WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

I adjusted mine in my driveway, and mine works perfect...open fields that you can readily drive into aren't the easiest to find in NJ.

Rigs looking good. I spotted you in longmont at around 11 sadly I wasn't in my Jeep so I could wave.

Not too bad. I've thought about doing something with doors but haven't found a solution that I'm happy with.

The front edge of the door with mirror was good...but the rear edge near the latch needed some finish work...otherwise, a good idea.

The front edge of the door with mirror was good...but the rear edge near the latch needed some finish work...otherwise, a good idea.

I've seen a couple of custom jobs done. There's also a company that makes tube doors. As much as I love the open-air feeling, I don't see myself doing anything with the doors.

Did some high country travel today. Tons of wildlife out. Even talked to another Jeeper who saw a bear with two cubs earlier in the day. We got to see a lot of Elk, two of whom were fighting. Got to see a couple of marmots and even a Weasel. Mr. Weasel bolted when he saw my camera so the pic is blurry. Beautiful day up there.

DSC04040.jpg

DSC04022.jpg

DSC04023.jpg

DSC04013.JPG

DSC04016.JPG

DSC04014.JPG

DSC04036.JPG

DSC04032.JPG

DSC04034.JPG

DSC04052.JPG

DSC04042.JPG

Hey WJCO, do you come across any Pica? Those little critters are fascinating the way they gather and store their food.

Did some high country travel today. Tons of wildlife out. Even talked to another Jeeper who saw a bear with two cubs earlier in the day. We got to see a lot of Elk, two of whom were fighting. Got to see a couple of marmots and even a Weasel. Mr. Weasel bolted when he saw my camera so the pic is blurry. Beautiful day up there.

View attachment 221002

View attachment 220997

View attachment 220998

View attachment 220994

View attachment 220996

View attachment 220995

View attachment 221001

View attachment 220999

View attachment 221000

View attachment 221004

View attachment 221003

Man...that's a beautiful place...

Hey WJCO, do you come across any Pica? Those little critters are fascinating the way they gather and store their food.

Yep. Usually only see them if they're moving. Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago. I wasn't aware of their food techniques. What do they do?

DSC03954.JPG

Man...that's a beautiful place...

It really is. We try to get up there at least once a week just to get away from it all.

Yep. Usually only see them if they're moving. Here's a pic from a couple weeks ago. I wasn't aware of their food techniques. What do they do?

View attachment 221010

Well, they don't hibernate during the winter so they must gather fairly large stores of food. Their food consists of various greens and flowers. Some of the greens they gather are poisonous until it has sat in storage for a while. The poison actually preserves it through the winter. They gather different plants with different amounts of poisons and arrange all of their gatherings very carefully so they can eat it at different times throughout the winter as the poison degrades. The way they stack the greens they collect is fascinating. They are VERY OCD like.

Last edited by a moderator:
Well, they don't hibernate during the winter so they must gather fairly large stores of food. Their food consists of various greens and flowers. Some of the greens they gather are poisonous until it has sat in storage for a while. The poison actually preserves it through the winter. They gather different plants with different amounts of poisons and arrange all of their gatherings very carefully so they can eat it at different times throughout the winter as the poison degrades. The way they stack the greens they collect is fascinating. They are VERY OCD like.

That's cool. I'll have to look into that. Crazy how a lot of animals survive up there. Harsh conditions.

Top Bottom