WAYALIFE Rockin Rubicon Run 2014 : June 15th - 17th

Finally getting back from Germany today to start getting things together for this trip.
We've had a great time here speaking at a conferences in England and Germany, but it's time to get going now.
12 hour flight (Saturday morning here in Frankfurt), some sleep (hopefully), Sunday morning and then a lot of prep.

Looking forward to this next couple of weeks. :wings:

^^^no and no. Regular wood is more then good.

ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1401517860.923621.jpg grow a pair!

Haha. I was Totally kidding... I've never burned it, because I thought EVERYONE knew not to burn PT lumber.. I snapped this pic after yelling at the guy who tossed this on a fire recently, and before I vacated the area. That ended the campfire for me.

I've been pulling clean KD lumber off job sites and have more than I will want to carry in my Tj.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Pardon me for my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the Rubicon trail is in a heavily wooded area...can you not burn deadfall?

Pardon me for my ignorance, but I was under the impression that the Rubicon trail is in a heavily wooded area...can you not burn deadfall?

There actually isn't that much deadfall around the camping areas. I'm sure you could scavenge, but it's a lot more fun to just enjoy a cocktail in a chair with wood you brought then spend a bunch of time having to hunt for wood and drag it back to the fire pit.

There actually isn't that much deadfall around the camping areas. I'm sure you could scavenge, but it's a lot more fun to just enjoy a cocktail in a chair with wood you brought then spend a bunch of time having to hunt for wood and drag it back to the fire pit.

Gotcha, makes sense. I thought cali went crazy and passed a law saying you can't burn deadfall or something. :D

All I have is Red Oak for Tri-tip, guess it will have to do! :>)

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

You can get grilling chips just about anywhere, only a few bucks a bag.
Edit: for those youngsters that don't know, Grilling chips are chips of real wood such as Mesquite used for grilling, not charcoal.

Last edited:
Even the trees are better out west. :D

Lol! I am willing to bet that at least at rubicon springs, there isn't as much deadfall because people are constantly scavenging and keeping it clean.

Some of the other places I've camped out west have enough deadfall to make a good fire, but I don't know what I'm comparing it to, and since Adam is from back east, he would have a good comparison.

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

There's normally not as much deadfall out here as there is back there in the east. From what I have seen at least.

I'd say this is generally true in the Sierras. Once you get up into Oregon though, the deadfall in some areas is so thick you can't walk. Crappy forest management practices over the years have made parts of that state a tinder box.

I'd say this is generally true in the Sierras. Once you get up into Oregon though, the deadfall in some areas is so thick you can't walk. Crappy forest management practices over the years have made parts of that state a tinder box.

Hmmmm? I've lived a large part of my life in Oregon, have several logging friends and others that work in forestry and I've never heard that before. You must have picked that from all those hippie rafting chicks with the braided armpit hair that you used to hang out with. ;)

There's so many trees up here, that you can't clean them up fast enough!

Actually- in my local forests, our local dirt bike club does trail maintenance and clean up as a trade to have permission to ride on this specific area It's a private timber company that owns it, so the rules are pretty strict.

Top Bottom