Rausch Creek - 08Feb2013

Ok...serious NooB question...I expect an icey, soppy, possibly muddy (woohoo :D :D) mess...is airing down advisable? The last couple runs we had in this weather were a huge debate among everyone lol What do you guys say?

Honestly you don't have to air down or even disconnect. When you take the 101 class that they offer you don't air down for the first half of the day an you don't disconnect all day. Kyle (the instructor) doesn't air you down on purpose to show you the difference in ride quality and difference in traction.

Sent from my iPhone

I have been talking to 2 diff girls that have jeeps:brows:. if one or both don't go I will take BALLZ up on his offer. Or I can still drive my suburban up fri night.

Either way I will be there:rock::beer::beer:

Miss all you guys. maybe there will be a single lady there??? I have needed this trip for a while and with my current situation I RELLY need it now.
This is great , glad to hear it .

Single ladies at Rausch? You might have a better chance at Wal-Mart Bro!:yup:
I'll grab the smile lady at ours on the way up. You won't have to worry about her getting away that's for sure. Lol

I dont think you understand how funny this is!!!:thumb:
I don't know witch was funnier , this or the fact that no one got it.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Ok...serious NooB question...I expect an icey, soppy, possibly muddy (woohoo :D :D) mess...is airing down advisable? The last couple runs we had in this weather were a huge debate among everyone lol What do you guys say?

Try it both ways. Stay aired up for a while, and if you don't like the ride/traction, drop the pressure when we are stopped at an obstacle. There are a bunch of folks with both deflators and on board compressors that I'm sure will be happy to assist.

I would definitely air down. Last time I didn't disco...

Honestly you don't have to air down or even disconnect. When you take the 101 class that they offer you don't air down for the first half of the day an you don't disconnect all day. Kyle (the instructor) doesn't air you down on purpose to show you the difference in ride quality and difference in traction.

Sent from my iPhone

Yup, I took the class you're talking about and you're right. You only air down the second half but it's definitely a better ride with better traction aired down

Yup, I took the class you're talking about and you're right. You only air down the second half but it's definitely a better ride with better traction aired down

It's a great class I took it twice so far (once for me and once as a tail gunner for my stepdads group). About to take it a third time as a private class for the gf to finally learn how to maneuver the jeep ok the trails.

Of course airing down is better but there are some situations I'm sure where it's not needed at all. But it is a hell of a lot more comfy since the tires eat up the rocks easier

Sent from my iPhone

It's a great class I took it twice so far (once for me and once as a tail gunner for my stepdads group). About to take it a third time as a private class for the gf to finally learn how to maneuver the jeep ok the trails.

Of course airing down is better but there are some situations I'm sure where it's not needed at all. But it is a hell of a lot more comfy since the tires eat up the rocks easier

Sent from my iPhone

Yup. Lots of fun and a great way to get some confidence on the trails. Took the 101 and 201 with Kyle. Awesome instructor.

Looks like a great group of jeepers on here. Glad to be joining you all!!

Yup. Lots of fun and a great way to get some confidence on the trails. Took the 101 and 201 with Kyle. Awesome instructor.

Looks like a great group of jeepers on here. Glad to be joining you all!!

How did you like the 201? Hinrich and myself have been debating taking it for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone

How did you like the 201? Hinrich and myself have been debating taking it for a while now.

Sent from my iPhone

I liked it. He stuck mostly to greens and mixed in an easy blue here and there. It was more technique and spotting. We also touched on recovery. Good class.

Try it both ways. Stay aired up for a while, and if you don't like the ride/traction, drop the pressure when we are stopped at an obstacle. There are a bunch of folks with both deflators and on board compressors that I'm sure will be happy to assist.

Awesome!! :) :)

If I am telling you anything that you already know just speak up. The reason we air down is it allows the tires to flex more and therefore wrap themselves around rocks giving you more traction. A fully aired up tire will also bounce off of rocks and that just makes for an uncomfortable day.

The reason for disconnecting is it allows your front end to articulate more therefore keeping your tires on the ground and that means the front wheels arn't just spinning but actually making you move.

Sent from my iPhone

I wouldn't mind trying both 101 and 201 so if you decide to take either one and don't mind me tagging along let me know.

If I am telling you anything that you already know just speak up. The reason we air down is it allows the tires to flex more and therefore wrap themselves around rocks giving you more traction. A fully aired up tire will also bounce off of rocks and that just makes for an uncomfortable day.

The reason for disconnecting is it allows your front end to articulate more therefore keeping your tires on the ground and that means the front wheels arn't just spinning but actually making you move.

Got that part already :) My question was the Snow and whether or not it mattered? :question:We got several inches in our area and I would suspect it wont be too different in Rausch?

There was a huge debate on our last run (we stayed out of it) over airing down in the snow. Some guys swore it mattered, others were like no way it doesn't--it got kind of heated :D :D My dad even got involved lol (he says airdown) There are even several online debates and all give good arguments on both sides :(

Where does everyone plan on staying while they are down there? We will be wheeling sat only and gotta be on the road by 5pm. Also is there anyone else thats new other then me?

Got that part already :) My question was the Snow and whether or not it mattered? :question:We got several inches in our area and I would suspect it wont be too different in Rausch?

There was a huge debate on our last run (we stayed out of it) over airing down in the snow. Some guys swore it mattered, others were like no way it doesn't--it got kind of heated :D :D My dad even got involved lol (he says airdown) There are even several online debates and all give good arguments on both sides :(

I would say air down. If nothing else it makes the ride less abusing

I would say air down. If nothing else it makes the ride less abusing

Yeah I think you may be right...if anything its definitely better on my bum :D :D

Where does everyone plan on staying while they are down there? We will be wheeling sat only and gotta be on the road by 5pm. Also is there anyone else thats new other then me?

Nope - my husband and I are new :) We are staying at one of the places listed on this thread. I think may be on the first or second page :)

Yup def. Air down. For the majority of the trails it will make the trip much nicer and give you better traction. On the other hand there are lots of situations that it really doesn't matter but the ride is so much smoother. Snow or not it will still help with traction when airing down would be a benefit. So yes air down in snow. It can't wait do go . Major withdrawal. Yup.

Sent from my SPH-L720 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Theres always a couple new people. And most stay at the comfort in . KP listed a link to it on the first page.

I can tell you for sure that it matters. No matter what the terrain. Less air=greater footprint. Larger footprint=more traction. Some conditions the amount of traction you have is overkill, snow is not one of them.
Bottom line. Air down is the key to happiness in the snow.

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I can tell you for sure that it matters. No matter what the terrain. Less air=greater footprint. Larger footprint=more traction. Some conditions the amount of traction you have is overkill, snow is not one of them.
Bottom line. Air down is the key to happiness in the snow.

Sent from my XT907 using WAYALIFE mobile app

I agreeee!

Top Bottom