The Evolution of ENVY Build

Another trip to the Rubicon with my EVO Enforcer. This set up with the King 2.5s performed awesomely once again!! Not too many pics this year, but here is one Eddie/Cindy captured of ENVY pushing up Little Sluice.

ENVY Rubicon 2015.jpg

You're Jeep handled the Little Sluice and really, all of the Rubicon extremely well. Of course, you're not too bad of a driver and that helps a bit :D

You're Jeep handled the Little Sluice and really, all of the Rubicon extremely well. Of course, you're not too bad of a driver and that helps a bit :D

:blush: MANY thanks to you and all the runs I've been fortunate enough to join you and our friends on. I still lack years of experience, but I try to take in as much knowledge with every minute on the trail....and from what I read online of course. ;) Can't tell you enough, or really put into words how much fun it all has been. Hopefully my busy schedule through the end of the year will still allow me to sneak away for more trips. :yup:

Time to start getting ENVY ready for DD responsibilities again. A few issues came up while on the rubicon and so I thought I'd start addressing them this week. None are really that major.

The first was handled up at camp wayalife with a little brake work. Thanks Eddie for the help and spare brake clips!!

The second of which was a pesky sway bar blinking light since before our climb up Cadillac Hill. I was a luck in that the simplest fix cured my woes. I took apart the the electrical connection and sure enough, the seal was not correct and water, dirt and grime was trapped inside. So I shook out the water and let things air dry for a bit. Took an old toothbrush and small toothpick and did my best to clean and dry everything out. Then put the seal back on properly and closed everything back up.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437607707.934293.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437607767.722004.jpg

As stated, luck was on my side as my blinking light is no more. Guess the true test is whether it works next time.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437607672.294294.jpg

Still a couple things to work on, but that is all the updates for now.

I would throw some die electric grease on the sway bar connection to help prevent the water dirt issue. Gives it a little protection to hopefully last longer.

I would throw some die electric grease on the sway bar connection to help prevent the water dirt issue. Gives it a little protection to hopefully last longer.

Not a bad idea. I may do that as well. Didn't have any in the garage. This was just a quick attempt to see if I could spot any issues and a quick attempt to fix that worked.

Next item up is the hunt for a driveline vibration. After talking things over with JeepFan and Wayoflife, they advised that I have the front driveshaft pulled and serviced and start there. My front JE Reel 1350 has about 27k on it since last May. So today I took the first steps to getting the thing right. Dropped it off at PowerTrain.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437769671.475779.jpg

After dropping it off, was able to get some highway speed. Does appear the DS is the culprit, at least in part. The vibrations/buzzing I had is now gone. PT won't have it done till early next week. Hopefully it's as simple as a rebalance and reinstall. 👍👍👍

Hopefully it's as simple as a rebalance and reinstall. 

Hopefully! - I fought this from day one - either the Jeep was flighty or I had vibration, I think in is a very fine line with a stock axle and 4" of lift - I dialed the pinion angle up in small increments and when the vibration was gone - the Jeep became flighty so I dialed it back down a hair and lived with a slight vibration at speeds above 70 and just tried to stay around that speed. When I put my new axle in it all went away - now no vibration and drives like a dream - only problem is now I find myself driving too fast and my gas milage sucks :cheesy: Good Luck - hope this cures the problem. :thumb:

Next item up is the hunt for a driveline vibration. After talking things over with JeepFan and Wayoflife, they advised that I have the front driveshaft pulled and serviced and start there. My front JE Reel 1350 has about 27k on it since last May. So today I took the first steps to getting the thing right. Dropped it off at PowerTrain.

View attachment 155626

After dropping it off, was able to get some highway speed. Does appear the DS is the culprit, at least in part. The vibrations/buzzing I had is now gone. PT won't have it done till early next week. Hopefully it's as simple as a rebalance and reinstall. 👍👍👍

2WD like a boss.

Hopefully! - I fought this from day one - either the Jeep was flighty or I had vibration, I think in is a very fine line with a stock axle and 4" of lift - I dialed the pinion angle up in small increments and when the vibration was gone - the Jeep became flighty so I dialed it back down a hair and lived with a slight vibration at speeds above 70 and just tried to stay around that speed. When I put my new axle in it all went away - now no vibration and drives like a dream - only problem is now I find myself driving too fast and my gas milage sucks :cheesy: Good Luck - hope this cures the problem. :thumb:

This was with you're stock front driveshaft still, correct?. Not sure that it matters, but just curious. I also had a slight vibration, but usually only at 70mph and when going up any sort of grade.

Over the last few months/big trips, it started getting slightly worse and at different MPHs. The way home from Tahoe was the worst it's been, but still very drivable.

Once the DS work is done, I'm going have ORE install and then we'll trouble shoot from there if any more tweaks are necessary. But the Vibe did go away with DS pulled. Again, not sure what that means as I'm still learning through this experience. Like you said, fingers crossed we can get dialed in. 👍👍

Bad product vs did its job. What do you think???

Here's an open post on the Level 8 ZX wheels with ring guard. I purchased these wheels because I thought the wheel pattern was cool, they fit my budget and provided an optional ring guard to protect the wheel.

While on the rubicon, I snapped a portion on a rock. Second time this has happened (last time also on the rubicon). So in taking the ring off to replace, I thought I'd clean up the wheel and see how things look.

Here's some pics.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437776643.956012.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437776660.243694.jpg

Close up where the ring snapped.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437776678.975183.jpg

Just a couple feet away and a light cleaning of the dirt.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1437776729.707170.jpg

All in all, I think the guard did its job. I essentially have a decent looking wheel when the rings are off. Looking at the guard, my wheel could certainly look a lot worse.

Level 8 now has a newer version and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if in the same situation as when I bought these.

Just thought I'd share. Now off to clean the other 3 wheels as I think I'm going to rock the silver for a bit. 👍👍

Bad product vs did its job. What do you think???

Here's an open post on the Level 8 ZX wheels with ring guard. I purchased these wheels because I thought the wheel pattern was cool, they fit my budget and provided an optional ring guard to protect the wheel.

While on the rubicon, I snapped a portion on a rock. Second time this has happened (last time also on the rubicon). So in taking the ring off to replace, I thought I'd clean up the wheel and see how things look.

Here's some pics.

View attachment 155648
View attachment 155649

Close up where the ring snapped.
View attachment 155650

Just a couple feet away and a light cleaning of the dirt.

View attachment 155652

All in all, I think the guard did its job. I essentially have a decent looking wheel when the rings are off. Looking at the guard, my wheel could certainly look a lot worse.

Level 8 now has a newer version and I wouldn't hesitate to purchase if in the same situation as when I bought these.

Just thought I'd share. Now off to clean the other 3 wheels as I think I'm going to rock the silver for a bit. 👍👍

JAGS, it's hard to tell from your pictures, is the rock ring made of plastic?

JAGS, it's hard to tell from your pictures, is the rock ring made of plastic?

What Frank said pretty much. A ultra hard plastic resin. I've managed to snag the inside edge on a rock two years in a row. Lol. I have spare rings though, which are a hell of lot cheaper than a busted wheel.

Plus I maintain my mall crawler of America lifetime membership status for having pretty wheels.

Think about your cutting board at home. That's what it's made out of.

For some reason I immediately pictured this...:what:

That's what I use on the spare. Ha ha.

Top Bottom