TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

Agree with this comment. 

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. As my original post clearly stated, I just want to make sure people are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case. People can take that advice or leave it. However, if people want to come on here to try and make this thread into something that it was never intended to be, I will deal with them accordingly. :yup:

Some people are too "macho" to do that Ed. Btw, can I call you Ed? I would be surprised if this person is truly unaware that posting onto a thread such as this where some people obviously get very emotional about shouting rah rah for TF then turn around and call US fanboys, wouldn't have done so knowing the repercussions.

As I have noted, he clearly knew what he was doing and he admitted as much on his 2nd post. Now he's just trying to play dumb, presume goodwill and preach at me.

I am fairly certain a good ol IP check would reveal the true identity of this new member and their intentions.....

Maybe, but really, it doesn't really matter. I think it's pretty clear what his intentions were.

With all the recent posts, I've been quietly reading. But I have one fucking question/statement when it comes to "hingegate."

Who is Ed? 😂😂😂

Yes sir. Paratroopers fly higher and prison guards that like to tapUout while watching PACten football.

What are you trying to say, that there have been others who's only purpose for being on this forum was to be a troll? Say it isn't so :eek:

:cheesy: I really liked how you put that together like that :D

With all the recent posts, I've been quietly reading. But I have one fucking question/statement when it comes to "hingegate."

Who is Ed? 

Beats me :idontknow: :crazyeyes: :D

Again, I'm not trying to convince anyone of anything. As my original post clearly stated, I just want to make sure people are aware of the potential problem. If you have one of these carriers installed on your Jeep, please be sure to keep an eye on this area just in case. People can take that advice or leave it.

Since reading this thread I have checking mine regularly and so far it has worked flawlessly as advertised. No complaints and no failures. I will continue to check mine and continue to post here with feedback.

Since reading this thread I have checking mine regularly and so far it has worked flawlessly as advertised. No complaints and no failures. I will continue to check mine and continue to post here with feedback.

:cheesy: It took me a minute to recall who you were. In fact, I had to check your posts to remember who you are and that's when I realized you had checked out of here back in April after you took issue with comments I apparently made and them being "sarcastic" and in a way that you considered to "inflame a poster or thread". Of course, this was all going on with a member who has since been banned and went by the moniker, TacPen. Well what a surprise it is to see you here again after all this time.

In case you've missed it, TeraFlex apparently has redesigned their tire carrier and gusseted it up. Clearly, they are finally admitting that the version you have is flawed and doesn't work as well as they had advertised. But, it's good to know you are still checking what you have. Again, the original intent of this thread was to inform people like yourself of the flawed design and with the hopes of keeping others safe. :yup:

:cheesy: It took me a minute to recall who you were. In fact, I had to check your posts to remember who you are and that's when I realized you had checked out of here back in April after you took issue with comments I apparently made and them being "sarcastic" and in a way that you considered to "inflame a poster or thread". Of course, this was all going on with a member who has since been banned and went by the moniker, TacPen. Well what a surprise it is to see you here again after all this time.

In case you've missed it, TeraFlex apparently has redesigned their tire carrier and gusseted it up. Clearly, they are finally admitting that the version you have is flawed and doesn't work as well as they had advertised. But, it's good to know you are still checking what you have. Again, the original intent of this thread was to inform people like yourself of the flawed design and with the hopes of keeping others safe. :yup:

Yup I left for awhile because it was too much drama for me. I like the forum as well as other forums and like to hear different opinions. I will keep up with mine to help others and if it fails I will contact TF.

Yup I left for awhile because it was too much drama for me. I like the forum as well as other forums and like to hear different opinions.

Well, I'm glad to see that you are in control of yourself and can choose to be a part of whatever drama it is you think you see or, recuse yourself from it. :yup:

I will keep up with mine to help others and if it fails I will contact TF.

Well, in spite of what some choose to believe, I do hope yours never fails. A call to TeraFlex won't mean a whole lot if someone were to get hit with a flying spare tire and I wouldn't want to wish that on anyone.

