Pvanweelden's JKUR build

In the process of changing out stock tow points for the ones I made a few weeks ago. Even with dropping the edisco, the bolts are a pita to get to :mad: and it's only 6 degrees here in Iowa right now, so giving up for the night :beer:

1391307688583.jpg
Sent from my SM-N900V using WAYALIFE mobile app

After talking with Wes tonight, next time I pull the bumper off, I will weld the nuts to the stock backing plates that go behind the frame fascia panels so all I have to do is thread the bolts in from the outside. Thank you Wes! Awesome idea!

Happy to help. Had given that a little thought already for when i get around to my front bumper. May incorporate some sort of keyway supports also to hold weight and line up bumper while bolting up.

Thanks again Wes! I forgot to mention, I had 1 1/4" bolts and by the time you add the 3/8" +3/16+3/16+1/4, I didn't have enough to thread, so 3 hardware stores later I got 2" bolts. Here was how I left it tonight
1391319333849.jpg

After talking with Wes tonight, next time I pull the bumper off, I will weld the nuts to the stock backing plates that go behind the frame fascia panels so all I have to do is thread the bolts in from the outside. Thank you Wes! Awesome idea!

Be sure to get good grade weld nuts / "heavy nuts" (their term, not mine!) from somewhere like Fastenal. They are much beefier and easier to weld... IMO :) Great idea, though!

^ yes, of course! fun fact for the day- while buying bolts tonight- I had to chose between grade 5 and grade 8- who can tell me which has a greater shear factor without looking it up?

^ yes, of course! fun fact for the day- while buying bolts tonight- I had to chose between grade 5 and grade 8- who can tell me which has a greater shear factor without looking it up?

Pretty sure that grade 8 is harder making it more brittle so I would say grade 5 as it will deflect more in a shear stress

Grade 8 has higher tensile strength. That means when loaded axially (pulled on long-way). This does, however, translate to a higher shear strength in most cases, as well. Just go with grade 8. Honestly, though, in the size bolt that you will be using 4 of to hold a ring mount on, you will never possibly shear 4 bolts in half, no matter how hard you pull! :)

Food for thought... the entire body of the jeep is bolted to the frame with maybe 8 or 10 body mount bolts. They are grade 10.9 (which is metric equivalent of grade 8 SAE). No matter how violent, terrible, horrendous of a wreck you've seen pics of, can you recall ever seeing the entire body of a car sheared off the frame? I often over-think things like bolts myself...so then I try to think of little examples like this :thumb: Personally, I like the fact that you can often get the grade 8 bolts in a yellow zinc finish, which is pretty corrosion resistant. Especially where you are living...that may be a bigger plus!

Oh, almost forgot... yellow zinc finish however not ideal for welding on though.. The ones labeled 'weld nuts' or 'heavy nuts' tend to be raw steel for easier welding.

Last edited:
^ the body mounts is a great example! :thumbup:
The grade question has been long debated, but in the end the grade 8 is always the best answer for almost every application. I am working on an idea that will rely heavily on both shear and pull strength. But with multiple bolts, as in the body mount example, the reality of breaking all the bolts is pretty low.
Happy Superbowl day to everyone!

Here's the front recovery points done, just need to remount the edisco and sway bar link
1391368319100.jpg

Added some lights, hooked up to the driving light wires, but won't be used on the road. Edisco hooked back up, all ready to watch the Broncos win!
1391382653226.jpg

Well, David has his diy angry eyes mod, heres my diy sleepy tired baggy eyes mod :D
1391530526043.jpg

Funny! How about the apologetic eyes?ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391559764.583008.jpg
Or the peeking around a corner eyes? ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391559807.741580.jpg
And one of my normal angry eyes just for comparison ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1391559906.207739.jpg

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Fun fact for today- what jeep came from the factory with the highest gear ratio? Without trying to Google it

Fun fact for today- what jeep came from the factory with the highest gear ratio? Without trying to Google it

I don't know for sure, but an old girlfriend of mine had a Cherokee with a 4 banger and 4:56s. That's the highest I've ever heard of.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using WAYALIFE mobile app

^ that is it! Xj 4 banger manual had 4.56. I actually owned a set of those axles a few years ago

The lowest crawl ratio I've heard of was the manual rubicons in 05-06. They have like a 4.5:1 first gear, 4:11 ring and pinion, and 4:1 t case for a factory crawl ratio of like 74:1!! That's low!!

My ride- 2001 power wheel, 11" plastic tires, upgraded battery, boat sides, custom bumpers, tow hooks, new paint.

Top Bottom