Ratcheting/Clicking noise help

904Jeep

I have an 09 Auto with 51k miles on it. About one month ago I noticed a ratcheting/clicking noise coming from the front end upon acceleration. The noise at first would only be heard in the mornings until the water temperature gauge would begin to move. Now the ratcheting/clicking noise has progressively gotten worse. It now occurs anytime the jeep has been sitting for more than an hour and regardless of the water temperature. This past weekend while on a trail I had the windows down and could quietly hear the noise even though I had been running the jeep for several hours. I took it in to the dealer and they said I had a cracked drivers side manifold which they replaced under warranty. This did not fix the issue. I already checked my driveshafts for play and both are fine. I should also note that the noise only occurs when the transmission is in drive and under load. I've revved the engine in neutral and no noise occured

Sent from my LG-P930 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Sounds to me like you have a drive shaft cv joint that is failing. You would not be able to tell this just by checking it for play. If you're sure it's coming from the front, pull the shaft and see if it goes away.

Sounds to me like you have a drive shaft cv joint that is failing. You would not be able to tell this just by checking it for play. If you're sure it's coming from the front, pull the shaft and see if it goes away.

Thanks. I will drop the front shaft and see if the noise goes away.

Sent from my LG-P930 using WAYALIFE mobile app

Does it sound similar to the beginning of this video? If so it's your front DS, I had to change mine on Sunday after our run in Holopaw. I really only noticed in 4wd and was worse when turning, more load. Also check the front u-joints if your front DS is fine.

Last edited:
Does it sound similar to the beginning of this video? If so it's your front DS, I had to change mine on Sunday after our run in Holopaw. I really only noticed in 4wd and was worse when turning, more load. Also check the front u-joints if your front DS is fine.

Mine sounds more like a fast turning ratchet sound. Both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Only occurs when on the gas. What should i be looking for on the u-joints to see if those are going out?

Mine sounds more like a fast turning ratchet sound. Both 2 and 4 wheel drive. Only occurs when on the gas. What should i be looking for on the u-joints to see if those are going out?

If that's the case, it could be your rear drive shaft and the noise is just traveling through your drive train. Your factory shafts only have one u-joint at the front pinion and that will be fine. It's the rzeppa joints at the transfer case and rear pinion that will go bad. A sure sign something is wrong is if you can see grease from that area. It'll be on your tub and/or gastank skid.

A sure sign something is wrong is if you can see grease from that area. It'll be on your tub and/or gastank skid.

No grease spots around the joint areas. Both boots are intact as well. Won't be able to drop the shafts until next weekend since I have finals next week. Would it be alright to take off the rear shaft, shift into 4HI and run FWD to see if its my rear shaft that's going out?

another way to check is to lift all four wheels off the ground make sure you put it on jack stands and the tires are not touching the ground start it up and put it in four high and idling should turn it enough that you'll be able to hear it

No grease spots around the joint areas. Both boots are intact as well. Won't be able to drop the shafts until next weekend since I have finals next week. Would it be alright to take off the rear shaft, shift into 4HI and run FWD to see if its my rear shaft that's going out?

Yes you can do this, dont drive around all week like this, but you can do it for testing purposes

Have you grabbed a hold of the DS and tried to shake it, mine was intermittent popping and I could still shake the DS. It wasn't much but it shouldn't move at all. I wouldn't chance it on the North FL run tomorrow if you were still planning on going.

another way to check is to lift all four wheels off the ground make sure you put it on jack stands and the tires are not touching the ground start it up and put it in four high and idling should turn it enough that you'll be able to hear it

Lifted all four off the ground put it in drive and the ESP kept activating keeping me from over 1000RPM. Disabled ESP via the switch on the lower dash and was able to reach higher RPM's but was not hearing any noises. Once back on the ground I took a drive and could hear the noise.
Have you grabbed a hold of the DS and tried to shake it, mine was intermittent popping and I could still shake the DS. It wasn't much but it shouldn't move at all. I wouldn't chance it on the North FL run tomorrow if you were still planning on going.

No play like that. Slight bit of rotational play up front but I assume that to be slack in the gears.

UPDATE: I took a video this morning so that you can hear what i'm hearing. It's best heard between 0:15 and 0:25. After that i'm mostly coasting or the wind noise is too loud until towards the end you can hear it again.

You are freaking me out. Mine just starter 3 days ago making that noise. The EXACT noise. Same circumstances. PLEASE HELP..

