WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

I’m surprised that you weren’t getting coolant in a cylinder when the engine cooled, causing a mis-fire on cold start.

I’m surprised that you weren’t getting coolant in a cylinder when the engine cooled, causing a mis-fire on cold start.

This can happen and I've experienced it on customer's vehicles when I used to work on cars, but in my case it never idled rough. Sometimes the crack is small enough that it closes just enough as the engine cools and coolant never enters the cylinder.

If you swap a new one in, you’ll at least have spare parts 🤣

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I'll likely have the shop do the repairs and send back the old engine so I don't pay for a core charge.

Well at least now you found the issue. Would have sucked if they said they couldn't figure out what the problem was.

As much as I hated the news, I'm relieved to know and move forward.

That's crazy.... notnalc68 just "blew a head gasket" yesterday.

Lol. Yes.

"We will be fixing it and keeping it regardless."

Yes, keep it if you can. Has become an extension of you. Lots of personal touches. Need to see it around for a long time. Here's hoping they treat you reasonably.

Exactly. We knew buying both our jeeps that they were higher in mileage and that these things can happen. Hopefully this will be the last large expense and we can keep enjoying the Jeep.

I hope they will treat you right and get it fixed. I love your WJ and I hope it sticks around. I wish you luck [emoji482]

It will. Thanks.

Total Bummer if it’s cracked... Head Gasket would be so much cheaper. Fingers crossed.

If the estimate is reasonable enough to tear it down or replace the head, I may just go with that. We shall see.

I know too well what some would consider bad news actually ends up being a relief. I’m glad for you that there will be an answer in the near future.

I think I’d spring for a new engine.

Sorry you have had so many issues buy glad it is found. Cant wait to see what you do with this GC. Definite inspiration for mine.

Time for an LS swap

Ah fuckkkkk!! Wish this was a simple, non expensive fix!! 🤞hope it still is!!

Someone had to say it! :thumb:

I was going to say the same thing. Not sure how the LS compares to the V8 in the GC though.

I know too well what some would consider bad news actually ends up being a relief. I’m glad for you that there will be an answer in the near future.

I think it’s time for a Hemi.

New engine estimate came out significantly higher than I thought. So I'll likely have them tear into it. Vehicle still drives around town, so I'm going to pick it up and think about it for a few days. As far as swapping a HEMI or LS, the V8 it already has has been plenty powerful enough for what I need and I'll likely stay with that. Just have to figure out the most reasonable way to repair it.

Aluminium heads. Iron block.

Along with my fear of a block issue, these engines do occasionally have piston skirts crack, timing chains stretch, and issues with the valve seats. So I'm kind of thinking it may not be a bad idea to gamble a little and just get a new engine.

I can envision a Hellcat install...

You have the time to do a junkyard swap? A lot are coming with 1 year warranties now.

I don't have the time. I did find some remans from reputable companies for a much better price. So I have options. I did something that I never thought I would do today. I bypassed the heater core again and ran some stop leak through the system. I used a brand called fiberlock. I really have nothing to lose. If it for some reason plugs the radiator, I have a good one here at the house. If it doesn't work, I will likely just have the dealer do the teardown and hope for the best. I'll know in a day or two if the fiberlock works.

I don't have the time. I did find some remans from reputable companies for a much better price. So I have options. I did something that I never thought I would do today. I bypassed the heater core again and ran some stop leak through the system. I used a brand called fiberlock. I really have nothing to lose. If it for some reason plugs the radiator, I have a good one here at the house. If it doesn't work, I will likely just have the dealer do the teardown and hope for the best. I'll know in a day or two if the fiberlock works.

I've used blue devil in the past with good results.

Why not pull the heads and check them out? More likely to be a cracked head than a cracked block. No?

Why not pull the heads and check them out? More likely to be a cracked head than a cracked block. No?

Almost always the head being cracked is more likely than the block. What scares me is that this issue started after a trail with a lot of water crossings. However, if the stop leak doesn't work, I think that's what we'll do.

Top Bottom