TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

That's a structural break I hate how teraflex acts like they make the strongest products when most of the time they are cheap pos but at least it's not the actual hinge assembly just that cheesy piece that holds tire I might go with the hinge but not buy that pos universal tire mount

To this day, I have yet to see or hear of a single OE tailgate hinge break even if it were holding up a 35" or 37" tire. Why replace something that has proven itself to work and work well?

No u misunderstood me you know how that teraflex carrier comes in two pieces the piece that bolts to the tailgate is there to strengthen the tailgate so it doesn't bend from extra weight than they have that piece that screws into new tailgate mount that us adjustable that's what broke I'm saying just get the piece that screws to the tailgate not the adj tire mount if you get what I mean

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No u misunderstood me you know how that teraflex carrier comes in two pieces the piece that bolts to the tailgate is there to strengthen the tailgate so it doesn't bend from extra weight than they have that piece that screws into new tailgate mount that us adjustable that's what broke I'm saying just get the piece that screws to the tailgate not the adj tire mount if you get what I mean

Nope, I understood you just fine and think you may have misunderstood me. What I'm saying is that in the 6+ years of the JK's life, I have yet to see or hear of a tailgate bend from extra weight or have hinges that failed. Unless you can show me otherwise, what I'm saying is that there is no evidence that the tailgate needs to be strengthened at all in this manner.

That's my point. If your factory hinges didn't look like that after a winter, I wouldn't accept this is as being normal. But, that's just me.

Gosh I misunderstood you there. I though you were asking about the TF hinges when I got em out of the box... :doh:

Anyway, the factory hinges aren't that rusty either. I just hope they will at least give me any feedback.

No not the beach but there is a lot of salt on our road here. Every year I do a rust preventer spray under my jeep and eveywhere I see it fit. Unfortunatly I haven't the carrier at this time last year. But, in any way rust came out that badly in a short time. Beside, I rinse my jeep when I get to work so salt shouldn't be a major problem. (But still a problem anyway lol)

simply rinsing the salt is not enough. unfortunately the salt really eats away everything if not "washed" away. this is why i find it amazing that it is still being used to clear roads as it clearly damages everything ON the road. good luck though but I think some primer/paint should fix you up. Pain in the but yes, but it should work.

I got ya I haven't seen one but I know my tj the tailgate bent so bad from making my 35 fit on stock carrier that I have to get all new hinges from junkyard I guess the jk hinges are much stronger I'm just going based on my tj my jk is still stock at the moment , waiting to empty out the savings at evo soon haha ill see how a 37 hold up on my carrier when I get them

Honestly that is a powdercoat issue. Being where you live the salt just eats through cheap powdercoat. I used to live in Central NY and that happened every time I got a new part with cheap powdercoat.

There won't be any structural damage if you get it taken care of soon (after the snow melts is soon enough). Just throw some spray paint on it after sanding and prepping it and it will last a lot longer then that crap powdercoat they used.

I got ya I haven't seen one but I know my tj the tailgate bent so bad from making my 35 fit on stock carrier that I have to get all new hinges from junkyard I guess the jk hinges are much stronger I'm just going based on my tj my jk is still stock at the moment , waiting to empty out the savings at evo soon haha ill see how a 37 hold up on my carrier when I get them

The YJ hinges were really weak, the TJ hinges were stronger but, not as strong as the JK. Unlike the previous Wranglers, the JK hinges have proven themselves to hold up quite a bit.

Having said that, IF you wheel your Jeep, I wouldn't recommend keeping your spare attached to your tailgate.

The YJ hinges were really weak, the TJ hinges were stronger but, not as strong as the JK. Unlike the previous Wranglers, the JK hinges have proven themselves to hold up quite a bit.

Having said that, IF you wheel your Jeep, I wouldn't recommend keeping your spare attached to your tailgate.

