WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Sorry to hear that the heads/ gaskets didn't help anything. If you need any help chasing down parts or a new rig just let us know. I'm sure everyone here would be more than happy to help out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

Honestly, a reputable junkyard Motor with a warranty may only be 500-1000, but labor is like 20 hours or so. If I had the time and an extra vehicle, cost wouldn't be an issue. But time is very limited, so paying someone would be about 2k to do it. If I got a reman motor, just the parts would be 2.5k or more. So I'm really trying to decide if it's worth the cost or not. There's always the 'start over' option as well with a JK or JL, but hell, a used JKUR is almost as much as a new JL. Not sure what I'm going to do. If someone offered me 10k for the WJ just for the mods, I may take it. Not sure yet.

Could you rent a car, and do it yourself cheaper?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sorry to hear that the heads/ gaskets didn't help anything. If you need any help chasing down parts or a new rig just let us know. I'm sure everyone here would be more than happy to help out.

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

I appreciate the offer and thank you. Just not sure where we'll go yet with our decision.

Could you rent a car, and do it yourself cheaper?

Oh I could for sure. We've even discussed getting a 3rd vehicle for that option. Just a matter of whether we really want to fix it ourselves based on time.

That blows. Engine replacement probably will be your cheapest option, if the Jeep is otherwise solid.

That blows. Engine replacement probably will be your cheapest option, if the Jeep is otherwise solid.

Agreed... If it cost you 3.5k to swap in a crate motor you would still be ahead... Buying a new Jeep would cost you that in 2 months alone with a down/monthly payment.... then $700 every month after that...

Ugh, the perils of a modified vehicle. Sucks man. All the time and effort makes it really hard to let something like your WJ go. And once you cross the threshold from just bolting on shit to doing serious mods, like dropping in aftermarket axles its even more difficult.

Sorry to hear this news! Years ago had the same situation with my Suburban tow vehicle. Finally picked a weekend and pulled the MF engine and swapped parts and did the install. It was July or August and was hot as hell, but I got the replacement installed and fired up late Sunday evening. It was a 4x4 so had to set it down on the discs so I could reach everything. One man job. Just determined I would not lose all the work I had previously done on it. I know the feeling of dread, but kick it in gear and do it! You have so much effort invested and know this beast, I’d hate to see you give it up!

Sorry to hear it all went down this way. It is unbelievably painful to let something like that go, it has become a part of the family. I know the feeling, and hope you can sort it out to your advantage, like a low miles wj and swap parts over, so it can at least stay somewhat around.
Good luck

Sent from my SM-N910V using Tapatalk

The grass is not always greener on the other side, but then again, change is not always bad. Such a dilemma. I personally would like to see you keep it since you have put so much effort into personalizing it.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. We will make a decision in the next few days. An engine swap is definitely to be considered.

Thanks for all the comments, guys. We will make a decision in the next few days. An engine swap is definitely to be considered.

At any rate, have a great Fourth! Lots of beer and unconsciousness! You’ll be forgiven!

I'm really sorry to hear that the work you just had done didn't solve your Jeep's issues. Good luck with whatever you decide!

We'll, the WJ has certainly seen better days. The shop got the new head gaskets on and the milled heads back from the machine shop. Just running in the tech's bay, the temps were climbing beyond 230F. I paid them for their time and picked up the Jeep. In the 3 mile drive home with a cold engine, the temps rose quickly and reached at least 240F and I had to pull over 3 times just to avoid overheating it. The engine block has to be cracked as it's the only thing left. I'm really debating parting it out or selling it just for the mods. I may buy another WJ and swap parts over, but that will be very time-consuming. Not sure what I'm going to do at this point. Parts and labor for a new engine is an option but very $$$ and I just gambled a bunch hoping the upper end repair would fix it. I could do it myself but there is a ton of time involved and I barely have any of that as it is. I'm on my 5th beer, so hopefully a clear answer will enter my head.

Idling:

Man, that just sucks. I'm so sorry to hear it.

Top Bottom