Wines of the Week

Tom and I visited Via Vega winery in Paso Robles this past weekend. Wines were good and the winemaker was very knowledgeable on wines and history of the area. Well worth a visit. Thanks for the recommendation, Jason.

I try not to steer people wrong. Glad you felt it worth while. I think I have that same varietal and vintage in my fridge as well. [emoji485] It's a bit off the path, but then for me, that's the most fun part of Paso after all these years. [emoji16]

Ok, so don't laugh too hard at this one. Small mountain winery located in Benezette, Pa which is home to an Elk herd and a shitload of tourists in the Fall.
I am the furthest from a snob of any kind, but this wine is vintage last Tuesday! Probably would taste great in one of those WJCO wine glasses!
The cider was pretty awesome though. Wife loves her sweet wines so what can I say...;)

Rattlesnake Red. Yeehaw!

BZ1.jpg

BZ2.jpg

Upstate NY is home to some of America's oldest vineyards...so why not make wine in PA?...

I have a friend from college that grows grapes in the finger lakes. Beautiful area to visit. Not to live lol

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

This stuff is just too grape-juicy sweet for me. Wife loves it and its a great day trip so we load up every 6 weeks or so. NW PA (Erie) is home to a ton on vineyards. Welches is a huge grower in that area as well as the Finger Lakes region in NY. Watkins Glen is also a great place to visit & take in a race.

This stuff is just too grape-juicy sweet for me. Wife loves it and its a great day trip so we load up every 6 weeks or so. NW PA (Erie) is home to a ton on vineyards. Welches is a huge grower in that area as well as the Finger Lakes region in NY. Watkins Glen is also a great place to visit & take in a race.

Sounds like a good starter for a sangria. Then the mason jar glasses are in order. [emoji106]

Sounds like a good starter for a sangria. Then the mason jar glasses are in order. [emoji106]

I remember when I was a kid we would visit my grandma in MA...she had a bunch of Concord grapes growing in the back. Grandpa would make "wine" from it, grandma would make jam...me & my sister would have epic grape fights which resulted in throwing away our shirts due to serious purple stains. My grandpa would let me sneak sips of his wine, which I remember as being sweet...

Which happens to be the wifes' favorite! Good idea.

I remember when I was a kid we would visit my grandma in MA...she had a bunch of Concord grapes growing in the back. Grandpa would make "wine" from it, grandma would make jam...me & my sister would have epic grape fights which resulted in throwing away our shirts due to serious purple stains. My grandpa would let me sneak sips of his wine, which I remember as being sweet...

Ha, we did the same thing using mulberries. With slingshots.

Finishing up some chard whilst working...on a Sunday...while on vacation...after some conference calls. Think it’s La Crema—Sonoma coast.

IMG_4152.JPG

Tomorrow we play.

Got a few on these on the cheap. I’m pleasantly surprised as it’s quite nice!

IMG_6170.jpg

Also, trying out my new aerator.

Last edited:
bordeaux's.jpg

A couple excellent left bank Bordeaux's...La Mission Haut Brion is one of my favorite 2nd growth Bordeaux wines

View attachment 286183

A couple excellent left bank Bordeaux's...La Mission Haut Brion is one of my favorite 2nd growth Bordeaux wines

Nice! So do you keep these guys at cellar temp? And what intel do you use to determine the best window to open. Not that I have any cellar worthy wines, but the game of it is interesting to me.

Nice! So do you keep these guys at cellar temp? And what intel do you use to determine the best window to open. Not that I have any cellar worthy wines, but the game of it is interesting to me.

I've been using Cellar Tracker to keep track of everything and get an idea of a drinking window. The scan in function has been awesome also, if you have bottles with codes

I've been using Cellar Tracker to keep track of everything and get an idea of a drinking window. The scan in function has been awesome also, if you have bottles with codes

Yes, kept at 55 degrees F in our wine storage unit...many years ago, I put 1200 bottles on an excel spreadsheet denoting country, region, varietal, score (according to Wine Spectator) and drink/hold notes...it was a crap load of data entry.

I've been told since by several wine drinking friends that there are apps that do this...as well as scan function for bottles with codes. I will be looking into this as we transfer some of our wine to WA...and we plan to drink the other 400 bottles within the next 2.5 years here in Hawaii. Unfortunately, most of our older wines do not have barcodes to scan, but we don't intend to move them, just drink them. We are no longer collecting wines like we used too; our kids aren't interested in them, and we cant take them with us to the grave...and I'm more interested in fishing destinations now than wine destinations for travel...

napa.jpg

Here are a couple great Napa wines we had the other night...we used to be on the Lindstrom shipping list; they have great pinot's...this was an excellent cab sauvignon. The other wine is from David Arthur; it's a Bordeaux style blend with a little Sangiovese thrown in, hence the "Meritaggio" in lieu of Meritage

Fyi JAGS...I'm bringing you a small sampling of PNW wines with me when I see you in Victorville...as I promised you before...

Top Bottom