The Kraken thread

Status
Not open for further replies.
Awesome build! I am uber jealous. But mine will get there. I ordered the JCR front stubby with stinger and stage 2 sliders yesterday.

Read this entire thread and I like your mods, over here on the east coast its more mud than rocks so I'll most likely skip out on the skins but the rest of your jeep is awesome. I'll probably be the only guy in the state running a stinger but the evo stinger looks way better than most other brands and that bumper probably looks silly without it but I do love how low the winch sits inside it and that it has d ring mounts.

Not a fan of the tire carrier but thats just a personal estetic opinion but I do love the way you back lit the evo logo.

I really like the evo rockers too but I don't like that they have to be welded on, I know thats way stronger but idk if I would be able to break the welds loose if I ever wanted to remove them.

I for sure need to get gussets soon as well as skids for the control arm mounts but I in no way have my build planned out like you had yours.

Sorry to hear about the recent problem.

I am getting ready to buy and install the EVO rear tire carrier.

What advice can you provide?

Sorry to hear about the recent problem.

I am getting ready to buy and install the EVO rear tire carrier.

What advice can you provide?

Its all good. Just gives me a reason to change the clutch.

Well. I would say that
1 Don't expect it to be easy or go smooth.
2 If you get into the rear of the jeep a bunch I would look to another carrier. I get into mine on a daily basis but would still use this one. It takes some abuse and still good as new.
3 Get a GOOD nutsert tool. not a cheap one but a GOOD one.
4 Take your time. Clean all the threads with a wire brush before trying to get the hime joints into the carrier. a little grease helps.
5 You have to cut a section out of the back of your rig to put the new lights on.
6 I would allow yourself 2 days to complete

The instructions are good. but take your time.

Its all good. Just gives me a reason to change the clutch.

Well. I would say that
1 Don't expect it to be easy or go smooth.
2 If you get into the rear of the jeep a bunch I would look to another carrier. I get into mine on a daily basis but would still use this one. It takes some abuse and still good as new.
3 Get a GOOD nutsert tool. not a cheap one but a GOOD one.
4 Take your time. Clean all the threads with a wire brush before trying to get the hime joints into the carrier. a little grease helps.
5 You have to cut a section out of the back of your rig to put the new lights on.
6 I would allow yourself 2 days to complete

The instructions are good. but take your time.

I agree. After spending 3-4 days over a months time just doing all the test fitting, its finally going to the powdercoater today. The things I would add are:
1. Sand as many of the sharp edges as possible, as they will not hold paint well, as evidenced but the prepainted EVO stuff. Just round all the edges. It takes a LONG time, but is necessary if you want the paint to last.
2. Don't force the johnny joints with a breaker bar if they won't install. Two of the four wouldn't install on mine, but $60 later a machine shop had it moving nicely. They said the threads hadn't been finished off at the beginning, so they weren't seating correctly from the get-go.
3. If you use the harbor freight nutsert tool, buy 2-3 of them at once. I completely wore out 2 of them. They have a lifetime warranty though so I got my money back. Free tools!
4. Be prepared for setbacks. No install goes smoothly.
5. Buy good drill bits, and lots of them. If drilling would have gone smoothly, I may have saved an entire day. However the drill would go through the metal on the first couple holes just fine, then it would just drill a little and stop progressing. Even tried cutting fluid to no avail. Had to drill out the center with small bits then work my way up. It got to the point where, on the tire carrier bracket holes in the rockskins, I had to finish the job with an abrasive dremel bit. NOT fun. Much cussing.

Feel free to ask me, or I'm sure Rick too, any questions you might have. If I had to do it over again, I'd go with someone else's bumper carrier. This install was a nightmare. If I lived closer to EVO, I would have paid them to do it, because I think it will be awesome when its done. But I would not do it again myself.

Hey thanks for the replies and advice on the tire carrier install. And sorry to momentarily hijack your thread.

Your jeeps looking great. And looking forward to seeing it progress further!

There is no such thing as hijacking on my thread you ask questions about my jeep and what I've done and answered. this is just a community type thread that feel free to ask anything.
Thanks.

There is no such thing as hijacking on my thread you ask questions about my jeep and what I've done and answered. this is just a community type thread that feel free to ask anything.
Thanks.

I can vouch for this, Rick is very helpful. Called him a couple times, very frustrated, about the skins/carrier install.

I don't envy you there. Never wanted to torture myself enough to do gears.
they are not that bad. just time consuming.

I am def interested in learning to do gears. Where is the best place to learn or read?

I learned from working on hotrods and jeeping with my father since i was very young. but there are some good videos on youtube. but reality the best is find someone that knows how and have them help you. there are lots of tricks to it.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Top Bottom