TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

That's what I've been saying. I have no reason to make any of this up .......

Wait, did I miss something. :idontknow: :thinking: People were actually saying you made this up. I thought there were #182+ posts of "thank you for bringing this to our attention." :cheesy::cheesy:

Wait, did I miss something. :idontknow: :thinking: People were actually saying you made this up. I thought there were #182+ posts of "thank you for bringing this to our attention." :cheesy::cheesy:

TeraFlex is telling people that they did not make or send out a new and improved bracket to Tom. This stands contrary to what I have been saying and I'll be honest, that kind of pisses me off.

TeraFlex is telling people that they did not make or send out a new and improved bracket to Tom. This stands contrary to what I have been saying and I'll be honest, that kind of pisses me off.

I know, was just messing with you.

And yep, TF is getting exposed for telling customers two different things not realizing the customers are talking to each other. Though will also say, MANY companies do this. Doesn't make it right though.

So, I talked to my friend Tom and can tell you that TeraFlex is lying and he did in fact get a new bracket from them, complete with 2 new gussets welded inside the thin cylindrical tube and he still has the packaging to prove it. I apologize for the small pics but, it was a mistake and they are all that I was able to get today...

Here you can see them through the cutout in the side of the tube...

Now, if there's nothing wrong with this bracket, why send out this new and improved one?? :rolleyes2:

Oh, I'd also like to point out that my friend got around to re-installing the bracket and, from what I could see, the sidewall of his spare is able to make decent contact with the factory rubber isolator...

However, try as hard as he had, he could only get the passenger side to lightly touch the hinge...

Unfortunately, this still allows for A LOT of jiggling just like before and it can be easily seen when you just close the tailgate. There is simply no way to get that thing any closer or, at least not with the wheels he has.

I should also note that I was over at Off Road Evolution today and saw a couple other JK's that had this same tire mount (none that were installed by ORE and with wheels that were different from the ATX Slabs that Tom has) and much to my surprise, neither of them had spares that sat firmly against the hinge and both jiggled just like Tom's when you closed the tailgate. I guess there are other people out there without the kind of "common sense" that some of the trolls here would suggest that everyone should have. :rolleyes2:

If one of those JK's there was all silver with 37"'s on black wheels it's mine. As I ordered the ATX Slabs yesterday hopefully by the time they arrive I will gain some of that "common sense" so I can adjust it later. I didn't trust my common sense when I installed it so I followed the instructions instead:

" 6. Install the spare tire carrier and tighten the lug nuts, using caution not to pull the sidewall of the tire too tightly against the carrier. If the tire sidewall hits the carrier during lug nut tightening, remove the tire, loosen the 7/16" bolt and nylock nut, and slide the outer tube piece farther outward to create room for the tire."
"NOTE: If the spare tire appears to lean toward the from of the Jeep when installed, it is adjusted too tightly against the tire carrier and needs to be adjusted outward slightly."

BTW my isolator looks the same as the pic above and the other side brushes the carrier. Damn internal struggles vs instructions.

I know, was just messing with you.

And yep, TF is getting exposed for telling customers two different things not realizing the customers are talking to each other. Though will also say, MANY companies do this. Doesn't make it right though.

I know you were and my response wasn't really directed toward you. I'm just a little annoyed that TeraFlex is going around telling people lies about me just so that they can protect themselves.

If one of those JK's there was all silver with 37"'s on black wheels it's mine. As I ordered the ATX Slabs yesterday hopefully by the time they arrive I will gain some of that "common sense" so I can adjust it later. I didn't trust my common sense when I installed it so I followed the instructions instead:

" 6. Install the spare tire carrier and tighten the lug nuts, using caution not to pull the sidewall of the tire too tightly against the carrier. If the tire sidewall hits the carrier during lug nut tightening, remove the tire, loosen the 7/16" bolt and nylock nut, and slide the outer tube piece farther outward to create room for the tire."
"NOTE: If the spare tire appears to lean toward the from of the Jeep when installed, it is adjusted too tightly against the tire carrier and needs to be adjusted outward slightly."

BTW my isolator looks the same as the pic above and the other side brushes the carrier. Damn internal struggles vs instructions.

Now that you mention it, I do believe it was your JK and apparently, you followed the same instructions as Tom. Damn those internal struggles vs. instructions!!

Obviously, i don't think you've done ANYTHING wrong other than follow TeraFlex's instructions to a T. The fact that they are now BLAMING people like Tom and by default, you as well, that to me is what's really wrong.

BTW, Tom has ATX Slabs and if anything, your problem will be worse as you cannot suck the spare in any closer. Sorry.

Just note the stock carrier is not rated for more than 35" I believe.

Idk ive had my 35 on mine for like 2 months and my tailgate is already starting to make weird noises gonna have to tramp stamp it this weekend....lol

Yes, i do, thank you - a weld almost never breaks, the adjacent metal is typically weaker than a weld. I understand that. I just wanted to add some high res photos to the discussion about those mysterious gussets and if they come standard or not. I had ordered the carrier at Northridge4x4 but it has been directly shipped from Teraflex. This might be an indication for having one of the latest batches. But we will never know.

