the same.

I have had more Chevy’s than Jeeps. That’s overheating territory for them. The old small blocks would run 190. I did hit 247 in the JK, towing that camper in the desert. It made me nervous, but it really wasn’t much hotter than those things normally run.

The WJ is too unique to not keep on the road. If there is anything I can do let me know - especially if you need someone to man the plasma cutter. :D

Probably the smart thing to do. If you decide to sell your Jeep, it'll be worth a lot more running than not.

I’ll keep an eye out for a motor in Los Angeles... maybe even a running Jeep. My buddies have been find crazy deals here..

I know you’ve gone over everything but are you 100% certain the fan motor / fan clutch are working properly? .....Spinning doesn’t mean its going fast enough. (Just throwing out a Hail Mary before you rip into it)

GLWS! (swap ;))

I give you a lot of credit for taking that on man. Big job but these things always end up being worth it in the end :thumb:

I hope to have this LS done in a month or two. If you need an engine hoist and stand I'd be happy to let you borrow mine. I could always use the garage space while they're not needed.

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom