TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Found this a while back and just saved the image. All hearsay but the guy said its his wife's jeep with a stock wheel and tire. Says it didn't hit anything but who knows, right? Maybe the wife bumped something at the local grocer....lol claims it started squeaking for a bit then it went away. Took off the spare to find this.

View attachment 19221

Found this a while back and just saved the image. All hearsay but the guy said its his wife's jeep with a stock wheel and tire. Says it didn't hit anything but who knows, right? Maybe the wife bumped something at the local grocer....lol claims it started squeaking for a bit then it went away. Took off the spare to find this.

View attachment 19221

Well, that's a first for me. Like I said before, "I" had never seen it before. Did he happen to say what size spare he was carrying, on what kind of wheel, with what kind of back spacing and, was the sidewalls making full contact with the rubber isolators? Not that I would trust a factory tire carrier anymore than the TeraFlex one for wheeling anyway.

It was supposedly a stock spare and tire....as in how it comes from the factory. Seems fishy to me though. I'm betting the wife backed into something and didn't say anything. Prob inspected the rig, didn't see any visible damage and said oh well he'll never know...lol. Until the squeaking began:doh:

It was supposedly a stock spare and tire....as in how it comes from the factory. Seems fishy to me though. I'm betting the wife backed into something and didn't say anything. Prob inspected the rig, didn't see any visible damage and said oh well he'll never know...lol. Until the squeaking began:doh:

Yeah, if it really had a stock spare on and installed like it comes from the factory, I have hard time believing that it "just broke".

Well, this thread has been an interesting read.

Both my father and I have had this tire + carrier for oh, 2 months or so now. My father originally had a swing arm bumper mounted carrier (rugged ridge), but given that both of our jeeps are daily drivers, we didn't want anything that rattled, and boy did the rugged ridge one rattle (even when we had the spare off it would rattle).

On the sand dunes I could see the rugged ridge carrier going back and forth towards the glass with at least 4 inches if not more of travel, which is what prompted us to get these (We have the hinge and carrier), so far it's been exemplary, haven't had any rattles, haven't had any mysterious clunks, and it holds up great.

When I was at the dunes I was running stock carrier and stock wheels and tires, now that I'm up to 35's, I moved to this carrier for a few reasons. Number one, everyone was loving theirs. Number two, I don't like having two mechanisms for opening up the back (hey, the mall is where it likes to hang out often), and number three, I don't do a lot of things like rock crawling where I'm going to drag my spare on a rock and bust it, The tailgate mounted style seemed to fit my bill the best.

However, after reading this thread, I can see exactly where this could definitely be a problem (especially since i like to go fast on the sand) and I do have plans to contact teraflex for those extra gussets. Heading up to the dunes in a few weeks time, will definitely keep an eye on it. So far, so good on mine, and I hope it continues for a long time to come, hoping that with the relatively light KM2's at 35 inches I won't end up in a similar situation. Thanks for the heads up. No company is infallible, Apple had the LISA, microsoft had the KIN, windows ME, and even HDDVD. Every company stuffs up once in a while, but being on the hush hush about it is does get suspicious.

I'd strongly suggest everyone contact teraflex about it and ask for a new gusseted carrier, the more the word gets out the less they can ignore it.

check out this pic straight from OFF ROAD EVOULTION's facebook page. This adjustable mount definitely has some gussets added on it. These are on the outside unlike the gussets WOL posted which were on the inside. I'm curious how much these will help, and who installed them? Was this done by TF, the customer, or ORE? It also appears to have a beefed up weld across the top seam but it is difficult to tell in this pic.

Image from Off Road Evolution Facebook Page
View attachment 19628

check out this pic straight from OFF ROAD EVOULTION's facebook page. This adjustable mount definitely has some gussets added on it. These are on the outside unlike the gussets WOL posted which were on the inside. I'm curious how much these will help, and who installed them? Was this done by TF, the customer, or ORE? It also appears to have a beefed up weld across the top seam but it is difficult to tell in this pic.

Image from Off Road Evolution Facebook Page
View attachment 19628

What you are showing is NOT where the break occurs. Everything about the tailgate part of this carrier is beefy - it's the adjustable secondary piece that that the spare bolts up to and slips into the main mount it that's made out of thin metal, weak and comes without any additional support. Please refer back to the pics that I had posted up.

