TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

I went ahead and got rid of mine.

Mine never broke, but I checked it after every trip I took, and then I decided I was tired of being worried about how the worst could happen so I went ahead and got rid of it. Spare is sitting in the back strapped down until I can afford a different one, wanted to go a different direction anyway.

I read a number of the posts here but it's hard to tell with all the bickering if the Teraflex current unit is defective and has been updated or what the general consensus is on it the adjustable wheel/tire mount? I have the unit that I bought new last fall and I absolutely don't want to worry about the liability of this thing breaking. Has it been demonstrated that the updated gusseted design with the fully round cylinder (not the original with the two holes in the side) is failing?

I read a number of the posts here but it's hard to tell with all the bickering if the Teraflex current unit is defective and has been updated or what the general consensus is on it the adjustable wheel/tire mount? I have the unit that I bought new last fall and I absolutely don't want to worry about the liability of this thing breaking. Has it been demonstrated that the updated gusseted design with the fully round cylinder (not the original with the two holes in the side) is failing?

i honestly wouldnt trust it at all even if it was updated. :twocents:

Being that TeraFlex is being so secretive about the whole thing, it's hard to say for sure. Even with it the additional support gussets or it being fully round, I wouldn't trust it simply because of where it's made, the fact that there it provides insufficient support to prevent the spare from jiggling around and the fact that it will STILL leave your spare exposed to big obstacles and ledges. Catching your spare one of these WILL cause significant damage to your tail gate and rear glass.

Wow, since the updated part I had not read anything negative on the carrier since I installed it but I also didn't seek out info. Where is it made that is a concern? Teraflex or China? I had thought about getting rid of it only because the tailgate is sooooo hard to open or close as the hinge is super tight. My wife can't close it so if she ever opens it for something she just leaves it open for me to close. I much prefer the stock look of the Teraflex to others but I am open to that Maximus 3 design although it's obviously very new. The AEV I like but can't stand the off center thing. Huh guess I better do some more digging. Thanks.

Wow, since the updated part I had not read anything negative on the carrier since I installed it but I also didn't seek out info. Where is it made that is a concern? Teraflex or China? I had thought about getting rid of it only because the tailgate is sooooo hard to open or close as the hinge is super tight. My wife can't close it so if she ever opens it for something she just leaves it open for me to close. I much prefer the stock look of the Teraflex to others but I am open to that Maximus 3 design although it's obviously very new. The AEV I like but can't stand the off center thing. Huh guess I better do some more digging. Thanks.

It is made in China like all TeraFlex products but it's not just the poor quality of the metal used or the lack of quality control that causes many of their products to fail, it's also the design of it. Having said that, EVEN IF it were strong as kryptonite, I would still look into replacing it with something that takes your spare off your tailgate as your spare WILL cause severe damage to it if it catches on a big rock or ledge or climbing out of a steep ditch. This is something I have seen on more than one occasion and the biggest reason why I would never recommend it.

I might recommend you look at LoD and Expedition One as well as they both hand really nice and easy to use one handed operation bumper tire carriers.

Having said that, EVEN IF it were strong as kryptonite

LoL... Chinese steel is strong like kryptonite. .. that may be their new marketing campaign. They can provide the certs to prove it.

Unfortunately Chinese steel has more defects that their business ethics...

watching the last jk experience, i can see how a design like the teraflex and rotopax mounts can do some damage to the gate and rear window.:shock:

This thread just made up my mind. I had planned to buy a teraflex hinge in the next month but I think I'll go AEV for my Rubi X bumper. Thanks WOL for bringing this to the public's attention. :thumb:

Unfortunately Chinese steel has more defects that their business ethics...

While I agree with this completely, it should be noted that a large amount of Steel used in the US originates from China as well. So even if you are buying a US made product it could still be made with China metal. In fact, I had to put a fair amount of effort into finding a US source of DOM tubing when I last purchased it.

I always thought the Teraflex carrier was overpriced as well. Might as well get a real tire carrier instead of cut corners.

While I agree with this completely, it should be noted that a large amount of Steel used in the US originates from China as well. So even if you are buying a US made product it could still be made with China metal. In fact, I had to put a fair amount of effort into finding a US source of DOM tubing when I last purchased it.

100% agree. I would like to think most companies building things meant to be strong are also aware of this and use US made steel or at least the "good" chinese stuff.

I always thought the Teraflex carrier was overpriced as well. Might as well get a real tire carrier instead of cut corners.

^^^This!! Back when it first came out, I spoke out about the high price point for what little product they are actually supplying and I caught quite a bit of flack for it :crazyeyes:

ga6usuha.jpg

Found this post on Instagram just now. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm glad I got rid of my teraflex carrier

ga6usuha.jpg

Found this post on Instagram just now. Sorry to dig up an old thread but I'm glad I got rid of my teraflex carrier

As I have been stating all along - you just can't make this stuff up! I just love how the person who posted up the pic is so happy about getting a new one sent to him and right after stating how dangerous it could have been had the spare fallen off on the highway. :rolleyes2:

TeraFlex, if you're reading this now, shame on you for not recalling your dangerous overpriced tire carrier.

As I have been stating all along - you just can't make this stuff up! I just love how the person who posted up the pic is so happy about getting a new one sent to him and right after stating how dangerous it could have been had the spare fallen off on the highway. :rolleyes2:

TeraFlex, if you're reading this now, shame on you for not recalling your dangerous overpriced tire carrier.

I agree with you 100% great customer service would be recalling all of them, not replacing what's broken with something that will more than likely break again. Once I mounted my 2 gallon rotopax full of gas on my teraflex carrier, I knew it was time to get rid of that thing... Rattled and shook like you wouldn't believe

You know they read this and you also know they won't do shit. Lol be nice if they did though.

ga6usuha.jpg

I just saw this post as well as I follow him also. You beat me to the punch on posting it and I wouldn't have taken his name out either lol

I agree that they really do need to just do a 100% recall on these and replace it with a better product. Even then I still wouldn't buy it lol

Sent from my iPhone

I agree with you 100% great customer service would be recalling all of them, not replacing what's broken with something that will more than likely break again. Once I mounted my 2 gallon rotopax full of gas on my teraflex carrier, I knew it was time to get rid of that thing... Rattled and shook like you wouldn't believe

Oh, I can believe it. What I can't believe is that people actually spend as much money as they do for it and with the thinking it's somehow "stronger" than the factory setup.

You know they read this and you also know they won't do shit. Lol be nice if they did though.

I think they know that so long as they keep on sending out replacements, their fanboys will keep the breaks quite or worse, come to their defense and troll guys like me. With any luck, nobody will ever get seriously hurt from one of their tire carriers.

I kick myself in the butt every time someone bumps this thread. I must admit I was fooled. My biggest thing when I invest in any Jeep product is Peace of Mind. Peace of Mind it will last, and it will be safe. And I don't have Peace of Mind with this product. I check my TF carrier every time I get on & off the trail. I check it every time I open the tailgate. I check it any chance I get. The constant worrying my spare might break free on the highway after a weekend trip of wheeling and god forbid hurt someone is intolerable. At $700 for the TF carrier, I was pretty much half way there to buy the EVO carrier I really wanted. :grayno:

Top Bottom