My Jeep is trying to kill me...

took me about 10 tries doing the steering wheel dance before it took hold - Tip, turn your wheel all the way to one direction and count the number of turns it takes to get to the other full lock direction. Then turn 1/2 that amount to get the "center" starting point.

1. Verify that the automatic transmission selector is in the “Park” position, and that a manual transmission is in neutral gear.

2. Shift the transfer case into the 4H range position and ensure parking brake is firmly set.

3. Turn the steering wheel until it is centered and the wheels are pointed straight ahead.

4. Turn ignition on (and optionally start engine to make turning the wheel easier – will work with or without engine running) and wait approximately five (5) seconds for the system bulb check to complete.

5. Turn the steering wheel one-half turn to the right (clockwise).

6. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly then release and wait for chime.

7. Turn the steering wheel back to centre, then continue turning the steering wheel one-half turn to the left (counter clockwise).

8. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds exactly, release and wait for chime.

9. Turn the steering wheel back to centre.

10. Press and hold the “ESP OFF” button for 7 seconds, release and wait for chime.

11. Cycle the ignition switch to the “OFF” position.

I should add, this does not turn it off completely, it makes it less sensitive to the larger tires. I can still feel it kick in when absolutely needed.

I've done all of this, and in my Jeep it works in 4 high, but as soon as I shift into 2wd again it stops working.

Actually, it is a 4 door.

I never ran anything other than stock until I dropped it off at Off Road Evolution, who did a whole bunch of work below the waterline. I never had any issues with the traction control. I did have to recenter the steering wheel after some hard wheeling but that was pretty simple. I did not use the ProCal to do this since I could figure it out pretty easy on my own.

I hope you get your issues fixed but my money is also on something that 4Wheel Parts did to screw things up somehow. I just do not see how the components you have installed would lead to the issues that you are having. The holding your Jeep hostage is what alarms me. Almost like they didn't know what to do and had to wait until the lead technician got back from vacation.

Good luck!!

It's funny that you picked up on waiting till their tech got back from vacation because they were actually waiting until the dealerships lead tech got back from vacation... lol!

Reply to 1: fair enough, I guess that could really suck.

2: dam that sucks they had it hostage, I would have been pissed about that.

2.5: sorry I meant that changing the gears with the pro cal doesn't matter. Changing the info in the computer is to change your shift points with the auto.

One thing I don't know if it has been said or not. I had a wheel speed sensor go back a few months back, it would do the same break stuff. Have you looked into the wheel speed sensor being bad or more than one of them?
Also, I'm running 35x12.50 with 3.73 gears so I know the pain I have a Sport so don't really want to regear. Maybe one day I can get either some Rubi take offs or new axles all together.

I haven't trouble shot any of the sensors yet other than to verify that the wires and plugs aren't loose. My Jeep doesn't yet have 15 thousand miles on it, and it worked perfectly fine before the lift. I drove it from Virginia to California, wheeled the crap out of it in Cali and then drove it back to Virginia without any issues. All of my problems started after having it lifted.

Why did you have to re-center your steering wheel after wheeling? I would assume that you hit your tie rod, which threw your toe-in off a bit and you compensated by adjusting the draglink. This could lead to some tire wear issues over time if you didn't reset the toe-in prior to adjusting drag link.

A whole bunch of stuff happened. The Hydro assist moved, the tie rod was adjusted, and then I had to recenter the steering wheel.

Thank you for the concern, but it all checked okay. Besides, things settle in and adjust, so it is completely normal to need to readjust the suspension a bit.

A whole bunch of stuff happened. The Hydro assist moved, the tie rod was adjusted, and then I had to recenter the steering wheel.

Thank you for the concern, but it all checked okay. Besides, things settle in and adjust, so it is completely normal to need to readjust the suspension a bit.

Cool. Not trying to step on toes, just didn't want you to forget an easy step and have uneven wear on your tires.

