Napalm's Billet Steel! The 2016 JKU Sport Build Thread and Picture Diary

If this humidity weren't enough, the pop up showers we are having in east Texas are just too unpredictable. Unfortunately I had to button Steel back up!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1470702156.439500.jpg

If this humidity weren't enough, the pop up showers we are having in east Texas are just too unpredictable. Unfortunately I had to button Steel back up!
View attachment 216603

I know the feeling referencing the storms! We have a flood warning until 11pm tomorrow night in the whole county.

Also, completely understand about waiting on the 35's. The deal I got was too good to pass up. I do plan on 4.88's and a rear locker too. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be with the stock gears...so far. It's not ideal, but not terrible either.

I know the feeling referencing the storms! We have a flood warning until 11pm tomorrow night in the whole county.

Also, completely understand about waiting on the 35's. The deal I got was too good to pass up. I do plan on 4.88's and a rear locker too. It's not nearly as bad as I thought it would be with the stock gears...so far. It's not ideal, but not terrible either.

Yeah, I guess what I mean by all that is, I feel like I rushed the 35s with Onyx. While 35s are great, I finished everything up with stage 1 and then immediately jumped into 35s which weren't planned for awhile down the road. I never really sat back and enjoyed and wheeled Onyx after finishing that stage. So, after I get the winch and the Rubi wheels/tires, I'll have another chance at that. All of the wheeling that I do will be handled by this set up just fine, and eventually we will make the transition to stage two.

Yeah, I guess what I mean by all that is, I feel like I rushed the 35s with Onyx. While 35s are great, I finished everything up with stage 1 and then immediately jumped into 35s which weren't planned for awhile down the road. I never really sat back and enjoyed and wheeled Onyx after finishing that stage. So, after I get the winch and the Rubi wheels/tires, I'll have another chance at that. All of the wheeling that I do will be handled by this set up just fine, and eventually we will make the transition to stage two.

I get it, too. I'm impatient to do things to this JKU, but you also learn to make yourself be patient, and do important things, and in the proper order.

Hey Napalm, I really appreciate your time to build this thread. I had ordered a Black 2016 Willys JKU in early July. I was actually going back and forth between the black and silver. There was an issue with my order as it was late in the year (they stopped building orders for 2016 models apparently) and so today I sat down with my salesman again and we updated the order to a 2017. A few days ago I was directed to your thread when I asked for advice on a leveling kit. Seeing your JK in Billet silver and your description of it made me decide to switch over to the Silver color. I like how the black trims play off the silver. They also had an LED light option available now (includes projector LED headlights and fog lights) and went with that too.
Needless to say, I'll be ordering the EVO leveling kit and having that done as soon as possible. Looks great on your rig, thanks again for all your info.

6k in what, 8 months? You're on pace to drive less than me!

Only if I'm lucky. We can only strive to be as awesome as you!

That's crazy bo D-day already has bout 18k

Wow! That just means you are using it :)

Hey Napalm, I really appreciate your time to build this thread. I had ordered a Black 2016 Willys JKU in early July. I was actually going back and forth between the black and silver. There was an issue with my order as it was late in the year (they stopped building orders for 2016 models apparently) and so today I sat down with my salesman again and we updated the order to a 2017. A few days ago I was directed to your thread when I asked for advice on a leveling kit. Seeing your JK in Billet silver and your description of it made me decide to switch over to the Silver color. I like how the black trims play off the silver. They also had an LED light option available now (includes projector LED headlights and fog lights) and went with that too.
Needless to say, I'll be ordering the EVO leveling kit and having that done as soon as possible. Looks great on your rig, thanks again for all your info.

Wow! Thank you for all the kind words! I'm glad that I could help with your color choice. I can assure you that you'll love it :)

You'll also love the EVO level. It's a very simplistic kit that gets the job done and improves the ride quality(in my opinion) leaps and bounds. Can't wait to see your new rig!

Spent the day picking up some new wheels and tires for Steel :)
Found a steal on some very much used 2014 Rubi wheels with almost done BFGs. They might have 5k left on them or so, so I figured what the heck. $200 bucks for Rubi wheels and tires with TPMS and to top it off, a brand new spare! They even came with a Level 8 deflator.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471123905.713070.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471123921.752875.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471123943.013895.jpg
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471123955.102329.jpg
Since these tires are pretty much at the end of their life, I knew I'd need tires soon. So for $350 I found a set of 4 BFGs with 10k miles on them and brought them home as well.
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471124024.105717.jpg
Now, my only concern is that I noticed that two tires have uneven wear on the tread. Some of the knobs are taller and some are shorter. I assume that these were ran in the front and that maybe the alignment was off causing uneven wear. I plan to run one of these strangly worn tires in the rear and the other as a spare. Do any of you think these will cause an issue being in the rear?
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471124136.961000.jpg

Spent the day picking up some new wheels and tires for Steel :)
Found a steal on some very much used 2014 Rubi wheels with almost done BFGs. They might have 5k left on them or so, so I figured what the heck. $200 bucks for Rubi wheels and tires with TPMS and to top it off, a brand new spare! They even came with a Level 8 deflator.
View attachment 217264
View attachment 217265
View attachment 217266
View attachment 217267
Since these tires are pretty much at the end of their life, I knew I'd need tires soon. So for $350 I found a set of 4 BFGs with 10k miles on them and brought them home as well.
View attachment 217268
Now, my only concern is that I noticed that two tires have uneven wear on the tread. Some of the knobs are taller and some are shorter. I assume that these were ran in the front and that maybe the alignment was off causing uneven wear. I plan to run one of these strangly worn tires in the rear and the other as a spare. Do any of you think these will cause an issue being in the rear?
View attachment 217269

Great deal! I would say even of you buy new tires of the same size, your still ahead with $200 Rubi wheels! Gonna look great!

A better picture of the uneven wear. This is only on two of the tires thankfully. The other two look great!
ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1471125163.646177.jpg

My only concern is vibrations/ride/etc. do you guys think I'll experience this with this one tire in the rear?

View attachment 217269

The are "feathered" I'm not sure if that will cause any vibration issues, but they will make noise at the least.

That's exactly how the tires on my Rubi looked when I bought it. First owner never rotated them. The thing was super loud and felt like I was in a massage chair. I sold them on CL and put on 4 new KO2s and it was night and day difference.

The are "feathered" I'm not sure if that will cause any vibration issues, but they will make noise at the least.

I'm okay with the noise.. After all, they are knobby mud tires ;)

That's exactly how the tires on my Rubi looked when I bought it. First owner never rotated them. The thing was super loud and felt like I was in a massage chair. I sold them on CL and put on 4 new KO2s and it was night and day difference.

I'm hoping that since I only have one in the rear that's this way I won't experience this as bad. The other one I'll use as a spare for emergency situations.

I agree with what Dwiggles said run both of em in the rear and they will wear even [emoji106] congrats on the new tires I'm not a fan of the stock sport tires haha bad experience with those in Death Valley [emoji23]

Top Bottom