I don't know if the first carriers had no welds at all on the inside. My carrier has some welds in the spots where your friends new carrier has those bigger gussets. I can also scan the instructions if someone is interested. I definitely agree that the instructions are more concerned about too much pressure being applied between tire and base plate than too not having enough contact at all which I think is crucial.

I will still be happy to use this carrier but I will pay a lot of attention to the weak spots that have been discovered. I will use a 35" tire and make sure that the tire will press against the base plate. If I ran a bigger tire or if there was no way to maintain contact to the base plate I would not use this carrier.

I also want to add that I understand that here in the US we have a lot of great choices of tire carriers. I like the Or Fab or EVO carriers for instance and I would have preferred to use them. But once I will take my Jeep back to Europe they would rip my ass for having all those aftermarket tubes on my car, same with a stinger. That's all a no-go because there were too many accidents with motorcyclists or pedestrians in the past who lost a limb or their lives because of a bumper bar.

This is why I had to consider using the Teraflex carrier over a bumper carrier or a cage. I still believe that it is stronger than the factory carrier. That doesn't make me fanboy. If at all I would be a fan of Or Fab, EVO or Shrockworks.

And now I want to apologize to all of those who felt I was jumping the gun by making my very first post in this particular thread here. I didn't feel very welcome here just because I had another point of view for said reasons. I will also give all of you guys a wave in that other section here in the forum. I just want to take a photo of my Wrangler first and post it along in order to make that wave a little more authentic.

:beer:

I will still be happy to use this carrier but I will pay a lot of attention to the weak spots that have been discovered.

And really, that was the ONLY point for me starting this thread.

This is why I had to consider using the Teraflex carrier over a bumper carrier or a cage.

Because it seems to have been missed by you, NOBODY ever said that you or anybody shouldn't like, consider or even buy this tire carrier.

I still believe that it is stronger than the factory carrier. That doesn't make me fanboy.

Your "belief" in its strenght doesn't make you a fanboy - coming on to a thread like this and making your very first post on the forum to challenge me and the facts I had presented just to defend a product you have chosen to buy, does.

And now I want to apologize to all of those who felt I was jumping the gun by making my very first post in this particular thread here.

And you'll forgive me if I mistook your very first post on this forum which started off by quoting my comments regarding fanboys and them being wrong as being anything but innocent. :naw:

I didn't feel very welcome here just because I had another point of view for said reasons.

And truth be told, IF your only purpose for being here is to troll me, you wouldn't be welcome here. :beer:

While doing my research on a new product for the Wrangler Google pointed me into your direction. I was glad that I had found a first hand experience about a potential risk before I was going to buy the carrier. But your thread did not answer what I was wondering about: In order to determine upfront if the carrier works for me, my mission was to find out if I was able to avoid such a crack. Again, my choices of tire carriers are limited. A troll would have questioned you for no purpose. That said I'd prefer "devil's advocate" over "fanboy" or "troll" as I was only interested in discovering possible reasons that lead to the crack.

Judging from the photos of both the Teraflex carrier and the factory carrier that I have seen in this thread, I believe that leaving a gap between tire and tailgate can be fatal. I was told that I am arrogant and condescending if I assume that this is common sense. So why shouldn't it have been part of your initial post to remind people of what should be common sense if it was your ONLY point to warn potential users?

While doing my research on a new product for the Wrangler Google pointed me into your direction. I was glad that I had found a first hand experience about a potential risk before I was going to buy the carrier. But your thread did not answer what I was wondering about: In order to determine upfront if the carrier works for me, my mission was to find out if I was able to avoid such a crack. Again, my choices of tire carriers are limited.

Again, I couldn't care less that your choices are limited or if you even love this tire carrier. It's your money and you should spend it however you want. My only purpose for starting this thread was to show what I HAVE SEEN and to alert others to it.

A troll would have questioned you for no purpose. That said I'd prefer "devil's advocate" over "fanboy" or "troll" as I was only interested in discovering possible reasons that lead to the crack.

Again, you're the one who chose to start your very first post here by quoting me and specifically in regards to fanboys. If you were really just here to innocently discover possible reasons that lead to the crack, you could have just as easily done that without it. :naw:

Judging from the photos of both the Teraflex carrier and the factory carrier that I have seen in this thread, I believe that leaving a gap between tire and tailgate can be fatal.

I don't know what photos you're referring to but, to this day, I have NEVER seen a tailgate hinge go bad or fail due to carrying a larger spare tire INCLUDING ones that measures 37". To this day, I have never seen a JK tire carrier break as a result of jiggling caused by driving down a dirt road. Yes, I have seen factory tire carriers break and tailgates get smashed as a result of spares catching while climbing or descending a steep ledge and I have even seen the spot welds on the tailgate start to come apart as a result of jiggling BUT, I have NEVER seen a factory tire carrier break in the manner that the TeraFlex one shown here had. Judging from what I have seen, there is only one tire carrier that can be fatal if a gap between the tailgate and the tire is left. :naw:

I was told that I am arrogant and condescending if I assume that this is common sense. So why shouldn't it have been part of your initial post to remind people of what should be common sense if it was your ONLY point to warn potential users?

Apparently, I lack your sense of common sense and have no idea what common sense you feel that I should have been pointing out.

Top Bottom