The build/re-build of Gruff

With a 90* zerk you wouldn't have to. Based off the pic it looks like there is plenty of room. If not then easily jacking the Jeep up a little to let the axle droop would allow access

I can agree with that. A 90* fitting may allow that to work.

That's an easy project to try out. I have a variety pack of zerks I can dig through & see how that works out. Wish some of this damn humidity would blow outta here though. It's kinda miserable out in the garage right now. :sFun_hot:

Awesome Jerry! I never realized how far back the front arms mounted.

Seems like the exhaust loop is essentially covered from getting smacked by the lower arm now?

Congrats on the upgrade Jerry, next time I see you I am crawling under your Jeep :)

Be sure to bring along a blanket ;)

Awesome Jerry! I never realized how far back the front arms mounted.

Seems like the exhaust loop is essentially covered from getting smacked by the lower arm now?

Thanks Ryan! Yes, that loop is basically inverted now. You can see all the small pieces he added in to get it to fit in that space.

So I've put a couple hundred miles on the Jeep since the upgrade and I have to say its a pretty amazing difference. Before the LA's 70mph was fine. 75 was tolerable, but 80? Umm, yeah no. I was in Wyoming last Spring on I-80 getting blown off the road by the semis going 90. It sucked mightily. Now I've taken it up to 90 several times and there is absolutely zero drama. None. I've looked down several times at the speedo over the weekend and surprised myself that I was going as fast as I was. I'm confident I could go faster no problem, but frankly I don't need to. And I'm really pissed I can't find someone to balance my damn tires. One of the best upgrades I've done. Thanks Shopteach for a job well done! :thumb:

Thanks! I heard what sounded like an awful lot of balancing beads in both front tires. I didn't notice the same in the rear?

Thanks! I heard what sounded like an awful lot of balancing beads in both front tires. I didn't notice the same in the rear?

LOL! Shhhhhh!

I meant to ask you about that but forgot. I wondered if you put the tires back on the same corners since I knew I had those in the front but figured out when I jacked it up & spun the front tires. Yeah, long story. I tried that as last resort. I can't find anyone, and I've tried everywhere, to balance these tires. No one will touch them. I finally found a shop that would but the damn weights they use won't clear the rear caliper with those Dynagrip rotors. So as a last resort I bought a couple bags of those beads off of the guy to try out & see if they would take the edge off. The tires really aren't that bad but now that I can actually go fast I do notice a little more vibrations. Bottom line is the beads really don't help much at all. But Taylor did get a lesson on how to install beadlock rings so I guess it wasn't a total waste.

Edit: You HAVE to post up some pics of your rigs here! Both of your Willys are just badass. For anyone that reads this Shopteach is building a Willys pickup (not sure of the year but 50's I believe) on a JK frame. It is cool as hell. And it's not a bolt-on build. This is a fabrication build. This thing is begging for a build thread!

Last edited:
Looks great Ddays! Did you find you had any clearance issues with your sliders and the LA mounts you had to account for?

Looks great Jerry!

Now all you need is a DTD, and a LS, and a 60/80 combo, and 40s and then u can call it done...

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Dang, obviously [emoji849] he needs all those things, but can't you at least let him enjoy the long arms. I mean he's going to totally notice all the glaring deficiencies in his jeep next time he wheels but just let the man enjoy this day!

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Looks great Ddays! Did you find you had any clearance issues with your sliders and the LA mounts you had to account for?

Thanks Dave! No clearance issues with the EVO sliders. They are the only ones that they will confirm fitment with though.

Looks great Jerry! Now all you need is a DTD, and a LS, and a 60/80 combo, and 40s and then u can call it done...

HAH! No thanks! I'd love the LS waaaaaaay down the road but I will never go over the 37's I have now. As for the rest of that setup ^^ we got to see Jeffj's beast in action in June at Rausch with the DTD & 60/80's. Wow, its friggin awesome!

Dang, obviously [emoji849] he needs all those things, but can't you at least let him enjoy the long arms. I mean he's going to totally notice all the glaring deficiencies in his jeep next time he wheels but just let the man enjoy this day!

LOL, see above. Wheeling with a rig that has all of that stuff sure does get you wondering how much you can get for donating plasma! ;)

LOL, see above. Wheeling with a rig that has all of that stuff sure does get you wondering how much you can get for donating plasma! ;)[/QUOTE]

And donating other stuff 😕!

If we see you bumping up to 40's, We'll have to watch out for all the little D-days running around!

Not too bad, I had to grind about 3/8" of the weld and mount of the rearmost mount.

Was that on the driver side? The mobile welder guy was cussing up a storm when he was doing those welds. That's when he had me fiddling with all the knobs like I knew what I was doing.

5000 posts? Geez, time flies

From this

Jeep day 1.jpg

To This in 2 years. Been a blast so far!

RC.jpg

top.jpg

Another milestone yesterday

44444.jpg

Top Bottom