TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

I read this thread about two weeks after I installed my Teraflex carrier and it was brutal to hear. I'll post some pics, but I've since then taken the carrier and had it both welded solid (no longer a slide adjust) and also added gussets to the existing tubes.... AND also added a JCR rear bumper. So, all my efforts to save a little $$ were quickly ruined and I now have a non-adjustable... adjustable carrier that's only useful with 4.5" backspacing and 12.5" wide tires. I added up the total cost for all the things I've done to the rear but I've since forced it from my memory because the EVO carrier happens to now fall right in the same range as my investment... and that's a hard fact to accept. :doh:

Hey WOL, thanks again for your brutally honest product evaluation. It is a great service to all of us to have the benefit of you and other members experience when deciding how to spend our hard earned dollars!!!

I'm currently in the market for a carrier for my 37" spare... with this information overload, can you distill things down a little. I'll be at SEMA crawling around everybody's products looking for the right one for me. ( love how you see people laying on the carpet under Jeeps at SEMA & I'm one of those guys )

I am a no rear bumper guy with EVO frame plugs. so something that doesn't require a bumper is my preference. I have experienced departures in Colorado and Utah that would probably impact a spare if I had it on...

Thanks !!!

Well, I appreciate you taking what I have to say for what it is rather than being some kind of an attack on a manufacturer. Being that you play in Utah and Colorado, I might recommend a Genright tire carrier. The OR-Fab is an good option too but, after installing one, I don't know how well it would take a hit from a drop. Of course, I've installed an EVO tire carrier with their corners and can tell you that it'll take a beating.

so did they ever fix this issue?

They have attempted to add new gussets BUT, that will make no difference IF the sidewall of your spare does not press firmly up against the bracket and or tailgate isolator. As is the case with the factory tire carrier, IF you allow your spare to jiggle, things will break.

Having said all that, I cannot stress enough that:

1.) This $700+ tire carrier is simply NOT NEEDED. The factory hinges are plenty strong and I have yet to see or hear of any breaking. I personally have carried a 35" spare on my factory tire carrier and without ANY problems and more recently, EVO started carrying a super heavy Nitto 37 mounted on a super heavy ATX slab wheel without any issues. Again, the key here is to make sure that your sidewall is pressing firmly up against the rubber isolator.

2.) Carrying a spare on a tailgate is a BAD idea. Sure, it can be done but, if you wheel your Jeep, you will run the very real risk of serious tailgate damage and/or broken hard top glass. If you really can afford $700, I personally would recommend that you get a real tire carrier.

Of course, that's just my opinion.

I'm one year into having mine and it has been perfect. No cracks or issues and very solid. Still happy I bought this. I do check mine often just in case because of this thread.

I'm one year into having mine and it has been perfect. No cracks or issues and very solid. Still happy I bought this. I do check mine often just in case because of this thread.

I have the TeraFlex tire carrier. I'm running a 37 " KM2 mounted on a Method wheel. While not as heavy as a Nitto 37 with a slab, it has some heft to it. I had the tire carrier installed 9 month ago or so. The Jeep is primarily used as an Overlander . Lots and lots of washboard roads and whooped out desert tracks. I have had to tighten the lugs on the tire no less than 5 times based on the wiggling of the tire. And yes I have it snugged up on the stops. I called Teraflex and explained the issues I was having as to constantly having to tighten the tire to the mount. I also noted the tire movement when I closed the tail gate. While mine showed no signs of cracking at the weld, TerraFlex mailed out the upgraded mount with the gussets. Huge difference ! The first thing I noticed was that the tire did not jiggle when I slammed the gate closed. Took the Jeep out and ran it pretty hard down a wash board desert track. No wiggle noted in the rear view mirror when moving ! And no loosening of the tire to mount. I'm happy ! BTW - TerraFlex requested I return the original mount.

Attention

Description: You do not have permission to access the resource.
If this condition persists, please contact the helpdesk.

I have the TeraFlex tire carrier. I'm running a 37 " KM2 mounted on a Method wheel. While not as heavy as a Nitto 37 with a slab, it has some heft to it. I had the tire carrier installed 9 month ago or so. The Jeep is primarily used as an Overlander . Lots and lots of washboard roads and whooped out desert tracks. I have had to tighten the lugs on the tire no less than 5 times based on the wiggling of the tire. And yes I have it snugged up on the stops. I called Teraflex and explained the issues I was having as to constantly having to tighten the tire to the mount. I also noted the tire movement when I closed the tail gate. While mine showed no signs of cracking at the weld, TerraFlex mailed out the upgraded mount with the gussets. Huge difference ! The first thing I noticed was that the tire did not jiggle when I slammed the gate closed. Took the Jeep out and ran it pretty hard down a wash board desert track. No wiggle noted in the rear view mirror when moving ! And no loosening of the tire to mount. I'm happy ! BTW - TerraFlex requested I return the original mount.

Attention

Description: You do not have permission to access the resource.
If this condition persists, please contact the helpdesk.

Good to hear, you can thank Eddie for the new and upgraded mount. :D

I have the TeraFlex tire carrier. I'm running a 37 " KM2 mounted on a Method wheel. While not as heavy as a Nitto 37 with a slab, it has some heft to it. I had the tire carrier installed 9 month ago or so. The Jeep is primarily used as an Overlander. Lots and lots of washboard roads and whooped out desert tracks. I have had to tighten the lugs on the tire no less than 5 times based on the wiggling of the tire. And yes I have it snugged up on the stops. I called Teraflex and explained the issues I was having as to constantly having to tighten the tire to the mount. I also noted the tire movement when I closed the tail gate. While mine showed no signs of cracking at the weld, TerraFlex mailed out the upgraded mount with the gussets. Huge difference ! The first thing I noticed was that the tire did not jiggle when I slammed the gate closed. Took the Jeep out and ran it pretty hard down a wash board desert track. No wiggle noted in the rear view mirror when moving ! And no loosening of the tire to mount. I'm happy ! BTW - TerraFlex requested I return the original mount.

