Wines of the Week

Yes, kept at 55 degrees F in our wine storage unit...many years ago, I put 1200 bottles on an excel spreadsheet denoting country, region, varietal, score (according to Wine Spectator) and drink/hold notes...it was a crap load of data entry.

I've been told since by several wine drinking friends that there are apps that do this...as well as scan function for bottles with codes. I will be looking into this as we transfer some of our wine to WA...and we plan to drink the other 400 bottles within the next 2.5 years here in Hawaii. Unfortunately, most of our older wines do not have barcodes to scan, but we don't intend to move them, just drink them. We are no longer collecting wines like we used too; our kids aren't interested in them, and we cant take them with us to the grave...and I'm more interested in fishing destinations now than wine destinations for travel...

There are a number of apps, trainwreck posted one, that do some of the analysis built in. Many of the wines I get aren't sold retail so wouldn't have a code.

I currently keep mine at storage temp and not cellar temp as I generally only age a year or two from release. Though I do have a few bottles hitting the 10 yr mark, but have no idea if I've fucked them up in storage. Lol.

I personally think that people put too much effort into storage. Really the refinement of special refrigerators and storage devices are fairly new to the market when you consider how long wine has been around. It’s hard to screw up a good bottle. Lay it on its side in a cool dark place and forget about it. If it was any good from the beginning, It will be great after 10 or so years. Of course I’m referring to my favs being Borolo’s and Barbaresco’s. Most get stored in our unfinished basement where it’s 60’s year round.

I personally think that people put too much effort into storage. Really the refinement of special refrigerators and storage devices are fairly new to the market when you consider how long wine has been around. It’s hard to screw up a good bottle. Lay it on its side in a cool dark place and forget about it. If it was any good from the beginning, It will be great after 10 or so years. Of course I’m referring to my favs being Borolo’s and Barbaresco’s. Most get stored in our unfinished basement where it’s 60’s year round.

My garage in Hawaii is mid 80's all year long...and nobody has a basement...and I have some bottles going on 30 years...

But to your point...I have friends in Europe that have actual earthen cellars underneath their homes and store wine like they did hundreds of years ago...it's always mid 50's all year round...

Wine is meant to be enjoyed, preferably with good friends. Any “storage” I do is at 55 degrees because that is the temperature I like to drink my reds at.

The most aged wine I’ve had was probably at a friend’s wedding whose dad owned a vineyard and produced his own. He stored cases from the years of his daughter’s births and saved them for their weddings. Spectacular wine and it was a cool thing he did, but I enjoyed all the bottles we’ve shared more recently as well.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
I don't disagree with any of the storage responses. Drink what you like, when, where, and with whom.

I am, however, looking to expand the wines I drink from regions/countries, varietals, and vintages. Some of that may include bottles that need a bit of storage. I'm hoping to expand my fridge space soon as I don't have the space for a proper cellar. Plan to have a whites, reds, and misc thing going.

Learning what others do or might recommend is good to hear. I keep my reds at about 65-68 and my whites closer to 50-52. "Cellar" for reds would be lower than where I keep mine. Nor do I currently keep track of what I have and when might be best to drink.

The world of wine is a fascinating one to me. Not totally unlike the Jeep world, the more money you put in, the more you get to play. Lol.

Thanks for all the feedback. Glad to see I'm not the only one into wines. [emoji485][emoji485]

My garage in Hawaii is mid 80's all year long...and nobody has a basement...and I have some bottles going on 30 years...

Point taken. I guess it’s a regional perk to have a basement. I often forget that not everyone has one.

My small collection is a bit younger dating back to the late 90’s at this point (20 years).

And I'm a huge fan of Barolo's & Barbaresco's...about 100 bottles worth...

Wow, my entire collection is maybe 100 bottles with maybe half being different varieties of Italian Reds.

But to your point...I have friends in Europe that have actual earthen cellars underneath their homes and store wine like they did hundreds of years ago...it's always mid 50's all year round...

Years ago, I spent some time in Turino for work. During the off time, a college that was local to the area turned me on to the regions famous Borolo Wines. He had a huge collection and stored then in a hand dug earthen cellar as you mentioned. Back in the day I bought a case of Conterno for 20 Euro / bottle. Those were the days!

The most aged wine I’ve had was probably at a friend’s wedding whose dad owned a vineyard and produced his own. He stored cases from the years of his daughter’s births and saved them for their weddings. Spectacular wine and it was a cool thing he did, but I enjoyed all the bottles we’ve shared more recently as well.

That is a really cool idea! Only problem with that is that my daughter was born 2002 which was a shit year for Italian wine.

That is a really cool idea! Only problem with that is that my daughter was born 2002 which was a shit year for Italian wine.

For you Italian wine lovers...a classic Tuscan wine where Sangiovese is king...a Brunello from Frescobaldi. It took a full thirty minutes to open up, but was well worth the wait...brunello.jpg

From dropping C notes for Italian wines to dropping dimes at my local Walmart, we've fully explored the amazing world of wine today. [emoji16]

This (Walmart exclusive) Malbec was literally named one of the best wines in the world.

You know it's true if:

Fox News: https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...s-6-red-wine-named-one-best-in-world.amp.html

Fortune: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/11/15/walmart-award-winning-wine

Food & Wine: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.food...es-home-top-honors-decanter-world-wine-awards

and many others report on this platinum, 95 pointer from decanter. [emoji6][emoji33]

My thoughts... it wasn't even the best Malbec I've had. But at $6 bucks, its a good find, drinkable, and most simpleton wine drinkers would appreciate its value. Let it open up for 15-20 minutes.

IMG_3954.jpg

IMG_3955.jpg

From dropping C notes for Italian wines to dropping dimes at my local Walmart, we've fully explored the amazing world of wine today. [emoji16]

This (Walmart exclusive) Malbec was literally named one of the best wines in the world.

You know it's true if:

Fox News: https://www.google.com/amp/www.foxn...s-6-red-wine-named-one-best-in-world.amp.html

Fortune: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.timeinc.net/fortune/2016/11/15/walmart-award-winning-wine

Food & Wine: https://www.google.com/amp/amp.food...es-home-top-honors-decanter-world-wine-awards

and many others report on this platinum, 95 pointer from decanter. [emoji6][emoji33]

My thoughts... it wasn't even the best Malbec I've had. But at $6 bucks, its a good find, drinkable, and most simpleton wine drinkers would appreciate its value. Let it open up for 15-20 minutes.

View attachment 286558

View attachment 286560

For 6 bucks...if it's drinkable, rejoice...

You know it's true if:

That’s not exactly what the Fox article said. ;)

And I’ve actually had this wine...after antelope hunting in the middle of the desert, where the only place to buy supplies was a Walmart a few hours away. I remember thinking it was not bad for price.

That’s not exactly what the Fox article said. ;)

And I’ve actually had this wine...after antelope hunting in the middle of the desert, where the only place to buy supplies was a Walmart a few hours away. I remember thinking it was not bad for price.

Lol.

The price is the equalizer for sure.

Top Bottom