TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

no one said "don't wheel it", or did i miss something. funny because they clearly state that its designed to carry a 37" tire, yet the put a 38" on it during testing. link to video you were misquoting to follow. go to 2:22 for the info. i watched this several times before purchasing mine and remembered this part...lol i got a good laugh with all the talk of spreading the load, just beating it up, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVB7NGY0PMc

all the videos clearly show the factory rubber bumper still on the drivers side, but removed from the pass side. not sure if that part was in the instructions however. they also clearly state to snug the tire against the carrier, but make no mention of any specific compatible range of backspacing in order to accomplish this. not sure if that was in the written instructions either. i used the video when i put mine on.

I'm almost positive there were no written instructions or recommendations on backspacing. It's a little disappointing that TF is not handling this better, but hopefully mine continues to do what it is intended to do. If anything comes out of this thread for me, I will at least keep an eye on mine.

My friend isn't exactly web savvy and it was too dark to take a pic of it when I did see it. But, I will see what I can do.

Don't think I'm saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to see what they did and where they gusseted it. :thumb:

:cheesy: Is that a fact?? Well, it's unfortunate but, it sounds like TeraFlex is choosing not to handle this just like they did with their weak front track bars and long arm mounts. I just hope nobody gets hurt in the process. Of course, you're free to believe whatever it is you want to believe. Certainly, I have no reason to make any of this up.

I'm not saying I don't believe you or them really. I think your friend is guilty of not installing it as tight as it should have been per their instructions, not because he didn't try, but because the offset of his wheel wouldn't allow it. Just seems like its not the set up he should have with his wheel and tire combo. That being said, I think TF has to step up and give clear offset guidelines. They haven't advertised anywhere that you can't use a 12.5" width tire on the stock wheel without a spacer and that you also, at the opposite end of the spectrum, can't use a deep dish wheel with 5"+ back spacing because it won't sit tight enough against the adjuster.

I'm not picking sides, just calling it how I see it. I just wanted to call them and see if there was a new part available and if so, trade mine in for the improved part. :twocents:

You will probably only get the "revised" install instructions if they have to send out a replacement. That way those with 32"s hanging from their mount will never know of the issue. Companies will always do as little as possible to correct defects as long as the risk of death is low enough.

andrew -

I don't think there are any changes to the instructions. They say the tire needs to be tight against the hinge. :yup:

The tire carrier that broke was installed to the best of the owners ability based on the written instructions and to the best of my knowledge, there is NOTHING included about wheels or a compatible range of back spacing. I love how TeraFlex and their fanboys all want to blame my friend for "not installing it properly" BUT, I can assure you, had he known that he wouldn't be able to install it properly, HE WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

^^^^this. im gonna bomb my sh#t out offroad solo and see what happens...lol

Eh, everyone's idea of bombing the sh#t out off road is a bit different than what I would consider to being bombing the sh#t out off road. How about you come wheeling with me - with you in back of course. I'm sure I can take you through some trails that would really put your tire carrier to the test. Only rule is that you don't hold me responsible for any damage you might get. What do you say?

In the original release they said it could hold a 40" tire. This was later edited, I am guessing, to a 37" because they knew it wouldn't hold a 40" after testing.

That's what I remember seeing as well. Of course, not too many other people seem to remember that. :rolleyes2:

I'm almost positive there were no written instructions or recommendations on backspacing. It's a little disappointing that TF is not handling this better, but hopefully mine continues to do what it is intended to do. If anything comes out of this thread for me, I will at least keep an eye on mine.

And really, that was my only point to starting this thread. If it's descended since then, you can thank all the fanboys for that.

Eh, everyone's idea of bombing the sh#t out off road is a bit different than what I would consider to being bombing the sh#t out off road. How about you come wheeling with me - with you in back of course. I'm sure I can take you through some trails that would really put your tire carrier to the test. Only rule is that you don't hold me responsible for any damage you might get. What do you say?

