Pvanweelden's JKUR build

My wife has a mini convertible which she loves. I will admit it's a fun car to drive with the top dropped.

Took the jkur on a road trip for our first time yesterday, and now i understand what everyone is annoyed with when describing the hood flutter. The TJ never did this, at least not this bad (but the sheet metal is a lot thicker on the TJ).
After 20 minutes, i pulled over and removed the Hood spring (like Devallee had suggested in the cheap mods thread, thank you Devallee) and just like that, no more flutter. Best mod i have done yet.

The treadwrights- still very happy. They drove very smooth, not much noise (quieter than the wind noise).

In other news, sad to say, that we are no longer a ALL jeep family :mad:
We sold our remaining WJ this weekend, and am going to pick up a mini Cooper tonight, for wife's main vehicle. I've already started to plan a heist :thumb:

Yea the good fluter is crazy, I remember the first time I drove at high speeds and a semi was in the incoming lane I almost died. The good jumped like 2 inches. Now I get a kick out of it. Makes me feel like I'm going fast... Because our rigs are so aerodynamic. Well you can always say the dealer ran out of minis and had a jkur for you instead

There are 2 kinds of people; Jeepers and well no one cares about the other.

Took the oldest lab for a top down jeep ride today, since it got up to 45 degrees today in Iowa :thumb:
IMG791.jpg
and here's a pic of the mini, it is a fun car to drive, nice get up and go. i like that the previous owner plastic dipped all the typical chrome black.
IMG787.jpg

A few years ago, I made 4- 25 ft ski ropes, and attach them to the rear tow points, add some sleds, and every time it snows, we hit empty parking lots :D
We got our first measurable snow today in Iowa!
1386538355350.jpg

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

A few years ago, I made 4- 25 ft ski ropes, and attach them to the rear tow points, add some sleds, and every time it snows, we hit empty parking lots :D
We got our first measurable snow today in Iowa!
View attachment 59452

Sent from my LG-C800 using WAYALIFE mobile app

That looks like so much fun!! Your key word is "empty" parking lots right?? Cause I've seen way too many videos when they weren't empty!!!

05 Tj, long arm, one ton, lockers, winches, 39.5" Iroks

Been working on quite a few things, but rarely getting much done :)
Installed evo plush coils in the front to level it out.
uploadfromtaptalk1387603684905.jpg
projects I am working on, spod, sliders, armor, heated seats. Removed the york oba from the tj, so soon it will get added to the jk. I had a great setup on my tj which allowed me to air up all four 36" tires in 3 minutes TOTAL.

Last edited:
Man I'm just getting through your whole thread this am. The bumper setup is on my future list for sure! I'm running the warn rock crawler right now so really haven't been in a hurry to change it up. Will sell it after the holidays and start on the next project.
Question for you- how would you incorporate a tow point setup? I guess I should clarify, would you go with the bolt on gen rite's or something similar? I don't have plans for it now but want to be set up for pulling it behind something later on.

Last edited:
Hey Wes! Yes, the bumper uses the standard 8 holes on the front frame rails, so the factory tow hooks can be switched out anytime with any other d ring shackles. I will be switching mine out at some point, but for now, these were free :)

Cool can't beat that price! Evo has a nice set that look like they will match right up to the frame and are half price of gen rites. Looks like you went with 1/4" plate or is it 3/16?

I did 3/16" after seeing that shrockworks and a few other companies were using 3/16". Normally I would just go with 1/4" and call it a day, but I believe the welds would break off the front of the frame rails before the 3/16" would bend.
I went with 6" x 5.75" x 6" x 40"

I agree on the 3/16 especially with the end/ corners as gussetting. Did you start then with an 18x40" and bend it!? If so Thats one hell of a metal brake setup!
Did you add plate on bottom at winch base to prevent flex or twist on bottom plate?
Sorry just went back and read you had 3/16 and a 10' brake. Goin through too fast. Need to take my medication! : )

Last edited:
^lol, yes I started with a 18" x 40" piece and used to the brake to bend it. I thought about adding another layer of 3/16" to the bottom, but with the gussets, I think that would be overkill. I may add some 2"x2"x2" angle iron welded to the frame so I could add a bolt on each side towards the back of the bumper, but still prolly overkill.

I may need to do mine in multiple pieces and weld up cause I dont have access to a big boy bender :grayno:. Looks like will be a fun project though, looking forward to starting it.

Ok, been a while since an update here, but its cold in iowa, and I don't have a heated garage. I've been busy regardless with the diy spod, and even hooked it all up even though I don't have a single accessory to hook up to it, yet. Tomorrow hopefully I will have some progress to show.
Wes- or anyone else folllowing this thread for bumper ideas- if you can't make the bumper one solid piece like I did, use an angle for the bottom (winch mount surface) and the front face (where the bumper mounts to the frame mounts) if that makes any sense

Yay, got my evo c gussets welded on, and lca skids, and relocated the steering stabilizer.
uploadfromtaptalk1388972847153.jpg
Clearanced the upper gussets to avoid coil contact
uploadfromtaptalk1388972935408.jpg

Who doesn't like free?
Found this cart in a dumpster by work, perfect for doors! I'll just paint it, throw some pipe insulation and carpet on it, maybe add extensions for back doors.
uploadfromtaptalk1389296409637.jpg
And I never picked up a 5th 315/70, but I've been watching CL, and going tonight to get a brand new firestone MT for $80 :)

Ok, been a while since an update here, but its cold in iowa, and I don't have a heated garage. I've been busy regardless with the diy spod, and even hooked it all up even though I don't have a single accessory to hook up to it, yet. Tomorrow hopefully I will have some progress to show.
Wes- or anyone else folllowing this thread for bumper ideas- if you can't make the bumper one solid piece like I did, use an angle for the bottom (winch mount surface) and the front face (where the bumper mounts to the frame mounts) if that makes any sense

Yep. 6" angle or "L" x 40" great idea. I'll be on the lookout for some. I have plenty of 8" wide x1/4" u Channel I was going to use to build a mongo sheet metal brake with but that is way too heavy.

Top Bottom