What you are showing is NOT where the break occurs. Everything about the tailgate part of this carrier is beefy - it's the adjustable secondary piece that that the spare bolts up to and slips into the main mount it that's made out of thin metal, weak and comes without any additional support. Please refer back to the pics that I had posted up.

oh i know. thats why i mentioned that these were different from the ones you had posted. I need to remeber to be more clear cuz u all cant read my mind. I'm still curious where these came from and why exactly they were installed. when i looked at the pic, i was like something looks different....lol

oh i know. thats why i mentioned that these were different from the ones you had posted. I need to remeber to be more clear cuz u all cant read my mind. I'm still curious where these came from and why exactly they were installed. when i looked at the pic, i was like something looks different....lol

LOL!! I think we are definitely not on the same page here. The plate you see with the holes in it and 3 studs is the secondary adjustable part that the spare attaches too. It sticks inside the big main mount bolted onto your tailgate. There's nothing different about what I showed other than the fact that I only showed the secondary adjustable piece. Does that make sense?

LOL!! I think we are definitely not on the same page here. The plate you see with the holes in it and 3 studs is the secondary adjustable part that the spare attaches too. It sticks inside the big main mount bolted onto your tailgate. There's nothing different about what I showed other than the fact that I only showed the secondary adjustable piece. Does that make sense?

i know, i sadly have installed one on my rig:cheesy:. the part with the studs slides into the piece bolted to the gate and the main carrier. the piece that it slides into is NOT part of the main carrier though, its part of the adjustable mount kit. When you buy the hinged carrier you get the hinge, and when you but the adjustable mount you get both the piece that bolts to the gate to accept the studded section, and the sliding studded piece. This is why I still refer to it as the adjustable mount, as its part of it. The system is 3 pieces, the main hinge, and 2 pieces for the adjustable mount.

Regardless, that piece def has some additional gussets and welding added to it.

i know, i sadly have installed one on my rig:cheesy:. the part with the studs slides into the piece bolted to the gate and the main carrier. the piece that it slides into is NOT part of the main carrier though, its part of the adjustable mount kit. When you buy the hinged carrier you get the hinge, and when you but the adjustable mount you get both the piece that bolts to the gate to accept the studded section, and the sliding studded piece. This is why I still refer to it as the adjustable mount, as its part of it. The system is 3 pieces, the main hinge, and 2 pieces for the adjustable mount.

Regardless, that piece def has some additional gussets and welding added to it.

Yes, I understand that. Yes, there is the main "hinge" part that bolts on to the tailgate and then there is the additional piece that bolts onto the tailgate that holds the spare. The later comes in two pieces - one that's big, bolts up to the tailgate and is gusseted up BUT, it's the secondary piece that slides into it that is thin and def NOT gussetted up. If you want, I can swing by there, take some pics and prove it.

Yes, I understand that. Yes, there is the main "hinge" part that bolts on to the tailgate and then there is the additional piece that bolts onto the tailgate that holds the spare. The later comes in two pieces - one that's big, bolts up to the tailgate and is gusseted up BUT, it's the secondary piece that slides into it that is thin and def NOT gussetted up. If you want, I can swing by there, take some pics and prove it.

i see that....nothing to prove. the gussets in the pic from ORE are not, or at least previously, were not on the part supplied from teraflex. i'm curious as to who added these and why when, as u said, they are added to the piece that as far as we know has had no failures. the piece supplied from tf has gussets that run vertically, not horizontally as seen in the pick.

Who knows, maybe they were seeing breaks there too and decided to beef it up. All the carriers I have seen come with the horizontal gussets on the main mount that attaches to the tailgate but of course, it does nothing for the weakest link which is the piece that slides into it.

here's a pic of the piece as its supplied from tf and the one from ore facebook. you can see the additional gussets i'm curious about.

View attachment 19629View attachment 19630

I see what you're talking about as far as the gussets though. But as Eddie was saying, the break ocurred on the secondary piece that the person in the pic is holding(where there are no gussets). So these new gussets will do nothing to prevent a break in the main problem area.

Who knows, maybe they were seeing breaks there too and decided to beef it up. All the carriers I have seen come with the horizontal gussets on the main mount that attaches to the tailgate but of course, it does nothing for the weakest link which is the piece that slides into it.

I need to work on my respose time... You are a quick draw good sir lol... :thumb:

Top Bottom