The build/re-build of Gruff

Nice looking axles, I don't know why I though I had read they were moving the rear axle to the PR62 housing for that bundle but I guess I was wrong. Would still kill for a pair of those!!

Edit, Never mind I was still wrong, it was the front which might explain your question as to why the front upper control arm mount was cast into the pumpkin and not bolted like before.
View attachment 342820

I see that now. Funny, the pics still show the bolt on CA mount though. And their website doesn't even mention that the PR62 is the new diff being supplied. Now that I think about I did notice the bolts on the rear diff are now allen head instead of the 12 point fasteners they used to be. And the cover looks completely different than my old SF60. I'm gonna have to go look at these again. Darn....

This is what I explain to people when they ask about long arm kits and off-road. The EVO high clearance is the only one that makes sense for both on and off-road performance.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

Agree 100%. It's great that they now offer this as a kit, or at least the mounts are available separately. The frame mounts are like shovels on 37's.

Thanks! Going to coilovers now. And changing my rear LA setup to the high clearance mounts. When I did my existing LA setup a couple years ago the high clearance mounts either weren't available as a kit for the coilover setup or I didn't know it was available that way. Tired of dragging the std mounts over everything it seems. There were numerous obstacles that seemed unnecessarily hard because the frame mounts got caught and hung me up. We'll see....
Nice, going to be awesome! While I haven't owned a HCLA, or any long arm for that matter, wheeling with people who have the HC long arm, it's easy to tell how much less they get hung up on stuff, or even less sliding over, with the high clearance. In sure you'll be happy with it!

Sent from my SM-N960U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I see that now. Funny, the pics still show the bolt on CA mount though. And their website doesn't even mention that the PR62 is the new diff being supplied. Now that I think about I did notice the bolts on the rear diff are now allen head instead of the 12 point fasteners they used to be. And the cover looks completely different than my old SF60. I'm gonna have to go look at these again. Darn....

Probably cause your SF60 used the HP housing while your new rear axle is LP so it looks pretty much like a regular 60

Nice, going to be awesome! While I haven't owned a HCLA, or any long arm for that matter, wheeling with people who have the HC long arm, it's easy to tell how much less they get hung up on stuff, or even less sliding over, with the high clearance. In sure you'll be happy with it!

That's what I seem to notice on all of the videos. I could always tell when I was gonna get hung up on something. Will be nice to roll/slide over shit now!

:bleh:

How much more do you have to do? Are you mobile yet?

Waiting on track bars to arrive and into the shop it goes for final adjustment and alignment. Then a few shake downs in short order. Time to scrape up my new shiny parts

Another puzzle piece in - 8" stroke ram from PSC got here today. Thanks Bubba.
The last thing I need now (hahahahahaha) is the Bubba Tie Rod & I should be set with the parts.

psc.jpg

Awesome! I was surprised how much I needed to take off the steering stops to fully utilize the ram. But in the mall parking lot, it’s amazing how tight of a turning radius it has now. And no rubbing as of yet, but we’ll see as it flexes out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Awesome! I was surprised how much I needed to take off the steering stops to fully utilize the ram. But in the mall parking lot, it’s amazing how tight of a turning radius it has now. And no rubbing as of yet, but we’ll see as it flexes out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That's one of the things I'm most curious to find out - what the turning radius is going to be like compared to my PR44. How do the kingpin axles compare to ball jointed axles in that regard - do you know?

That's one of the things I'm most curious to find out - what the turning radius is going to be like compared to my PR44. How do the kingpin axles compare to ball jointed axles in that regard - do you know?

I don’t know compared to the PR44, but to my old setup, the turning radius is significant better. I never ground down the stops on my old axle’s Reid knuckles, but should have. I don’t believe there’s a difference between the king pin and ball joints as far as radius goes. Just that the are stronger and last longer.

What width is you PR60? I’m 71.5” wide with 4.5” of back spacing. Between both setups I only gained about 3.5” in width even though I went to 13.5” wide tires. Right now I Measure 84.5” out to out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I don’t know compared to the PR44, but to my old setup, the turning radius is significant better. I never ground down the stops on my old axle’s Reid knuckles, but should have. I don’t believe there’s a difference between the king pin and ball joints as far as radius goes. Just that the are stronger and last longer.

What width is you PR60? I’m 71.5” wide with 4.5” of back spacing. Between both setups I only gained about 3.5” in width even though I went to 13.5” wide tires. Right now I Measure 84.5” out to out.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I never did anything with my Reids either. I was ok with the turning radius so I just left them as-is.
My axles are 68.5" wide. I may mount my wheels up just to see how wide they are. I went with 3.5" BS as that's what my Chamber Pros are & I had no rubbing with the 13.5" wide 37" Coopers.

Yeah, your going to be about .5” tighter on each side than mine so I think your good. Just grind the stops down slowly once it is all mounted up. I ended up taking of 5/16” the stops each side.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Just remember, everything is a trade off. The downside of better turning radius is that the sharper the angle, the weaker the u-joints get.

The three of them I've broken in the recent past have all happened at full lock, or very close to it.

Granted, with 60s come bigger ones, but also bigger tires.

Just remember, everything is a trade off. The downside of better turning radius is that the sharper the angle, the weaker the u-joints get.

The three of them I've broken in the recent past have all happened at full lock, or very close to it.

Granted, with 60s come bigger ones, but also bigger tires.

Very good point.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Unlike Bill, I’m having interference issues at full turn right now. I ground my stops to match my shiny new ram (which I haven’t posted about) and I’m hitting my DL at full turn no matter what. Might need to get creative in the end here but we will see once I get it to the shop

Unlike Bill, I’m having interference issues at full turn right now. I ground my stops to match my shiny new ram (which I haven’t posted about) and I’m hitting my DL at full turn no matter what. Might need to get creative in the end here but we will see once I get it to the shop

I still can’t figure out what’s different between our two setups??

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Top Bottom