TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Im fairly certain I have seen Eddie post up pics of everything he breaks. Any good r&d will want to know when and why something broke. I remember him posting a pic of a bracket or mount that broke on rubicat and the bandaid fix he did while out in the bush.

To be fair, there have been products in the past that I have seen break and I had not posted pics about or, at least not until now. Believe what you will but MOST of these were in fact on TeraFlex products. Back then, a lot of these products had just come out and being that I had a working relationship with them at the time, it was my hope that I could pass on what I had seen, have them take it as R&D, fix the problem and get the improved version into the hands of their customers. In the case of their crappy joints, there solution was to send me a big box of rebuild kits so that I could fix rigs on the trail. In the case of their track bars, their solution was to eventually come out with a better version but, as they are doing with this tire carrier, only made them available IF a customer broke theirs. In the case of their crappy rocker guards, nothing was done. In the case of their long arm brackets tearing off, they blamed it on improper installation and when enough started to break, they added a gusset but even with it, people kept on breaking them. As the years went on and it became more and more clear to me that public safety wasn't a top priority for them, I began to question and regret my decision to keep quite about matters like this. The only thing I can do now is apologize for having kept quite and do what I can now to not make the same mistakes again. The haters can accuse me of bashing TeraFlex for not advertising with us but I can assure you that I wouldn't be interested in taking their money again even if they wanted to.

To address what you have seen of me, I do in fact post up everything including breaks that occur on products made by personal friends of mine like when I broke a shaft on my semi-float ProRock 60. Of course, the owner of Dynatrac is a personal friend of mine and not only did he wheel up to Double Whammy to bring me a spare shaft, he did it as he was breaking down his display at the vendor show and getting ready to head on home. With addition problems I had, he was even kind enough to tow our rig home and loan me a Jeep that I could drive it home. Hell, he even allowed me to hang on to it for over a week after the fact so that he could do R&D on my axle. IF ANYTHING, Jim is someone I would have wanted to protect by not posting about the break BUT, I did anyway. Of course, people will believe whatever it is they want to believe.

To be fair, there have been products in the past that I have seen break and I had not posted pics about or, at least not until now. Believe what you will but MOST of these were in fact on TeraFlex products. Back then, a lot of these products had just come out and being that I had a working relationship with them at the time, it was my hope that I could pass on what I had seen, have them take it as R&D, fix the problem and get the improved version into the hands of their customers. In the case of their crappy joints, there solution was to send me a big box of rebuild kits so that I could fix rigs on the trail. In the case of their track bars, their solution was to eventually come out with a better version but, as they are doing with this tire carrier, only made them available IF a customer broke theirs. In the case of their crappy rocker guards, nothing was done. In the case of their long arm brackets tearing off, they blamed it on improper installation and when enough started to break, they added a gusset but even with it, people kept on breaking them. As the years went on and it became more and more clear to me that public safety wasn't a top priority for them, I began to question and regret my decision to keep quite about matters like this. The only thing I can do now is apologize for having kept quite and do what I can now to not make the same mistakes again. The haters can accuse me of bashing TeraFlex for not advertising with us but I can assure you that I wouldn't be interested in taking their money again even if they wanted to.

To address what you have seen of me, I do in fact post up everything including breaks that occur on products made by personal friends of mine like when I broke a shaft on my semi-float ProRock 60. Of course, the owner of Dynatrac is a personal friend of mine and not only did he wheel up to Double Whammy to bring me a spare shaft, he did it as he was breaking down his display at the vendor show and getting ready to head on home. With addition problems I had, he was even kind enough to tow our rig home and loan me a Jeep that I could drive it home. Hell, he even allowed me to hang on to it for over a week after the fact so that he could do R&D on my axle. IF ANYTHING, Jim is someone I would have wanted to protect by not posting about the break BUT, I did anyway. Of course, people will believe whatever it is they want to believe.

If I owned a parts company, I would want to know when things break, so that I could improve my products and prevent this from happening in the future, after all, your name is on the products, so hiding breaks wouldn't do me a service, just keep me in the dark of the issues. Im sure both EVo and Dynatrac would want to know if there is a problem with something, so that they can make sure they fix it. It might not even be them. It could be a bad batch of steel, a malfunctioning welder, whatever.

813E87EF-2B72-4CD7-B44B-7DA863D764D4-4805-000007238FF4F5A9_zps08c13652.jpgi would be pissed off if i spent 700 bucks to have these kind of cracks. i'll save up for a quality American made product instead.

View attachment 84091i would be pissed off if i spent 700 bucks to have these kind of cracks. i'll save up for a quality American made product instead.

You just can't make this stuff up. Of course, any normal person would be pissed but fanboys are anything but normal. Apparently, they measure their manhood with the products that they choose to buy.

Obviously an install error.

Obviously. A quality Chinese product doesn't just break like that even if the installer followed the directions provided to a T and the manufacturer provides NO information regarding the appropriate amount of back spacing needed for use.

lol, if i remember the guy was happy because teraflex replaced it free of charge and "made it right"..

What he should be happy about is that nobody got hurt from it breaking off on the highway and hitting someone. Of course, if actually "made it right", there would have been nothing to replace for free.

I saw this posted on project-jk, and now that I know a little about the background between TeraFlex and Eddie, I understand completely. I actually thought about switching to this setup at one point in time but I'll stick with my El Cheapo Rancho!

Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

Judging from their Facebook feeds, it's baffling how many misinformed people still choose to mouth off, especially those saying Eddie has no experience with Teraflex. I've had a bad run with Teraflex products breaking, which is why I decided to switch out. But to each their own, I guess :grayno:.

Im fairly certain I have seen Eddie post up pics of everything he breaks. Any good r&d will want to know when and why something broke. I remember him posting a pic of a bracket or mount that broke on rubicat and the bandaid fix he did while out in the bush.

Yup!

I saw breaks posted on here about evo1 at KOH and never saw censorship :thinking:

View attachment 84091i would be pissed off if i spent 700 bucks to have these kind of cracks. i'll save up for a quality American made product

Yup! My GenRight, which can handle up to a 42" was cheaper than this POS and much sexier!

While I never personally had any problems with teraflex tire carrier (even bombing out on the dunes), I was still wary about it breaking and checked it all the time. Eventually I dinged my body right around the license plate bracket and figured I'd change up everything in the back. I told teraflex that I wasn't confident in the product after seeing some breaks (I had the first gen). Their only offer was for me to destroy the tire carrier and they would send an "updated" one to me, or send it to them and they would destroy it. So I destroyed it myself. There was no refund option on the table.

I never got around to installing it though. The hinge I ended up selling used as it was a pretty solid piece of metal and I had no issues with the hinge itself, and so far haven't seen any issues with the hinges.

I was just tired of all the checking and hoping that today wouldn't be the day that it broke. Since I had a ding around the license plate I figured it was time for armor, and with that I decided I may as well go with the evo carrier, which I have absolutely no worries about breaking on me! Originally I wanted to keep everything "factory" looking which is what drew my to the teraflex in the first place, but after seeing the evo carrier I have pretty much got rid of those plans :yup:

The only issues is now I worry about people stealing my hinge pins :thinking:, luckily I can see them in the mirror and don't have to walk around the back and open the tailgate and inspect the metal for that :cheesy:

So since I don't care about blanking peoples names out, here is the same person that had the teraflex break.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1400622408.634911.jpg

Still have faith?

Maybe these have been posted before, but here are just a few videos of what it looks like when a tire goes bouncing across the road.

Why anyone would take the chance is beyond me.

I like how nobody stopped in the 3rd video. Stay classy people. :thumb:

Top Bottom