Why did you have to re-center your steering wheel after wheeling? I would assume that you hit your tie rod, which threw your toe-in off a bit and you compensated by adjusting the draglink. This could lead to some tire wear issues over time if you didn't reset the toe-in prior to adjusting drag link.

x2 - did you inspect everything before putting the wheel to center or did you just use the turn buckle to re-center?

last trip out my steering wheel was way off after I pulled into the staging area. after inspecting everything, I found the driver side tie rod end got pulled out a few threads from the paint mark (paint marks are great to easily spot issues like this). I got lucky, turned out the clamp bolts were loose and once I screwed the end back in, everything lined back up. my bad for not checking all the bolts before heading out.

Just for anyone interested my issues with 4wp's stems from this:

I ordered my lift, rims, and tires online a month and a half before my local Jeep clubs annual Raush Creek trip. Unfortunately I selected the ship to store option because I didn't want a bunch of very expensive parts sitting on my porch while I was at work. Unfortunately selecting ship to store delays the arrival of your parts because they don't ship right away, instead they ship the next time a truck is going to said store...

So instead of like a week to get my parts, it turned into a month, so my parts didn't show up until 2 weeks before my planned Raush Creek trip...

SO... instead of taking my parts home and installing them myself like I'm perfectly capable of doing, I paid 4WP to install them because they promised me they could have them all installed in time for me to make the RC trip...

Instead they broke my clock spring, couldn't figure out what the heck they did, and held my Jeep hostage for two weeks thus causing me to miss the RC trip that was the entire reason I paid them to do the install in the first place.

Another reason I now hate 4wp's... they installed the rear track bar bolt backwards leaving the long end of the bolt hanging out over the bump stop so I only had 2" of up travel until I bottomed out hard and painfully as the bolt contacted the aluminum Currie bump stop extension.

Plus they told me I needed a new tie rod long side because my old one was bent, then after they installed the new one it still hit in the same place as my original one and they figured out they had installed the Currie track bar bracket and PSC ram mount wrong, but they still left the new tie rod on and still charged me for it even though there was never anything wrong with my original one.

Plus they only balanced 4 of the 5 tires and rims I bought from them. They allowed me to leave with absolutely now wheel weights at all on my front right side tire, so my whole Jeep rode like a paint shaker for a few days until I paid another shop to rebalance my wheels and tires and they found out the tire had no weights at all, and was a total of 19 oz out of balance which most likely means the tire was installed 180 degrees out of balance from the rim and should be spun around so the rim heavy spot and tire heavy spots are 180 degrees away from eachother etc.

Also they never bothered to flex out the Jeep to check clearances, because they welded the rear track bar bracket on at an angle that caused it to hit the shock body, and I had to clearance it with a sawsall to keep it from chewing up my shocks.

Also in the never flexed it or checked for clearance issues category: They didn't check the length of my front stabilizer end links, so the first time I took it off road my sway bar inverted and folded the end links over across the steering linkage.

And those are just the reasons I'll never let them touch my Jeep again. I won't even go into how many parts orders I've had to cancel and order through other companies because 4wp said they have it in stock, and several weeks later I've had to get my money back because they can't actually produce said parts.

Oh yeah, and they chopped the bottom out of my factory air box when they installed my PSC steering, and never bothered to tell me... if I hadn't purchased a snorkel kit and installed it myself, I never would have known it was butchered until I tried to go through a deep puddle in Carolina in the dunes of Corova, or tried to ford through the flood waters here in Va after a local hurricane and hydrolocked my engine. Luckily I found it before I did any damage, but they never even told me that they did that.

When I informed them that I bent my track bar end links the first time I wheeled them, their response was " Did you purchase our extended warranty?" Which of course I didn't... I just assumed that there would be a normal warranty for at least 3 months or so... but there isn't so my repairs are on me.

So yeah, I'm not a big fan of 4wp's and I'll never recommend anyone to buy anything from them, or have anything installed by them. I hate that they now own so many of what used to be good companies, and I hate that so many companies that are actually still good still do business with them.

