TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

lol...thats why i was curious as to wtf these are there for. I know they are not on mine as seen in this picture of my rig.

Photo provided by WAYALIFE.COM :cheesy:

LOL!! Imagine that. All I can think of is that they've been seeing more breaks there than on the secondary piece and have been quitely putting these new gusseted up mounts out there. :rolleyes2:

Unfortunately, it still won't fix the break that I saw which occured here...

10.jpg

LOL!! Imagine that. All I can think of is that they've been seeing more breaks there than on the secondary piece and have been quitely putting these new gusseted up mounts out there. :rolleyes2:

Unfortunately, it still won't fix the break that I saw which occured here...

View attachment 19636

They say a picture is worth a thousand words... well so are dem paint skillz.

This has been a very informative read. And now I am unsure of what to get for my spare. I was seriously considering the Teraflex hinge to be used with the stock carrier. I have 33s on 17x9s with 4.5 back spacing. I don't wheel my Jeep more than 2 to 3 times per year. In theory, the Teraflex hinge seemed like the way to go for my slight increase in tire size from my stock 32" I guess I need to expand my search.

This has been a very informative read. And now I am unsure of what to get for my spare. I was seriously considering the Teraflex hinge to be used with the stock carrier. I have 33s on 17x9s with 4.5 back spacing. I don't wheel my Jeep more than 2 to 3 times per year. In theory, the Teraflex hinge seemed like the way to go for my slight increase in tire size from my stock 32" I guess I need to expand my search.

For your tire and what you do, you only need the hinged part, not the carrier part that is having the issue (sold in two parts). You can continue to use stock carrier with the TF hinge up to 35", at least that's what I've been reading. Yes stock carriers have broken too..... but I'm sure people have broken a lot of parts that some of us may or may not ever break. All about risk management. :crazyeyes:

I run a 35" 17X9 wheel with 4.75 BS and have zero rattles and everything fits perfectly!! Love my TF tire carrier so far. I can't imagine 35's ever being a problem!!

For your purposes, I would save your money and just carry your spare on the factory tire carrier. I know plenty of people who've done this without ANY problems so long as you make sure that the sidewall is pressing firmly against the rubber isolators. I have even known people to carry a 35" spare like this for a very long time without ANY problems. As I have stated before, I have NEVER seen a factory hinge break or fail due to carrying a larger spare and spending upwards of $700 on this tire carrier would seriously be a big waste of money - at least to me anyway.

Hey guys, I bring this thread back with another issue... Rust... I'd like to hear what you think about it, normal wear? I installed the hinged carrier this winter, so it's quite recent. Both hinges are rusted all over and the paint is flaking apart. I contacted TF customer services, waiting for a response...

IMG_2798_zpsec4f267a.jpg

IMG_2797_zpsc606bb9f.jpg

IMG_2799_zps09832ff6.jpg

Good lord! Where do you live to have rust like that! You could probably remove the carrier, hit it with a wire wheel and spray some good rust preventer and a decent paint on there. I would say POR15, but that might look like crap.

Lock Down or Get Locked Up

are you running at the beach a lot? If so, the salt water - even spray - is deadly to automobile parts or ANY manufacturer. You need to remember to give your rig a good wash after wheeling on or about beach areas. I would think that you could remove the carrier, hit it with a wire brush or light sand paper and rattle can it with some GOOD spray primer and paint. Dont plastidip it as I am not sure that plastidip does not contain any real rust prevention qualities ...

that does not look normal to me. hopefully they can give you a solid answer

I hope they will give some feedback

Good lord! Where do you live to have rust like that! You could probably remove the carrier, hit it with a wire wheel and spray some good rust preventer and a decent paint on there. I would say POR15, but that might look like crap.

Lolll, Quebec, still snowed this weekend... No big deal, just getting suicidal tendencies...

Seriously, if TF does not comes with anything that's what I will do. Which would pisses me off but still, better than nothing :sigh:

Hey guys, I bring this thread back with another issue... Rust... I'd like to hear what you think about it, normal wear? I installed the hinged carrier this winter, so it's quite recent. Both hinges are rusted all over and the paint is flaking apart. I contacted TF customer services, waiting for a response...

Holy cow - normal wear?? Did your factory hinges look like this before installing this kit? Just sayin

are you running at the beach a lot? If so, the salt water - even spray - is deadly to automobile parts or ANY manufacturer. You need to remember to give your rig a good wash after wheeling on or about beach areas. I would think that you could remove the carrier, hit it with a wire brush or light sand paper and rattle can it with some GOOD spray primer and paint. Dont plastidip it as I am not sure that plastidip does not contain any real rust prevention qualities ...

No not the beach but there is a lot of salt on our road here. Every year I do a rust preventer spray under my jeep and eveywhere I see it fit. Unfortunatly I haven't the carrier at this time last year. But, in any way rust came out that badly in a short time. Beside, I rinse my jeep when I get to work so salt shouldn't be a major problem. (But still a problem anyway lol)

That's a structural break I hate how teraflex acts like they make the strongest products when most of the time they are cheap pos but at least it's not the actual hinge assembly just that cheesy piece that holds tire I might go with the hinge but not buy that pos universal tire mount

Top Bottom