WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Great job Doug. Be curious to see how it does on washboard type of roads but design seems solid so I'm hopeful for you. A tire carrier is not the easiest thing to design; lots of companies and engineers screw it up. Yours turned out great though. Well done. [emoji106][emoji106]

Patent is in order [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Yeah, totally go out and get one and learn. It's a great skill to have. I learned from someone that had been welding for years, but I still want to take some classes just so I learn some foundation knowledge about it. I actually hope to do that in the next couple of years. A lot of skills/trades are slowly going away in this culture, I wanted to learn all I can and pass it down to the kiddos.

So true to the above. It's takes a lot of time to fab up your own components, but it's a labor of love. I like the contoured shape so far. Congrats

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Just got caught up with your thread -really nice job on the carrier! Did you have to build in any preload on the arm to compensate for sag?

Just got caught up with your thread -really nice job on the carrier! Did you have to build in any preload on the arm to compensate for sag?

Thanks. I set the hinge bearings really tight. On the latch side of the swing arm, that little square tube I welded underneath provides perfect spacing for no sag. Underneath the latch end (under the bumper) is a 1/4" steel plate. All the sagging weight rests on that. I hope it will be OK , I think it will.

Thanks. I set the hinge bearings really tight. On the latch side of the swing arm, that little square tube I welded underneath provides perfect spacing for no sag. Underneath the latch end (under the bumper) is a 1/4" steel plate. All the sagging weight rests on that. I hope it will be OK , I think it will.
It came out awesome. Super clean. We did the same on mine with the bearing and I added a ramp and safety latch on the d/s as well as a compression latch like you used to have (i like the pin idea also). My lower bumper is all 1/4 plate that the hub and spindle mount too. I can flex the bumper just a smidge if I pry up really hard but I have been running like that with a 35 almost a year. So far so good so I dont think you will have issues. Love those lights! I ran a set very similiar that I found on Amazon.

Alright Alright Alright

It came out awesome. Super clean. We did the same on mine with the bearing and I added a ramp and safety latch on the d/s as well as a compression latch like you used to have (i like the pin idea also). My lower bumper is all 1/4 plate that the hub and spindle mount too. I can flex the bumper just a smidge if I pry up really hard but I have been running like that with a 35 almost a year. So far so good so I dont think you will have issues. Love those lights! I ran a set very similiar that I found on Amazon.

Alright Alright Alright

Thanks. Seems like it will be solid. Those lights are about 2 years old and have been working great. Only downside to the pin that I realize this morning....It's a really tight fit, and it was cold this morning, it was really hard to remove. I imagine with snow and ice around it, it will be even worse. Not sure what I'm going to do yet. I don't want to wallow out the hole to much and cause a rattle either.

Maybe a rapid release pin would work? Keep it as tight as it is, the ball bearing would allow it to pull out easier, but would keep it locked in until you pushed in the release button-- IMG_0803.JPG

Not a bad idea. I may look into that. Thanks.
You brought up a point earlier about being cold. Those rapid release pins are awesome until they are frozen and your using a torch to thaw them. I know you live in snow country so keep that i mind.

Alright Alright Alright

Update on tire carrier. The whole reason I rebuilt this thing was because the old one hit while dropping off ledges. So we tested it last weekend and if worked great. I had someone watch it when I came off of a ledge and nothing on the back hit. So I'm happy to be done with it. Here's a picture below of the ledge, you can see that my rear diff hit it, but nothing else did. Next I'm going to work on building something on it for my hilift.

IMG954493.jpg

Update on tire carrier. The whole reason I rebuilt this thing was because the old one hit while dropping off ledges. So we tested it last weekend and if worked great. I had someone watch it when I came off of a ledge and nothing on the back hit. So I'm happy to be done with it. Here's a picture below of the ledge, you can see that my rear diff hit it, but nothing else did. Next I'm going to work on building something on it for my hilift.

View attachment 281749

That’s what I call a result
Glad that it worked out bud can’t wait to see what you come up with for the hi lift

Awesome job on the carrier! Glad it worked out for you.

Now I'm just gonna sit back and wait for the "best place for the Hi-Lift is in the garbage can" comments to start rolling in. 😂😂

Sent from my SM-N950U using WAYALIFE mobile app

View attachment 281749

Project well done [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Top Bottom