In the back seat of Moby? I'll take that offer! :cheesy:

The tire carrier that broke was installed to the best of the owners ability based on the written instructions and to the best of my knowledge, there is NOTHING included about wheels or a compatible range of back spacing. I love how TeraFlex and their fanboys all want to blame my friend for "not installing it properly" BUT, I can assure you, had he known that he wouldn't be able to install it properly, HE WOULD NEVER HAVE BOUGHT IT IN THE FIRST PLACE.

to be honest i'd love to go hit some trails with you. i'm sure i could learn a ton. i really dont mind if my carrier gets destroyed, especially if im offroad and taking up the rear so no one is hurt and no vehicles are damaged(disclaimer: as long as its the carrier portion like the pic of the damaged one and not the gate and i' am able to recover my airbone spare...lol).dont take my earlier post the wrong way. i'm glad i have been made aware of this issue so i can ensure mine is properly installed, or look for a new alternative that will not put other drivers in any danger. i posted so we are all clear about what is claimed by teraflex regarding 37" tire size. the post by jags was his own interpretation of heresay.

Don't think I'm saying I don't believe you, I'd just like to see what they did and where they gusseted it. :thumb:

I will try to get a shot of it. Just don't know how soon that will be as I may have to meet up with him and get it.

I'm not saying I don't believe you or them really. I think your friend is guilty of not installing it as tight as it should have been per their instructions, not because he didn't try, but because the offset of his wheel wouldn't allow it. Just seems like its not the set up he should have with his wheel and tire combo. That being said, I think TF has to step up and give clear offset guidelines. They haven't advertised anywhere that you can't use a 12.5" width tire on the stock wheel without a spacer and that you also, at the opposite end of the spectrum, can't use a deep dish wheel with 5"+ back spacing because it won't sit tight enough against the adjuster.

So that it's clear, my friend would NEVER HAVE BOUGHT THE TIRE CARRIER had he known ahead of time that he wouldn't be able to install it properly. To me, TeraFlex has a responsibility to clearly advertise what their product is capable of carrying instead of BLAMING their customer for breaking it. This whole thing is just beyond me and the more I think about it and the more I hear people apologize for them the more I am just beside myself.

I'm not picking sides, just calling it how I see it. I just wanted to call them and see if there was a new part available and if so, trade mine in for the improved part. :twocents:

Well, because of all this, I am now gonna go out on a limb and pick sides and I am going to flat out say that TeraFlex should be 100% responsible for this break. I am gonna call it like I see it and say that THEY have a responsiblity to clearly state what their tire carrier is capable of carrying and specify that it shouldn't be used unless their requirements are met. If nothing else, this would have kept people like my friend from buying it in the first place. But hey, that's just me.

I don't think there are any changes to the instructions. They say the tire needs to be tight against the hinge. :yup:

Which is completely stupid being that a person wouldn't know that they can't get a tire to sit tight up against the hinge until after they've bought the tire carrier and installed it. :naw:

to be honest i'd love to go hit some trails with you. i'm sure i could learn a ton. i really dont mind if my carrier gets destroyed, especially if im offroad and taking up the rear so no one is hurt and no vehicles are damaged(disclaimer: as long as its the carrier portion like the pic of the damaged one and not the gate and i' am able to recover my airbone spare...lol).dont take my earlier post the wrong way. i'm glad i have been made aware of this issue so i can ensure mine is properly installed, or look for a new alternative that will not put other drivers in any danger. i posted so we are all clear about what is claimed by teraflex regarding 37" tire size. the post by jags was his own interpretation of heresay.

