Edelbrock Supercharger Dyno

I don't buy it.

I recently talked to someone that claimed they got 22 mph in their Unlimited Sport with 37's and 3.21's. Well, I know better than that.

These engines do not get "good" mileage above about 60, maybe 65.

Modified or stock.

I have never been impressed with the power or mileage. Not weigh factory tires, not with 3.73's, not with 4.10's etc.

This is my 2nd 4 dr Rubicon. I've driven at high altitude and sea level.

As far as power and economy (drivability) there is a lot to be desired.

Maybe your expectations are too high for a Jeep when it comes to "performance." At the end of the day, performance is in the eye of the beholder, however, it's a Jeep, not a Vette.

Still curious what tires and gears you are running. I didn't see it in your profile.

Maybe your expectations are too high for a Jeep when it comes to "performance." At the end of the day, performance is in the eye of the beholder, however, it's a Jeep, not a Vette.

Still curious what tires and gears you are running. I didn't see it in your profile.

No, my expectations are not to high for this Jeep or the other dozen I've owned.

Most people don't really drive their Jeep. Be that off road or mandatory daily hour and a half commutes at 80 mph.

Just like most people don't either have or want to thrown $20k at an engine and then be told if they don't they are foolish because that's the only way to go. When it's not and everybody knows that.

If you are okay with always driving slowly and with struggling to keep up with a Kia, that's great. Not everyone is and they don't have to be.

King of the Hammers should be a strong indicator that being told their Jeeps performance is good enough, is silly. Even Chrysler doesn't like being out paced by a Kia - look at the concepts that Mopar brings out.

No, my expectations are not to high for this Jeep or the other dozen I've owned.

Most people don't really drive their Jeep. Be that off road or mandatory daily hour and a half commutes at 80 mph.

Just like most people don't either have or want to thrown $20k at an engine and then be told if they don't they are foolish because that's the only way to go. When it's not and everybody knows that.

If you are okay with always driving slowly and with struggling to keep up with a Kia, that's great. Not everyone is and they don't have to be.

King of the Hammers should be a strong indicator that being told their Jeeps performance is good enough, is silly. Even Chrysler doesn't like being out paced by a Kia - look at the concepts that Mopar brings out.

Easy killer! :)

Like I said, I have NO problems keeping up with traffic at 75+ on the interstate or when climbing steep grades. No struggling here. Will the Jeep shift? Sure. But you have to remember the power band of these 3.6 engines is in the higher rpm range.

I'm not completely opposed to the super charger idea, however, there are no free lunches. Just because you save $15k+ going the SC route over a V8 swap doesn't mean you won't chew into those savings at a later point in time.

When companies engineer components, let's take an airplane part for example, they build it to very specific specifications that have known failure points. When a component on an airplane is built, there are two design limits taken into consideration: Limit Load Factor and Ultimate Load Factor.

When a part exceeds its Limit Load Factor, it can and will deform, but not break. However, once the Ultimate Load Factor has been reached, it breaks.

Knowing these two values, components are engineered to achieve an ideal strength without being to heavy or large. The exact same engineering principles are applied to automotive engines.

While the 3.6 may handle the extra load, forces and temperatures associated with a super charger, it is now operating much closer to those failure limits.

As a side note, you still haven't answered my question... :)

This Jeep has 3.73's, apparently, and 33's Toto M/T's.

You don't have problems keeping up with traffic because you live in SoCal, where to your left and right is a parked Prius because in CA, driving is the term for sitting in traffic.

Last edited:
This Jeep has 3.73's, apparently and 33's.

You don't have problems keeping up with traffic because you live in SoCal, where to your left and right is a parked Prius because in CA, driving is the term for sitting in traffic.

I'm in Norcal, but completely agree with normal driving=20mph in traffic surrounded by hybrids. :mad:

I'm in Norcal, but completely agree with normal driving=20mph in traffic surrounded by hybrids. :mad:

Okay. California. Surrounded by little annoying hybrids that you want to drive over.

I have other vehicles that I drive. None of which struggle to keep pace like these JK's do.

One is some old...Chevy...small SUV thing - I'm not even sure what it's called but it will do 80 and get great economy while waiting for the JK to catch up. Which is too bad.

