EAST Meets WEST: August 2020 Moab/Telluride Planning Thread

That's a 3.8 though. I would expect the 3.6 to be better. Not great, but better.

When I bought my Jeep, the first place it went was over Loveland pass, at 12,000 ft. I was new to it, so I took it relatively easy, but thought it did ok. Not a speed demon, but it held its own.

Plus the road was patchy ice in places, so I wasn't in a huge hurry.

Now I have a few years in it, I push harder in the mountains, and if you aren't afraid of rooms, it gets the job done.

Attachments

• IMG_20200507_230257_01_copy_800x600.jpg
    IMG_20200507_230257_01_copy_800x600.jpg
    157.6 KB · Views: 65
When I bought my Jeep, the first place it went was over Loveland pass, at 12,000 ft. I was new to it, so I took it relatively easy, but thought it did ok. Not a speed demon, but it held its own.

Now I have a few years in it, I push harder in the mountains, and if you aren't afraid of rooms, it gets the job done.

Yeah, my first trip through Colorado I was shitting bricks going through the high passes. Jeep wouldn't upshift and temps climbed up.
Made it through perfectly fine and temp never went over 3/4 the whole time. My first taste of driving in high altitudes.

That’s up there, we are such flat landers on this side of the country.

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

I got bad news for you. With the top open and half doors, the Jeep couldn’t hold fifth gear going 75 on the freeway. Every up hill, and we don’t have really hills in the lower half of Michigan, it would drop back to 4th. Drive into the wind, it was in fourth. All I can figure is the added drag and weight, even being regeared down, is too much for the 3.6.

Time for a 6.4....

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Yeah I’m with you on the 6.4. I almost pulled the trigger on getting one. I always told myself that the 3.6 is fine, but after 2 weeks at elevation last year. I think I really need one. Do you think AMW would be a plug and play without a lot of bugs to work out. That’s really my main concern.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Definitely towing maybe bringing a spare Jeep as well Moab and the Grand don’t have good history.

Those going over 80 for he first time be careful it’s a long climb and a long descent. Check your brakes and your tie downs

Yeah I’m with you on the 6.4. I almost pulled the trigger on getting one. I always told myself that the 3.6 is fine, but after 2 weeks at elevation last year. I think I really need one. Do you think AMW would be a plug and play without a lot of bugs to work out. That’s really my main concern.

The V6 I. These things really does struggle at elevation. I used to live at 7k and it seemed like I had 1 throttle position to be on the highway: floored to stay at speed [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

The V6 I. These things really does struggle at elevation. I used to live at 7k and it seemed like I had 1 throttle position to be on the highway: floored to stay at speed [emoji28]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE

I know what your saying, it was never happy in a gear, and didn’twant to down shift. It drove me crazy. Its not near as bad where I live and we have hills here too.

That’s what they claim. If I ever do one, they will do it. It helps that they are 20 minutes from my house, so any issues they are a close resource. Other than AEV, I think they have the most experience doing them and they have had better look keeping them cool from what I’ve been told. Bring it on up, I’d be happy to watch it for you while it’s up here [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

That’s what they claim. If I ever do one, they will do it. It helps that they are 20 minutes from my house, so any issues they are a close resource. Other than AEV, I think they have the most experience doing them and they have had better look keeping them cool from what I’ve been told. Bring it on up, I’d be happy to watch it for you while it’s up here [emoji106]

2015 JKUR AEV JK350
1985 CJ8 Scrambler

Let me know when it's there :D

Top Bottom