WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

Nice job juggling engine replacement, holding down employment, and moving household to new house in a relative short period of time. Take a break.:thumb:

Wow, that's crazy... and to think you were looking right at it when you had the heads off. The Mystery is solved. Crack Kills.

Yep. I've looked it over thoroughly at least 3 times before I saw this.

That's a tough one.

Glad you found it so you can sleep better knowing that you have found the problem.

It doesn't look like much, but I'm sure when it heats up the crack opens up.

Great to see your WJ back together and under its own power. It is a really sharp looking rig, and we need more pictures of it in it's native habitat.

Yes. Very happy to have found it. I think the old head gasket partially was embedded in the crack, making the symptom only show up under certain circumstances. Then when the shop put the new head gasket on, that area was disturbed. After the head gaskets were replaced, the cooling system pressurized and vented before the engine even got to 100 degrees.

Wow, that was quicker than I thought! Nice work finding the crack and getting the WJ back up and running 👍👍

I’m really happy for you that you found the crack and your sweet rig is back together! [emoji1303]

Nice detective work! :thumb:

That’s awesome that you solved that year long rectal pain[emoji23][emoji23][emoji898][emoji898]
Can’t wait to hear road test update [emoji106][emoji106][emoji106]
Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Me too. Thanks.

Glad you found the crack. Now take that thing to the metal recycler and make them crush the fucking thing in front of you!🤣😂

Sent from my Moto Z (2) using WAYALIFE mobile app

I thought about doing something like that. Not sure exactly what I'm going to do with this hunk of metal.

Nice job juggling engine replacement, holding down employment, and moving household to new house in a relative short period of time. Take a break.:thumb:

That’s what I’m thinking. He probably needs to sleep for a week, lol.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

No kidding. It's been crazy around here.

Looks like a legit warranty claim to me. “I was just driving along when all of a sudden ....”. [emoji23]

Could use it as the base for a glass top table near the hot tub......but that view may not add to your relaxation...

We seriously thought about a glass table stand. We'll see, lol.

Looks like a legit warranty claim to me. “I was just driving along when all of a sudden ....”. [emoji23]

Exactly! lol

Lol.

JB Weld...hehe

I actually was thinking of what would be the best way to fix it myself, lol. Not that I actually would but I did look into lots of machine shop repairs and how they're done.

Oh that’s a douche of a crack.

Glad to see that you got it up and running and that you found that stinker!

Really great work, Doug. Time to close that chapter. :beer:

Back in business! [emoji1303]

Indeed. Glad to have it fixed.

Update (Long Story Ahead): Since the engine install, it's kind of been a rollercoaster. If any of you recall at the beginning of the summer, I replaced the last item (other than the engine) in the cooling system that I hadn't fixed yet, the radiator. It was right after that, that the overheating got worse. Instead of just occurring at idle, it would also overheat on the highway and up the mountains. This is when I took it in and had two shops confirm it was an internal problem. So the 2nd shop does the head gaskets and checked the heads (which didn't fix it because of the block crack unknown at that time).

During the course of repair, they found that this brand new radiator had a transmission cooler fitting stripped inside and told me they didn't feel comfortable putting it back in. Luckily it was under warranty and the company I got it from sent a new radiator quickly. So the shop installed it and put everything back together. Of course when they got it back together, it was overheating because of the block crack and it was so bad, I couldn't even drive it one mile without coolant puking everywhere and the gauge hitting 250F. The upper hose actually would pressurize when cold, it was that bad. So I replaced the motor.

So I got to really do my first test drive a couple of days ago. It had idled for almost an hour perfectly with great temps. Coolant was bled, no leaks. As soon as I get it on the highway, temps starts climbing again. It was doing the same fucking thing that happened after I replaced the radiator. I bled it 2 more times with no luck. So today, I swapped in my very original radiator, I had saved it just in case. Everything is fucking perfect! I only had to bleed it once and got it out on the highway with no issues.

This makes absolutely no sense to me. Two bad radiators in a row? Producing the exact same symptoms? I really don't get it. Anybody else have any thoughts on this? By the way, I closely examined the old one and new one today and they are identical in shape and size. Oh, and I didn't put stop leak in until the first shop told me it was an internal problem. And the 2nd shop flushed it all out before reassembly. So it's not that.

So it was the Radiator the whole time? Not the engine?

Holy hell, that would totally suck if it was just the radiator the whole time.

Charlie Brown said it best “Aaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaagh!!!”

JFC

What the hell.

I would shit a chicken if it was the radiator all this time.

Lol. No it wasn't the radiator the whole time. The block was cracked for sure. I've seen it with my own eyes along with it puking coolant after they did the head gaskets which didn't fix the internal leak. The tech even did 2 different types of hydrocarbon tests after he did the gaskets and it failed. But it was changing the radiator that made the cooling system issue worse than what it originally was which made me take it in to the shop. But for whatever reason, this particular radiator is either a piece of shit or not exactly built for my vehicle.

One thing that does piss me off is that if I had NOT changed the radiator, I could have probably used my Jeep this summer and just dealt with having no AC. It was tolerable but I wanted to get it fixed right. At least now I know.

Lol. No it wasn't the radiator the whole time. The block was cracked for sure. I've seen it with my own eyes along with it puking coolant after they did the head gaskets which didn't fix the internal leak. The tech even did 2 different types of hydrocarbon tests after he did the gaskets and it failed. But it was changing the radiator that made the cooling system issue worse than what it originally was which made me take it in to the shop. But for whatever reason, this particular radiator is either a piece of shit or not exactly built for my vehicle.

One thing that does piss me off is that if I had NOT changed the radiator, I could have probably used my Jeep this summer and just dealt with having no AC. It was tolerable but I wanted to get it fixed right. At least now I know.

Well, at least you got the cracked block fixed. That's something that needed to happen sooner than later.

Top Bottom