TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Ahhh, I'd like to believe you but because you used the word fanboy in that statement I just can't. :cheesy:

A classic conundrum. Maybe I used it to tricking you into thinking I'm not in fact Fan Man bit just an ordinary reporter for the Daily News.

To get this thread back on topic, please note that this is the original post that I made....

I know the TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier is a hot item right now but before you drop some serious coin for one, I just wanted to make sure you all know that this is something we saw happen to a brand new one last week...

View attachment 15761

Please note, this was holding a 37" Nitto Trail Grappler and according to TeraFlex, is within their recommended specifications. After closer examination, it is my opinion that the design of this tire carrier needs some serious improvements and hopefully before someone gets hurt. Please note, I am not trying to "bash" TeraFlex here, I just want to make sure you are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

If you read nothing else on this thread, please read it.

But I have seen the break and unlike you, have a pretty good idea how it broke.

So in effect, you're only purpose for chiming in on this thread at all is to self-righteously preach at others - nice :thumb:

And I just don't see the necessity of you preaching at people just because you disagree with what they have to say.

Since you seemed to have missed it, I really couldn't care less what you think. Clearly, you have already chosen to believe whatever it is you want to believe and really, that's fine by me. Now that we know where we all stand, why not find another street corner and go preach over there :yup:

I think you have missed the point. I don't "believe" or "preach" anything about the safety of the carrier. I would just rather see a discussion about a product not degrade into name calling.

I think you have missed the point. I don't "believe" or "preach" anything about the safety of the carrier. I would just rather see a discussion about a product not degrade into name calling.

And I think it is you who missed the point - I DON'T CARE WHAT YOU WOULD RATHER SEE. I would rather see self-righteous guys like you not be so sensitive but you won't see me preaching at you to man up. Since you seem to have missed it, nobody is forcing you to see anything. :yup:

Here's a fun fact,

I was riding with the guy when this break occurred.

Contrary to what people believe we were not hitting the whoops hard and beating on the jeep.

We drove no more than 15 miles on sandy road and maybe a couple hundred feet on small rocks. The freeway in LA beats on the jeep more than what we did.

We heard a loud pop and then the tire smacking back and forth.

Just joined this forum and was searching around and found this thread. I thought I read it pretty thoroughly but didn't see anything about a recall? Did anything come of this guys? Sorry if I missed it!

Does the owner of the busted carrier want to sell it? I'll take it as is if the price is right.

Shoot me a PM.
Thanks.

Just joined this forum and was searching around and found this thread. I thought I read it pretty thoroughly but didn't see anything about a recall? Did anything come of this guys? Sorry if I missed it!

Nope. Even though TeraFlex sent a new and reinforced mount, they are now telling people that they didn't and are apparently allowing others to believe he installed it wrong. :rolleyes2:

Update

Just to update this thread for those who are considering or already have the carrier, Teraflex is now including gussets on the tube side attached to the tailgate and on the inside of the tube attached to the tire. I have the Teraflex carrier which includes both. Doug Henderson at Teraflex was helpful for me on this concern.

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to provide updated facts on this issue.

Just to update this thread for those who are considering or already have the carrier, Teraflex is now including gussets on the tube side attached to the tailgate and on the inside of the tube attached to the tire. I have the Teraflex carrier which includes both. Doug Henderson at Teraflex was helpful for me on this concern.

I don't have any skin in the game other than wanting to provide updated facts on this issue.

Really? And for one reason or another, this is how you chose to make your very first post on this forum? :naw:

Regardless, let the record show yet again that I WAS RIGHT and TERAFLEX WAS WRONG and I'm glad they are finally doing something about it. I don't know how many people have the bad version that is prone to breaking but, I sure hope nobody gets hurt from one of them.

Really? And for one reason or another, this is how you chose to make your very first post on this forum? :naw:

Regardless, let the record show yet again that I WAS RIGHT and TERAFLEX WAS WRONG and I'm glad they are finally doing something about it. I don't know how many people have the bad version that is prone to breaking but, I sure hope nobody gets hurt from one of them.

Your just an EVO fanboy Ed. :crazyeyes:

From my experience with this tire carrier it's been a pain in the butt getting it just right but I have had no problems with it since

Ouch, that hurt. And my wife and I even bought wayolife shirts from you guys!!

Gotta make a first post somehow...one way or another I figured some flames were comin'. I thought that is what Ed would say... :yup:

Last edited:
Top Bottom