Well I live in NorCal NorCal :cheesy: and I'm not surrounded by Hybrids. Yes I'm not on 37's and 5.13's but my 40's and 5.38's keep up with everyone I want too. Before anyone "jumps to conclusions" I'm consistently driving 1.5hrs at 75+. Do I get 22mpg...NOPE. Do I hope to get 22mpg...NOPE. I can also say coming from a Lexus ISF to my Jeep on 40's that they are. It the same vehicle and even doing a motor swap isn't going to make it the same vehicle. You're "discussing" a shoe box on wheels...you'd be better off (using your plane analogy) trying to figure out why and how a sky van flys :cheesy:

I've calculated my mpg by hand running my 37's, with 5:13's, in a '15 JK. I'm getting a combined average of 16.

This doesn't make any sense.

How so? You seem to be worried about getting passed by the Kia, if you cant beat them join them right?

I have 4.10s, 35s, daily drive 75 mph for 30 minutes on the highway roughly (total trip is probably 45 minutes with some stop and go) and I get about 15 mpg. I don't drive a vette so Im not worried about beating anybody but it gets up to 75 pretty quick. Im really not concerned about MPG, its a damn jeep, I care about smiles per gallon.

How so? You seem to be worried about getting passed by the Kia, if you cant beat them join them right?

I have 4.10s, 35s, daily drive 75 mph for 30 minutes on the highway roughly (total trip is probably 45 minutes with some stop and go) and I get about 15 mpg. I don't drive a vette so Im not worried about beating anybody but it gets up to 75 pretty quick. Im really not concerned about MPG, its a damn jeep, I care about smiles per gallon.

Re read the context. You have mentioned the brand more than any one now.

Smiles per gallon is a great principal and impractical when you have other things to pay for. This indicates that you don't have to drive that much to get where you're going and unless you live in an area like I do, you probably won't complain because you don't drive 6 hours to get to say...training, then 6 hours back.

Additionally I stated I have other vehicles to drive - surprised you aren't focused on that.

It's funny when people try to tell other people what they should and should not accept simply because it works for them. It it weren't for a driven mentality - good enough isn't, there would be no racing. There would be no RND. There would be no improvement. There would be no evolution - yet you want Off Road Evolution products. ORE, a company that is always looking to improve.

A half hour drive from my place - you can probably make it to a gas station in that time.

Re read the context. You have mentioned the brand more than any one now.

I mentioned the brand because you mentioned it.

Smiles per gallon is a great principal and impractical when you have other things to pay for. This indicates that you don't have to drive that much to get where you're going and unless you live in an area like I do, you probably won't complain because you don't drive 6 hours to get to say...training, then 6 hours back.

I pay for everything I own, and pay for the things I want. The jeep is not practical for me. A smaller car would be practical for me. I routinely drive the 5 to 6 hours from my place to Dallas for training for work. You assumed you were the only one that drove far. I hate small cars, I don't fit well in small cars, so I'm not paying for a small car and then be unhappy until that small car is paid off.

Additionally I stated I have other vehicles to drive - surprised you aren't focused on that.

I'm glad you have other vehicles to drive, as do I. I thought we were focused on the jeeps.

It's funny when people try to tell other people what they should and should not accept simply because it works for them. It it weren't for a driven mentality - good enough isn't, there would be no racing. There would be no RND. There would be no improvement. There would be no evolution - yet you want Off Road Evolution products. ORE, a company that is always looking to improve.

In the end you have to make the decision on what to do. Me, I know what I want to install on my jeep and what to expect out of it.

A half hour drive from my place - you can probably make it to a gas station in that time.

Yeah I can get to a gas station within 30 minutes. Several in fact. The closest one is about 5 minutes away. Your decision on geographical location is not my problem, you chose to live there.

I mentioned the brand because you mentioned it.

I pay for everything I own, and pay for the things I want. The jeep is not practical for me. A smaller car would be practical for me. I routinely drive the 5 to 6 hours from my place to Dallas for training for work. You assumed you were the only one that drove far. I hate small cars, I don't fit well in small cars, so I'm not paying for a small car and then be unhappy until that small car is paid off.

I'm glad you have other vehicles to drive, as do I. I thought we were focused on the jeeps.

In the end you have to make the decision on what to do. Me, I know what I want to install on my jeep and what to expect out of it.