Cool thanks I plan on keeping it attached cuz I just don't like having to open the carrier than the tailgate I'm lazy lol

Cool thanks I plan on keeping it attached cuz I just don't like having to open the carrier than the tailgate I'm lazy lol

There are bumpers out there that will allow you to do just that. Expedition One, LoD, AEV and even Hanson to name a few. You get to take the weight of your spare off the tail gate and on to the frame, get beefy protection on your rear end and can still open your tailgate with one hand and with ease. Yes, they will cost a bit more but, just a bit more and in my opinion, these are much better options.

I love me EXP ONE bumper/carrier. It is definitely beefy thats for sure. and the smooth motion carrier works great!

Hey guys, I bring this thread back with another issue... Rust... I'd like to hear what you think about it, normal wear? I installed the hinged carrier this winter, so it's quite recent. Both hinges are rusted all over and the paint is flaking apart. I contacted TF customer services, waiting for a response...

Well, mine has been on for about a month. Through a few snow storms with salt. Already rusting. I'm liking this thing less and less.
My wishfull thinking is rusting away.
Dave

I was looking at this tire carrier but reading this post, seeing the facts and photos really makes me reconsider, I love the Teraflex suspension and all but the tire carrier doesn't appeal to me that much anymore, plus I want a bumper with a winch plate and those run a little more than a standard bumper and tore carrier so I'll save my money from this TF tirecarrier

Sent from JKU EXTREME from his Wayalife iPhone app

There have been a couple more breaks going around the other forums. From the pics posted it was in the same fashion as the break shown in this thread.....just adjacent to the weld. :naw:

The fanboys are still defending by saying the install is the issue, and all you gotta do is call teraflex and get it replaced.....wtf?

rtguy1 are you still using this carrier? or have you thought about any other ones?

I'm still running it. It has been ok so far. I've done my best to snug it up and added a rubber bumper on the drivers side. I've only had a 37" on it for about 10 days. I ran a 35 on it since it came out. I hope to make it last as long as possible. My rig limits what I can do for a carrier. I don't want a rear bumper, and can't really run one. With the chop out back and stretch corners the area where the evo carrier mounts is now MIA.

View attachment 27479

I will probably swap it eventually, but hopefully not sooner than later. Do to my particular build, the genright carrier will probably be the one I go with, unless i can afford for Mel to make his carrier work. I have discussed it with him and I concluded it really isn't if he can do it, but rather can I/do I want to afford it.:cheesy:

Last edited:
Hopefully it lasts you a while, but I was going to suggest the genright if you were looking for a replacement because it should work with your setup.

Hopefully it lasts you a while, but I was going to suggest the genright if you were looking for a replacement because it should work with your setup.

:thumb: that's what I'm thinking is gonna be the easiest swap for me. I know it's just a matter of time for this tf carrier to dump on me. I'm bummed. It really is a good idea/concept but they really f'd up the adjustable piece. Unless they come clean and admit to the issue and fix this, or make something to replace this that can handle what they claim, I will be changing it up.

I'm still running it. It has been ok so far.

I will probably swap it eventually, but hopefully not sooner than later.

Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I've had mine on for a few months now and honestly, I love this set up! As you know, with a two door daily driver, you are constantly opening and closing the back. Why bother with a big clucky carrier if this does the job just as well. Besides, judging by the pic of yours and Vengeance, you spare sits higher, does it not?

There have been a couple more breaks going around the other forums. From the pics posted it was in the same fashion as the break shown in this thread.....just adjacent to the weld. :naw:

The fanboys are still defending by saying the install is the issue, and all you gotta do is call teraflex and get it replaced.....wtf?

Of course there are more breaks and I have no doubts there will be more to come just like we've seen with their front track bars and long arm mounts. What disappoints me is the way TeraFlex tries to blame their customers, hide the breaks and hide behind their fanboys rather than do what Quadratec did with their faulty floor mats - own up to the fact and fix the problem.

Hey, if it ain't broke, why fix it? I've had mine on for a few months now and honestly, I love this set up! As you know, with a two door daily driver, you are constantly opening and closing the back. Why bother with a big clucky carrier if this does the job just as well.

Because if it does break, someone can get hurt really bad. Just because you don't care doesn't mean that others don't too. There have been multiple breaks that have been recorded now and it is a very real problem.

Top Bottom