WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Those are great pictures though I was looking a national geographic for a second thanks for sharing!!

I've been chasing down a really harsh 3/2 downshift that only occurs in the mountains. No codes and I really don't have any way to diagnose this thing without dealer equipment regarding pressures, etc. I've replaced every external sensor. So with parts prices online being cheaper nowadays, I decided to gamble on replacing the valve body. The older solenoids (which I had) had known problems anyways so I got an updated one. Well, I did the valve body yesterday afternoon and the issue is still there. The old valve body did have a broken spring in it, so that makes me feel better (not sure what symptom that it was causing). And the new valve body has much better shifting response and pulls better in the mountains. But the harsh downshift is still fricken there.

DSC04066.JPG

DSC04067.JPG

Then on the way home from the test drive, I started getting a steering shimmy. My new Mopar drag link end has gone out. Only 500 miles on it. :banghead: I think my steering angles are too steep. I may address that now or wait until I get the new axle.

Another mountain trip and got to see some baby sheep. First time here in Colorado I've ever seen babies.

copy1.jpg

copy2.jpg

copy.jpg

You selling your rock sliders? Just saw this on CL

Lol no. When I installed them, I sent the builder a thank you along with the pics installed. He had custom cut them shorter than normal for me as I had already trimmed a lot of the body on the Jeep and didn't want them to stick out. Anyways, he replied and asked if he could use the pics in his ad. I told him that that was fine. That's an old picture. Crazy how different the Jeep looks now from then.

DSC03687.JPG

While turning for the last week, I've been having this weird feeling like the axle is shifting. I've been under there 3 times now checking things and can't find anything wrong. Until today, I think I found the problem. One of my upper axle bushings came out of the housing. A tap with a hammer confirmed this as it went back in. These things were installed less than 2000 miles ago by a shop. And this is the 2nd bushing that has done this since I had it in there (the other one was in the rear). I don't really feel like going back to this shop after this happened and plus I'm planning an axle swap soon, so in the meantime I tack welded the bushing in place in about six spots. This is what I did with the other one and it has held for about a month now. Really pisses me off, because welding on to cast iron and right at a rubber bushing is not a good idea, but I'm just hoping it will hold me over until I get the new axle. A test drive confirmed the welds stayed in place and it feels better around turns too. Sure glad this didn't happen on the trail.

0916161918.jpg

0916161919.jpg

0916161959.jpg

While turning for the last week, I've been having this weird feeling like the axle is shifting. I've been under there 3 times now checking things and can't find anything wrong. Until today, I think I found the problem. One of my upper axle bushings came out of the housing. A tap with a hammer confirmed this as it went back in. These things were installed less than 2000 miles ago by a shop. And this is the 2nd bushing that has done this since I had it in there (the other one was in the rear). I don't really feel like going back to this shop after this happened and plus I'm planning an axle swap soon, so in the meantime I tack welded the bushing in place in about six spots. This is what I did with the other one and it has held for about a month now. Really pisses me off, because welding on to cast iron and right at a rubber bushing is not a good idea, but I'm just hoping it will hold me over until I get the new axle. A test drive confirmed the welds stayed in place and it feels better around turns too. Sure glad this didn't happen on the trail.

View attachment 222960

View attachment 222959

View attachment 222958

Glad you were able to fix it! When are you planning your axle swap?

Got some high country travel time with Boardsurfer. Great time. Beautiful time of year up there.

DSC04087c.jpg

DSC04069c.jpg

DSC04083.jpg

DSC04082.jpg

DSC04077.jpg

DSC04075.jpg

DSC04071.jpg

Top Bottom