Watcha cookin'?

Not cooking it yet. Any suggestions on prepping/cooking this ribeye roast. I have a couple ideas floating. But also reading lots of options online....high initial temp then low. Sear first vs no sear, etc etc. Any go tos out there??

IMG_6232.JPG

It’s about 10.5 lbs if that makes a difference.

Not cooking it yet. Any suggestions on prepping/cooking this ribeye roast. I have a couple ideas floating. But also reading lots of options online....high initial temp then low. Sear first vs no sear, etc etc. Any go tos out there??

View attachment 317280

It’s about 10.5 lbs if that makes a difference.

Yup start hot and finish cool. You could sear it or just start with a super hot oven before knocking it down to 350. It essentially locks the moisture in the meat like searing it would. Cook for about 25 minutes on a super high heat(450 or so) if you don’t sear it before hand and then 16 minutes per pound after that at 350.

Make some slits in the meat and shove some garlic down in there. Then rub the outside with a blend of fresh thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and peppercorns that you pulverize in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. I like to cook mine with a shallow pan of dry red wine as well and make a rack out of aromatics such as carrots and onions and celery and fresh herbs.

Alternatively you could take the same herb mixture and add in some minced garlic, and lemon juice and mix it with a few sticks of soft unsalted butter to make an amazing herb butter to spread on the outside.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This is my go to...never fail rib roast recipe...every step is important...

Let rib roast sit out of fridge 1 full hour at room temp.

Preheat oven to 375

Season heavily with coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper....place on roasting pan fat cap side up

Put in oven at 375 for exactly one hour...then turn oven off and leave in oven for exactly 3 more hours...it is IMPERATIVE that the oven door is not opened during this time

Remove from oven, place on a large cutting board and tent with foil...let rest for 30 minutes before carving.

I've made my rib roast this way for three decades...comes out perfectly between rare & medium rare every time...

Yup start hot and finish cool. You could sear it or just start with a super hot oven before knocking it down to 350. It essentially locks the moisture in the meat like searing it would. Cook for about 25 minutes on a super high heat(450 or so) if you don’t sear it before hand and then 16 minutes per pound after that at 350.

Make some slits in the meat and shove some garlic down in there. Then rub the outside with a blend of fresh thyme, rosemary, sage, salt, and peppercorns that you pulverize in a spice grinder or mortar and pestle. I like to cook mine with a shallow pan of dry red wine as well and make a rack out of aromatics such as carrots and onions and celery and fresh herbs.

Alternatively you could take the same herb mixture and add in some minced garlic, and lemon juice and mix it with a few sticks of soft unsalted butter to make an amazing herb butter to spread on the outside.

Sear or high heat. That makes sense. Got the spices and deciding between a dry spice or a butter type rub. Wine in the pan is an option too. Hadn’t thought about that.

Preheat oven to 375

Season heavily with coarse sea salt and fresh ground black pepper....place on roasting pan fat cap side up

Put in oven at 375 for exactly one hour...then turn oven off and leave in oven for exactly 3 more hours...it is IMPERATIVE that the oven door is not opened during this time

Remove from oven, place on a large cutting board and tent with foil...let rest for 30 minutes before carving.

I've made my rib roast this way for three decades...comes out perfectly between rare & medium rare every time...

I’m saving that, because I gotta try this method. Judging by the food pictures you post, I would be inclined to say that you know what you’re doing lol

Preheat oven to 375

How big of a roast is this for? I’ve always did the rotisserie on the gas grill in the past, but now the drive motor is not well.

Top Bottom