And I've got a bunch more gripes about them that I could also add, but I've inspected my Jeep and looked over everything they did, and besides putting a bolt in backwards and not testing out the flex to check for binding and interference etc, the rest of the install appears to be correct, and I don't see any loose wires or plugs that would be causing my Traction Control issues.

Holy crap what a horror story! Sorry about the bad luck. Hope you find resolution asap and its something stupid easy.

sent from some burner phone found in a dumpster

Holy crap what a horror story! Sorry about the bad luck. Hope you find resolution asap and its something stupid easy.

sent from some burner phone found in a dumpster

Thanks!

The good news is that my Jeep wheels like a beast off road, and goes almost anywhere I point it. I'm slowly ironing out the bugs and making improvements here and there etc... I just wish I could take an exit ramp at speeds greater than 25mph without my Jeep trying snatch the steering from me and drive itself into the guard rail....

Thanks!

The good news is that my Jeep wheels like a beast off road, and goes almost anywhere I point it. I'm slowly ironing out the bugs and making improvements here and there etc... I just wish I could take an exit ramp at speeds greater than 25mph without my Jeep trying santch the steering from me and drive itself into the guard rail....

i can tell you from my own experience, the hydro assist does not turn as tight as stock and not equal from side to side.

If it were me, I'd disconnect the ram from the tie rod, make sure the steer stop bolts are in their stock position (no washers or extended out) then count the number of turns from lock to lock to locate the actual steering center...do the wheel dance from there.

I haven't trouble shot any of the sensors yet other than to verify that the wires and plugs aren't loose. My Jeep doesn't yet have 15 thousand miles on it, and it worked perfectly fine before the lift. I drove it from Virginia to California, wheeled the crap out of it in Cali and then drove it back to Virginia without any issues. All of my problems started after having it lifted.

I feel you on the low mileage, I had less than 27k on mine when it happened. I got her from Greenbrier Jeep in Jan '12, a month later shipped it Hawaii. Wheeled OBX before shipping, wheel K-Point on Oahu a few times. Shipped it here to Cali in Jan of this year, been wheeling a few times. About to drive to Mississippi later this week for a few months. I haven't hit 36k yet.

anyone considered the fact that the the trac bar braket was installed crooked so he probably has a messed up thrust angle unless the trac bars are adjustable and when he goes around a sweeping bend the speed sensors read all kinds of crazy speeds and thinks he is sliding sideways. Which he is if the thrust angle is way off.

Have you tried checking the sensors? One of mine was seriously a hair off on my 08 and mine did that going around left turns. Tweaked it back and bingo no more stutter stepping on left corners.
Yeah don't mind me, skimmed the thread, NM *face palm*
Sent from my SM-N910P using WAYALIFE mobile app

Last edited:
Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. I think I found the problem. I tried the procal to see if the steering wheel is centered and it is. So I got underneath and checked all the wheel sensor plugs and they are all plugged in as well.

So I was laying there underneath looking over everything and I noticed that my passenger side lower control arm is broken clean in half!!! :eek: The bushings were/are holding it in place on both sides so it looks like it's just fine until you really pay attention. It looks like it's been broken for a long time too based on all the rust where it snapped. So for now I'm going to take Thardy and everyone else's advice and park it for now until I get a new control arm.

Thanks to everyone who has tried to help me. I think I found the problem. I tried the procal to see if the steering wheel is centered and it is. So I got underneath and checked all the wheel sensor plugs and they are all plugged in as well.

So I was laying there underneath looking over everything and I noticed that my passenger side lower control arm is broken clean in half!!! :eek: The bushings were/are holding it in place on both sides so it looks like it's just fine until you really pay attention. It looks like it's been broken for a long time too based on all the rust where it snapped. So for now I'm going to take Thardy and everyone else's advice and park it for now until I get a new control arm.

WTF?! Can you post up a pic of this?

Watch WAYALIFE YouTube Videos
WAYALIFE Jeeps & Specs

Top Bottom