Edelbrock Supercharger Dyno

It's pretty similar to turbo charging. The RIPP kit comes with an inter cooler. I'm not sure what the Edelbrock or Magnuson kit comes with. The RIPP uses their own intake which looks similar to many CAI. I've been pretty deep in muddy water - the RIPP intake would of had me sucking up gunk. So that's something to consider.

Then again, many CAI will have you sucking up gunk. I'd want compatability some sort of smorkel - the Rugged Ridge is low key; maybe that.

How is the Ripp kit similar to turbocharging?!?! It uses a belt driven centrifugal blower (I believe vortec) mounted on the front of the engine. Other than having an air-to air intercooler it's NOTHING like a turbocharger. The magnussen and edelbrock systems use twin screw blowers and use air to water intercoolers. Still kntercooled but they replace the factory intake manifold and use a different type of intercooler. They will make more usable HP at lower RPM's than centrifugal blowers. From the looks of it, the Ripp CAI will still work with the edelbrock kit as it accommodates the factory intake.

I will never put a RIPP SC in my jeep after having one in my 08 JKUR. Had it on my Jeep for about 3500 mile took it out and sold it. What a waste of money.

But this Edelbrock SC look nice. Time will tell. The numbers are nice. Keep us updated.

Last edited:
I'm in Norcal, but completely agree with normal driving=20mph in traffic surrounded by hybrids. :mad:

I have a prius as a commuter . If I'm not in traffic I have to constantly force myself to stay under 75 because the is so nice and quiet to drive that I'm away finding myself driving over 80 mph.

From what I understand, the RIPP gives all around better performance. I haven't looked into the Magnuson enough to comment.

I enjoy driving fast and you can do it (sort of) in a Jeep. If you drive your Jeep like a Formula 1 car you will get the mileage of a Formula 1 car.

Magnums is a roots style so it's hits sooner and is more linear. If you crawl it's the better if you just want interstate at 90mph ripp is better. The 3.6 doesn't need a sc but I'm sure it's nice to have

How is the Ripp kit similar to turbocharging?!?!

It is forced induction that includes an intercooler. That is why the word "similar" was used.

We all know the differences in turbo charging and super charging so there was is no point giving a break down. Until now, apparently.

I will never put a RIPP SC in my jeep after having one in my 08 JKUR. Had it on my Jeep for about 3500 mile took it out and sold it. What a waste of money.

But this Edelbrock SC look nice. Time will tell. The numbers are nice. Keep us updated.

Not a lot of information here - why did you remove it? The 3.8 is a little different but I'd still be interested in the info.

It is forced induction that includes an intercooler. That is why the word "similar" was used.

We all know the differences in turbo charging and super charging so there was is no point giving a break down. Until now, apparently.

Apparently you don't know the difference. Because it has an intercooler?!?!? Son, Most supercharger systems have intercoolers now too. That like using the word "similar" with Heidi Klum and Queen Latifah because they both have tits.

Apparently you don't know the difference. Because it has an intercooler?!?!? Son, Most supercharger systems have intercoolers now too. That like using the word "similar" with Heidi Klum and Queen Latifah because they both have tits.

LOL!

10char

LOL, love the analogy used here. He probably meant that the Ripp turbine is an impeller driven by a belt off the crankshaft. The spool style it has is similar to a turbo in the sense that it takes a bit of RPM to get it spinning at a high enough speed to generate compressed air. From a driver's perspective, it's spool up characteristics would more closely imitate a turbo vs. a roots style SC.

I'm sure I'm not telling you anything you don't know. This is more for the unfamiliar.

I have a prius as a commuter . If I'm not in traffic I have to constantly force myself to stay under 75 because the is so nice and quiet to drive that I'm away finding myself driving over 80 mph.

You're one of the good guys then! :clap2:

I have a friend who drives an all electric and he wont go over 60, never turns on the AC, and won't let you open a window because it will cause him to lose range. :banghead:

I have a friend who drives an all electric and he wont go over 60, never turns on the AC, and won't let you open a window because it will cause him to lose range. :banghead:

Not for me! I'm in the oil and gas industry, my two vehicals combined don't get 26 mpg combined! Jeep=13mpg Raptor=12mpg! ?de1b
Gotta support the industry I work in!

That's to funny about your friend.

That's the reason why I don't have E car. I get an between 48 to 53 mpg cruising at 75 mph in the prius. I have to set my cruise control because I find myself going over 80 all the time. Not that I don't want to go over 80 because of gas (it stall gets high 40 mpg at that speed). I just don't want any tickets.

Last edited:
Not a lot of information here - why did you remove it? The 3.8 is a little different but I'd still be interested in the info.

Well the reason why I removed SC. It give the Jeep maybe 25 more horsepower if that. The bearings inside the blower, went out at a thousand miles. Dangerous as hell on the freeway when it goes into limp mode.

Last edited:
That is like using the word "similar" with supercharger and V8 because they both modify the motor.

I fixed it for you. Honestly, this thread is tiresome. No matter how many times people try to make the argument, I will never understand why supercharging a 3.8 or 3.6 is worth it. Maybe it's just a matter of personal opinion, but I can't stand the way sc's sound on the trail and trying to force more performance out of these motors just seems like squeezing a zit. Sure, you can squeeze it and make it look bigger but sooner or later it's going to pop.

I fixed it for you. Honestly, this thread is tiresome. No matter how many times people try to make the argument, I will never understand why supercharging a 3.8 or 3.6 is worth it. Maybe it's just a matter of personal opinion, but I can't stand the way sc's sound on the trail and trying to force more performance out of these motors just seems like squeezing a zit. Sure, you can squeeze it and make it look bigger but sooner or later it's going to pop.

If it's more expensive it is better. Proven fact.

Top Bottom