HEAVY I/O

UPDATE: I took a video this morning so that you can hear what i'm hearing. It's best heard between 0:15 and 0:25. After that i'm mostly coasting or the wind noise is too loud until towards the end you can hear it again.

You are freaking me out. Mine just starter 3 days ago making that noise. The EXACT noise. Same circumstances. PLEASE HELP..

HEAVY I/O

Reassuring to know that i am not alone. Have you taken it to the dealer to see what they say? It's hard to replicate the sound without having the jeep sit in the lot for hours. Mine started making noises only in the mornings but as it has gotten colder here it makes the noise whenever it has been sitting for awhile.

My Jeep dealers here are LAME. They play the well it's not stock card... They can't even balance a tire. I'm sad now....

Anyways. I have the day off and plan on getting under my rig and start moving around parts and see what is up.

My Jeep is a 2009 Rubicon with a 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, D44s, Teraflex trackbar, Gibson exhaust, extended brakelines, chopped fenders, Smitty built tire carrier and rock rails, teraflex shocks.

The first thing I am going to look at is the top of the front shocks. Since my lift I added longer shocks for the front. I want to make sure that the disk isn't vibrating. Other than that I wouldn't have a clue. These are the last 3 mods I latest to oldest. Front shocks replaced, extended brake lines, longer swaybar end links.

I don't know what modifications you have done, just seeing if we did something the same to make this noise.

My Jeep dealers here are LAME. They play the well it's not stock card... They can't even balance a tire. I'm sad now....

Anyways. I have the day off and plan on getting under my rig and start moving around parts and see what is up.

My Jeep is a 2009 Rubicon with a 4 inch lift, 35 inch tires, D44s, Teraflex trackbar, Gibson exhaust, extended brakelines, chopped fenders, Smitty built tire carrier and rock rails, teraflex shocks.

The first thing I am going to look at is the top of the front shocks. Since my lift I added longer shocks for the front. I want to make sure that the disk isn't vibrating. Other than that I wouldn't have a clue. These are the last 3 mods I latest to oldest. Front shocks replaced, extended brake lines, longer swaybar end links.

I don't know what modifications you have done, just seeing if we did something the same to make this noise.

My modifications are up to date on my profile page. Sucks your dealers wont actually look into it. If i can replicate something for them they'll look into it, just don't want to wait there for hours so that i can do that for them. Did you find anything that was loose or fixed the noise? Shafts on mine are coming off this week to see if it goes away.

My modifications are up to date on my profile page. Sucks your dealers wont actually look into it. If i can replicate something for them they'll look into it, just don't want to wait there for hours so that i can do that for them. Did you find anything that was loose or fixed the noise? Shafts on mine are coming off this week to see if it goes away.

I placed the rear end on jack stands and wiggled and turned stuff and nothing seems loose. I have 31,000 miles on my 09 and most of them are 60% highway, 35% street, 5% wheeling. The only things I found was my front left speed sensor was loose, the retaining screw was coming off of my evap canister (I relocated it the underside above the diff). Nothing that would make that noise. I am wondering if it may be something in the pumpkin. I don't know what the locking mechanism looks like in the lockers. I have a standard and I was thinking about putting it back on stands start it and let it run in first. I have a mechanics stethoscope probe and I can get under there and listen.

Wife keeps giving me stuff to do.. Got to please the boss if you know what I mean.

What it sounds like ( listening to the vid) is the heat shield that is on the crossover exhaust pipe. It's tack welded on . One or more of the tacks may have broken loose. You really have to look close with a flashlight. Use a screwdriver to pry the shield up and away on the broken tack weld if you find one, then take it for a spin. I originally thought my tranny was going out when this happened to mine. That broken tack can make a helluva noise and tends to do it under accelleration more.

Last edited:
What it sounds like ( listening to the vid) is the heat shield that is on the crossover exhaust pipe. It's tack welded on . One or more of the tacks may have broken loose. You really have to look close with a flashlight. Use a screwdriver to pry the shield up and away on the broken tack weld if you find one, then take it for a spin. I originally thought my tranny was going out when this happened to mine. That broken tack can make a helluva noise and tends to do it under accelleration more.

I didn't look at the exhaust. Good call. I didn't get a chance to touch my Jeep today. I will look at it tomorrow.

Looked at the exhaust this morning. None of the welds on the cross pipe heat shield were broken. Used a screwdriver to pry along it and all other heat shields along the exhaust. Everything is tight.

Top Bottom