Off Road Evolution IS running a very heavy Nitto Trail Grappler on an ATX Slab on their EVOlander and has it mounted to the stock tire carrier with a set of $15 Daystar isolators to prevent jiggling. They just ran it on the recent JKX driving hard and fast off road across hundreds of miles off road desert terrain, beat it up at Sand Hollows and Logandale and then ran it on the Rubicon and all in one week. They had to tighten NOTHING as there was no wiggling of the tire and the tailgate held up just fine. No calls needed to be made to Chrysler or Daystar as nothing loosed up.

Good to hear, you can thank Eddie for the new and upgraded mount. :D

LOL!! I am glad to hear that they are taking care of people who call in about this issue but I'm still bothered by the fact that it's a $700 tire carrier, one that isn't needed and one with a problem that could really hurt someone. Clearly, TeraFlex realizes there is a problem and one significant enough that they have since addressed it but, it does leave me wondering why they wouldn't take responsibility of what they have already made money on and issue some kind of recall. But hey, that's just me.

Off Road Evolution IS running a very heavy Nitto Trail Grappler on an ATX Slab on their EVOlander and has it mounted to the stock tire carrier with a set of $15 Daystar isolators to prevent jiggling. They just ran it on the recent JKX driving hard and fast off road across hundreds of miles off road desert terrain, beat it up at Sand Hollows and Logandale and then ran it on the Rubicon and all in one week. They had to tighten NOTHING as there was no wiggling of the tire and the tailgate held up just fine. No calls needed to be made to Chrysler or Daystar as nothing loosed up.

LOL!! I am glad to hear that they are taking care of people who call in about this issue but I'm still bothered by the fact that it's a $700 tire carrier, one that isn't needed and one with a problem that could really hurt someone. Clearly, TeraFlex realizes there is a problem and one significant enough that they have since addressed it but, it does leave me wondering why they wouldn't take responsibility of what they have already made money on and issue some kind of recall. But hey, that's just me.

I agree they should put out a "recall" on the old carrier to all their vendors and exchange them for the proper fixed units so that they don't have any issues with liability in the future. I honestly think if someone like you (who is in the industry) contacted them (rather than just a person that bought their unit) they would be more inclined to listen. I of course realize that it is in no way your job, just figured it would be a useful service to the community, that extends far further than the WOL forum. I honestly do give them credit for fixing the issue (if you have been in the modifying scene long enough surely you have encountered manufacturers that put out sh!tty and dangerous products and then resort to the "user error" bs when the product fails) but definitely agree with you that it would be in their best interest to make sure that no version 1.0 carriers are left anywhere, since the liability of a 37" Trail Grappler going through the windshield of a minivan carrying a kids soccer team could be catastrophic for them, especially since they KNOW about the problem...it could literally bankrupt the company.

I just installed the carrier & verified its gusseted, so they are shipping the revised version which also changed the brake light bracket. No more relocating the license plate as advertised, I called them & they stated they are in the process of a new design which will be out in a couple of months & that I can trade in the current bracket for the newer version at that time. I already have the PSC license plate LED kit, but now have to wait on the bracket. Mounted my 315/70/17 ATX Slabs on the carrier & noticed that I had to slide/push the carrier adjuster all the way down against the base, to get the sidewalls to rest firmly on the hinged carrier. I'll be watching it closely & adding it to the list of checking beadlock bolts etc. routinely. Was originally hoping for the plug & play solution but have to watch it closely now.

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
For all the haters out there who choose to believe that I just started this thread to burn your beloved TeraFlex tire carrier....

attachment.php

Read all about it here:
http://wayalife.com/showthread.php?14066-Old-news-but-in-case-there-are-any-doubters

In spite of what some of you choose to believe, I simply cannot make this stuff up. If you own one of these tire carriers, I would highly recommend that you make sure to keep an eye on this area just in case.

I'll check mine tomorrow and see how its holding up. Mind is the second version.

Hopefully, the gussets will be enough to hold it together better. I do have my doubts being that the inherent problem seemed to be the lack of solid tire support. From what I have seen, wheels with 3.5" of back spacing are still left to jiggle around and over time, I would imagine that could still cause metal fatigue.

Do your homework...if it is an early model it WILL break.

Ummm, I think he was being sarcastic.

They released a fix in later versions.

Did it come with yours or did they notify you of the problem and sent you a new one?

I remember when I first joined he forum, reading this and immediately sending to a friend of mine who had bought his in late march. I remember him swearing up and down it wouldn't break well sure enough a month ago he was headed down a washboard road and loosing the tire. If I can find the email I'll post the picture. Just want to say thank you from me and him.

I remember when I first joined he forum, reading this and immediately sending to a friend of mine who had bought his in late march. I remember him swearing up and down it wouldn't break well sure enough a month ago he was headed down a washboard road and loosing the tire. If I can find the email I'll post the picture. Just want to say thank you from me and him.

No kidding? He actually lost the tire?? If you could, I would be grateful if you could please post up a pic.

Top Bottom