Yeah I can get to a gas station within 30 minutes. Several in fact. The closest one is about 5 minutes away. Your decision on geographical location is not my problem, you chose to live there.

This doesn't make sense and you are, I would have to assume, choosing to ignore the points made.

The RIPP supercharger looks good.

I have the 3.6 - and sometimes it works. When it does, it doesn't have enough power and the economy is terrible.

The speed limit here is 75 mph. Higher is some areas. Driving under 75 is dangerous and will cause an accident. The 3.6 is always shifting into 3rd from 5th just to try to keep up with the driving lane. Forget about the passing lane. Those kind of speeds in 3rd gear get you 12 mpg, or less.

You want/need to go faster than 75.

I don't buy it.

I recently talked to someone that claimed they got 22 mph in their Unlimited Sport with 37's and 3.21's. Well, I know better than that.

These engines do not get "good" mileage above about 60, maybe 65.

Modified or stock.

I have never been impressed with the power or mileage. Not weigh factory tires, not with 3.73's, not with 4.10's etc.

This is my 2nd 4 dr Rubicon. I've driven at high altitude and sea level.

As far as power and economy (drivability) there is a lot to be desired.

You weren't impressed with the first JK so you bought a 2nd one.

From what I understand, the RIPP gives all around better performance. I haven't looked into the Magnuson enough to comment.

I enjoy driving fast and you can do it (sort of) in a Jeep. If you drive your Jeep like a Formula 1 car you will get the mileage of a Formula 1 car.

You want to go fast.

You have low expectations for the Jeep brand and keep purchasing them to continue to be disappointed. Also here is where you are worried about the Kia.

This Jeep has 3.73's, apparently, and 33's Toto M/T's.

You think you have 3.73s. Maybe you should get 5.13s and continue to run the 33s. You would go fast. For a bit. Then you would be at red line, but your tranny wouldnt be hunting gears anymore. Let me know the gas mileage you get now that your going fast.

Okay. California. Surrounded by little annoying hybrids that you want to drive over.

I have other vehicles that I drive. None of which struggle to keep pace like these JK's do.

One is some old...Chevy...small SUV thing - I'm not even sure what it's called but it will do 80 and get great economy while waiting for the JK to catch up. Which is too bad.

Again, disappointment in the JK because another vehicle out performs it according to you.

Last edited:
You want/need to go faster than 75.

You weren't impressed with the first JK so you bought a 2nd one.

You want to go fast.

You have low expectations for the Jeep brand and keep purchasing them to continue to be disappointed. Also here is where you are worried about the Kia.

You think you have 3.73s. Maybe you should get 5.13s and continue to run the 33s. You would go fast. For a bit. Then you would be at red line, but your tranny wouldnt be hunting gears anymore. Let me know the gas mileage you get now that your going fast.

Again, disappointment in the JK because another vehicle out performs it according to you.

You are choosing to misinterpret information.

More importantly, if you believe that Jeeps should be lumbering burdens why are you commenting in a super charger thread, other than to tell people that you don't want one therefore other people don't need one?

You are choosing to misinterpret information.

More importantly, if you believe that Jeeps should be lumbering burdens why are you commenting in a super charger thread, other than to tell people that you don't want one therefore other people don't need one?

Really? Where do I tell people not to buy it?

Idk, think I'd just get a programmer for $300 roughly and get almost the same bump in horsepower as the $5500 supercharger.

But that's just me.

None. I said 30 horsepower. Not rear wheel horsepower.

I wasn't comparing the programmer to the supercharger. I said I would rather buy a programmer and save a shit ton of money compared to the super charger. I feel like even the programmers are a waste of money, thats why I just have the flashcal.

I said I wouldn't be buying it.

I do think the JKs are heavy. That's why I'm building an LQ4 6.0 as we speak so that when the 3.6 decides to bite the bullet I will have a motor ready to go in it's place. I should have it built by then, along with the kit to install it, a transmission if I decide not to use the factory one which apparently is the same trans that's behind the hemis and can be built up for some decent power. It can be adapted to the 6.0. I might however get a 4L80e or spend more coin and get a 6L80e. Should also have the jeep paid off and will be able to get axles and suspension at that time.

If your so disappointed in the jeep why have you purchased several?

Top Bottom