I won't lie, the problem you will see is with tailgate damge. :crazyeyes:

Still, there are plenty of other trails you'll most likely be fine on and I hope you do join us on some runs :yup:

no one said "don't wheel it", or did i miss something. funny because they clearly state that its designed to carry a 37" tire, yet the put a 38" on it during testing. link to video you were misquoting to follow. go to 2:22 for the info. i watched this several times before purchasing mine and remembered this part...lol i got a good laugh with all the talk of spreading the load, just beating it up, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVB7NGY0PMc

Ok, technicality. They ran a 38" hard in the desert, but released for a 37". My reference to "don't wheel" was based on a customer conversation with teraflex as I quoted that convo the customer had in that post. If TF says the break was caused by hauling/running fast/playing hard whatever you want to call it, then I take that as you shouldn't do that. Like when your little and your parents said don't play with matches it could start a fire. Will you always cause a fire, no, but chances increase.

In the original release they said it could hold a 40" tire. This was later edited, I am guessing, to a 37" because they knew it wouldn't hold a 40" after testing.

There may have been a release to "announce" the carrier that said this. I guess proper testing didn't prove it so. By the time it hit the market, it was adjusted to 37" in all the vids and install vids. This much I know because I was VERY interested when it was released.

Glad I waited as I would not trust a 37 and barely a 35 on this thing now. :grayno: And even then only with a light wheel/tire combo, not the heavier tires like a Nitto or Toyo.

I won't lie, the problem you will see is with tailgate damge. :crazyeyes:

Still, there are plenty of other trails you'll most likely be fine on and I hope you do join us on some runs :yup:

ugh....havent seen many pics of guys running "gateless" :cheesy:
i'd love to come out with the wayalifers. i'm dying to get my rig back from mel.
as i said, i'm reviewing alternatives now. dont think the evo carrier will work with my evo stretch corners :thinking: i'm gonna run it by mel when i see him. keep me informed of any runs you are open to having me on.:beer:

the post by jags was his own interpretation of heresay.

Well I appreciate that. :cheesy: I apologize for believing someone that they called TF. So I guess you are saying that guy lied.:idontknow:

I'm just taking in info as it comes in from people who own the carrier and/or have talked with TF about it. I guess too the pics could be photoshopped. One guy said TF told him to "alter" the install instructions. The other guy said he called tereflex and they told him it was result of running it hard in the desert to cause the break.

ugh....havent seen many pics of guys running "gateless" :cheesy:
i'd love to come out with the wayalifers. i'm dying to get my rig back from mel.
as i said, i'm reviewing alternatives now. dont think the evo carrier will work with my evo stretch corners :thinking: i'm gonna run it by mel when i see him. keep me informed of any runs you are open to having me on.:beer:

LOL!! You don't need a tire carrier like what EVO makes to handle big ledges. Any good bumper tire carrier that takes the spare and puts it out on a swing away arm will protect your tailgate too. I've completely slammed and dragged my 40x15.50 mounted on an LoD tire carrier on ledges and to the point where I've lost lugs without doing ANY damage to my tailgate.

LOL!! You don't need a tire carrier like what EVO makes to handle big ledges. Any good bumper tire carrier that takes the spare and puts it out on a swing away arm will protect your tailgate too. I've completely slammed and dragged my 40x15.50 mounted on an LoD tire carrier on ledges and to the point where I've lost lugs without doing ANY damage to my tailgate.

with the evo stretch my tires are gonna be pushed back beyond the rear of the jeep (similar to vengeance) which i believe will not allow a bumper/tire carrier. i need an option like the evo carrier. thats why the tf appealed to me in the first place....no need for a bumper.

with the evo stretch my tires are gonna be pushed back beyond the rear of the jeep (similar to vengeance) which i believe will not allow a bumper/tire carrier. i need an option like the evo carrier. thats why the tf appealed to me in the first place....no need for a bumper.

Not sure, but you may also want to look at the or-fab and/or genright. They also provide bumperless tire carrier swings. Though not sure they'll work with your corners though.

Have you looked at the GenRight steel tire carrier? It's not that much more than the TeraFlex carrier, doesn't require quarter panel armor to install and would be a much better option in my opinion.

Top Bottom