Pvanweelden's JKUR build

Started cutting some 3/4" steel for some rear D ring mounts and 3/8" angle that will get doubled up for front mounts to replace my stock tow points
uploadfromtaptalk1389384780226.jpg

^ thanks Artayay!
Another pic of rear d ring mounts, not done yet tho
View attachment 63940
And made my own license plate relocation bracket by welding to the mbrp bracket, ready for my oro light and daystar isolators, and my $80 brand new tire :)
uploadfromtaptalk1389395104603.jpg

Pic didn't post, I will be punching more holes in the 3/4" plate to shed weight, right now these weigh about 4 lbs each :)
uploadfromtaptalk1389395756058.jpg

Here's another pic of the mbrp bracket with a 4 inch piece of 1 x 1 and a 2 inch piece of 1.25 x 1.25 welded to a piece of 3/16"x 1"x8" with a set of plastic license plate nuts. Yes, I could have bought the one from hardrock or genright, but this was only $5 to make.
uploadfromtaptalk1389419484292.jpg

I don't want to piss people off here, but when I stated that this is my 'build' thread, I meant it. I've seen too many "build" threads that only show who is paying the bank. This is not my 'bought' thread. I will build as much as can, when it seems like I could buy cheaper than I could build, I will.
I actually just got the ok from the wife to order coilovers when the tj sells, as long as I buy her a puppy :) small price to pay, here puppy puppy :)

I don't want to piss people off here, but when I stated that this is my 'build' thread, I meant it. I've seen too many "build" threads that only show who is paying the bank. This is not my 'bought' thread. I will build as much as can, when it seems like I could buy cheaper than I could build, I will.
I actually just got the ok from the wife to order coilovers when the tj sells, as long as I buy her a puppy :) small price to pay, here puppy puppy :)

Self fabrication builds are better, always like the do it your self.

While I like your build and the fabrication that you are doing, there's just as many great Jeeps, Jeepers, and "builds" that do not include self fabricating parts. Some self fab parts may be stronger or better than some manufacturers off the shelf parts....but I've also seen all too often these self fab parts fail where an elite manufacturers part wouldn't flinch. Not everyone has fab and welding skills/tools but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be happy and proud to show off what they built or bought with their time and hard earned money! :twocents:

I am eagerly anticipating the build of your shock bodies and valving :yup: ;)

Last edited:
I never said I was going to build my own coilovers :D

Like I said, if it makes sense I will buy. Otherwise, the majority of the fun is making the parts!

And I do test what I build :)
uploadfromtaptalk1389451565448.jpg
Yes, I know this is not a true test of pulling strength :D

While I like your build and the fabrication that you are doing, there's just as many great Jeeps, Jeepers, and "builds" that do not include self fabricating parts. Some self fab parts may be stronger or better than some manufacturers off the shelf parts....but I've also seen all too often these self fab parts fail where an elite manufacturers part wouldn't flinch. Not everyone has fab and welding skills/tools but that doesn't mean they shouldn't be happy and proud to show off what they built or bought with their time and hard earned money! :twocents:

I am eagerly anticipating the build of your shock bodies and valving :yup: ;)

A wise man once said "A mans got to know his limitations".
Pvans just seem a bit higher than most us us other wannane's. :)

Last edited:
So if you pay a shop to fabricate something isn't it still bought? Some people don't have the funds to buy parts (or prefer not to spend the $$) and some people don't care for the looks of the homemade parts, to each their own!

Last edited:
Not paying for anything but materials or structural welding, I don't trust my welding skills on the important stuff, it is good to know your limits :) I have access to a local shop, and spend my lunch hours working there on my homemade stuff :)

Pauly nice build thread. Bought or built I could care less. Its the time you put into it that im jealous of. :)

I do have one question, why are you even thinking about coilovers? Dont get me wrong I think coilovers rock. They just dont seem your style is all!

Sent from my SCH-I605

Maybe this should be called " I got permission to do this" thread..

Sent from my SCH-I605

^ haha, but speaking of that, my wife asked why I had my nuts in the cupholder
uploadfromtaptalk1389476656884.jpg
And I said 'better than in your purse' :)

Thanks Rubicrawl and Boj-Ox!
I mounted the switches in my 2nd switch panel this afternoon, and got some of the wiring done in the jeep. The seat heater switches had to filed quite a bit to fit in the daystar, but I think it turned out nice. The wiring that is included with the heat kits is long enough to reach the back seats without modification. So with this switch pod, I have a spdt horn switch for 2 different horns, front seat heaters, rear seat heaters, passenger eject will be the esp kill switch, and spdt for winch in/out.
uploadfromtaptalk1389488291739.jpg

Top Bottom