It's comical that this thread comes back to life and today on our Facebook club page someone has this carrier that has failed, thankfully no one was injured. And yet (Ed) lol is the bad guy for trying to inform people of this problem.

2011 JKU 3.5 R.E. Longarm lift.

How are you evil for being concerned with the safety of others or could cause damage to their rig? :thinking:

And also the safety of others on the road. A 37" Nitto TG or MG could cause some serious carnage if on the loose at highway speeds!

Sent from J-Dub253WA's iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app!!

It's comical that this thread comes back to life and today on our Facebook club page someone has this carrier that has failed, thankfully no one was injured. And yet (Ed) lol is the bad guy for trying to inform people of this problem.

Ed is a bad guy. He is responsible for getting a lot of people hammered on "da honey" :D

I've thought about adding the MetalCloak tire carrier on my MC rear bumper because I think it will mount lower than the TF one does which would give me a little more visibility out the rear. It would also be easier to clean. Not because the TF doesn't operate as described. Of course I threw away my stock hinges.

Last edited:

No kidding? Honestly, I've been hearing of more and more of these TeraFlex tire carriers breaking and I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt with this one. If I am a bad guy for trying to inform people of a very real problem that can really hurt someone, so be it.

Ed is a bad guy. He is responsible for getting a lot of people hammered on "da honey" :D

LOL!! I resemble that remark :honey:

...not because the TF doesn't operate as described.

Of course not. :crazyeyes:

No kidding? Honestly, I've been hearing of more and more of these TeraFlex tire carriers breaking and I'm glad to hear nobody got hurt with this one. If I am a bad guy for trying to inform people of a very real problem that can really hurt someone, so be it.

LOL!! I resemble that remark :honey:

Of course not. :crazyeyes:

Your def not a bad guy people just get all bent out of shape. Anyone have any exp with the smittybilt tire carrier that is just a bolt on replacement for the stock carrier

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Anyone have any exp with the smitty built carrier that's only 150$ on quadratec I'm curious how thus holds up with a 35

2013 JKUR 4" Enforcer lift w/ 35" fierce attitude MTs , RR modular front bump w/ warnvr8k

Anyone have any exp with the smitty built carrier that's only 150$ on quadratec I'm curious how thus holds up with a 35

Plenty of people run a 35 on the stock carrier. So long as its tight against the rubber isolators it will be fine. The supposed weakness of the stock setup is not the tail gate hinge. People say the tailgate spot welds start to break and that is really only gonna happen if u allow movement in the spare tire... With that said, if u allowed movement with the stock tire I bet the same thing would happen, so its really not so much the weight between a stock 32 and a 35, its proper mounting. BTW I run a 33" toyo open country mt on my stock carrier. This tire is known to weigh as much as some 35's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Plenty of people run a 35 on the stock carrier. So long as its tight against the rubber isolators it will be fine. The supposed weakness of the stock setup is not the tail gate hinge. People say the tailgate spot welds start to break and that is really only gonna happen if u allow movement in the spare tire... With that said, if u allowed movement with the stock tire I bet the same thing would happen, so its really not so much the weight between a stock 32 and a 35, its proper mounting. BTW I run a 33" toyo open country mt on my stock carrier. This tire is known to weigh as much as some 35's.

Sent from my Galaxy Nexus using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks I appreciate the detailed response I think I'm going to just get the bumpstops for now and call it a day

View attachment 40972View attachment 40971View attachment 40970Wanted to let those who have the original teraflex tire carrier and the adjustable mount that has been shown to break that I was able to get a new gusseted version of the mount for free from teraflex. I contacted their rep on another forum, sent pics to show I had the dangerous old style, and bam! New piece showed up at my door. You can see the gussets in the pics here. I also included a pic of the packing slip showing the part number and description. It says ".....assembly with reinforcement side gussets."

Thanks Eddie for making me aware of this issue before something bad happened!:beer:

View attachment 40956View attachment 40957View attachment 40958View attachment 40959

Last edited:
Top Bottom