Critter Tread - Trapping

The saga continues. Prior to my last update here, I hadn't seen Mr yote for about a month. He showed up with a buddy. I put new traps out. He showed up the next night shortly and I put a trap there the next morning. Since then, I've tried the electronic call 4 times during the day. It is pretty fun but no luck. The area he would be in is about 7 acres and he didn't show up within an hour so I doubt he's there in the day. Who knows.

I plan on hunting there this fall so I'm at the point of being done for the season so I can stay off of the land as much as possible for the next couple of months. I even told Clay yesterday to not worry about bringing some of his firepower over. I pulled all the traps out of the ground yesterday. It's been 3 weeks since the last sighting. I told my wife "Watch this dickhead show up tonight now that traps are all removed." He did.

View attachment 411702View attachment 411703

So back at it , I am. Not sure for how long. These fuckers are so unpredictable. Either way, I came up with an improvised scent post set. We shall see. This stick has gland lures and coyote piss on it.

View attachment 411709

Now we wait.....

View attachment 411710

There is only one solution. Fire. Lots and lots of fire. 🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥🔥

If you are out of M4 Fuel Thickener Compound you can shave down some bars of homemade soap or use Ivory Flakes detergent.

IMG_4432.jpeg

IMG_4433.jpeg

IMG_4434.jpeg

Someone decided to play with the wheel of fortune last night. One trap set off and another exposed. No bait here, just lure and urine. I checked camera footage and nothing out there last night. Saw a deer kind of near there this morning but didn't appear to set it off. Not sure.

1000003599.jpg

Someone decided to play with the wheel of fortune last night. One trap set off and another exposed. No bait here, just lure and urine. I checked camera footage and nothing out there last night. Saw a deer kind of near there this morning but didn't appear to set it off. Not sure.

View attachment 411831

Ace and Gary showed up again last night. Both slowed down enough to at least sniff the ring of fire trap area. It didn't spook them but didn't keep them curious enough to investigate too long. I did see them use the exact same entry point and exit point on the trail for the third time now so I am going to drop a few more traps in some places.

1000003711.jpg

Ace and Gary showed up again last night. Both slowed down enough to at least sniff the ring of fire trap area. It didn't spook them but didn't keep them curious enough to investigate too long. I did see them use the exact same entry point and exit point on the trail for the third time now so I am going to drop a few more traps in some places.

View attachment 412029
it's going to be disappointing when you get them.
this feels like a prequel to the roadrunner...
I imagine the original writer went through something similar lol

So here's the exit trail. Narrow enough I didn't have to modify hardly anything. I closed off a couple spots further away on the sides just to make sure they walk right here. And I placed some guide sticks and pine cones near the trap edges.

1000003713.jpg

No bait, lure, nor urine. 3 traps. You can't see in the picture but the natural trail forces a step down where the back trap is. There's just enough of a hump in the dirt so I used that to my advantage. Around that back trap I really don't see anywhere else he could step unless he steps over it. But who knows anymore.

1000003715.jpg

So here's the exit trail. Narrow enough I didn't have to modify hardly anything. I closed off a couple spots further away on the sides just to make sure they walk right here. And I placed some guide sticks and pine cones near the trap edges.

View attachment 412031

No bait, lure, nor urine. 3 traps. You can't see in the picture but the natural trail forces a step down where the back trap is. There's just enough of a hump in the dirt so I used that to my advantage. Around that back trap I really don't see anywhere else he could step unless he steps over it. But who knows anymore.

View attachment 412032

Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're tromping around there in your regular shoes and not wearing any gloves that have been de-scented or left outside full time, those dudes smell everything and every stick you've touched. When I trapped we had full outfits and boots that never came inside - they were stored outdoors so there was (hopefully) no scent picked up. And even then I never caught one of these guys. Foxes are similar too - these guys are the definition of wary. They can definitely be caught but any scent out of place is like pointing with a laser pointer to them 🤷‍♂️

Man I hate to be the bearer of bad news, but if you're tromping around there in your regular shoes and not wearing any gloves that have been de-scented or left outside full time, those dudes smell everything and every stick you've touched. When I trapped we had full outfits and boots that never came inside - they were stored outdoors so there was (hopefully) no scent picked up. And even then I never caught one of these dudes. Foxes are similar too - these guys are the definition of wary. They can definitely be caught but any scent out of place is like pointing with a laser pointer to them 🤷‍♂️
I'm wearing outdoor woods boots and gloves (y)

I've heard some trappers say it matters, some say doesn't matter being that they're so use to urban smells, metals, fresh farm work. Like you, I'd error on the side of caution. The traps I put around that stick didn't spook them and I was just around there yesterday. We shall see. Every lure, bait, urine that I've used has caught their attention. Sometimes spooks, some times interest.
This trail set is the first time I've put a set right where they walk with no lures or urine and no other smelly traps near by. I'm hoping they mosey on through. We shall see.

I'm wearing outdoor woods boots and gloves (y)

I've heard some trappers say it matters, some say doesn't matter being that they're so use to urban smells, metals, fresh farm work. Like you, I'd error on the side of caution. The traps I put around that stick didn't spook them and I was just around there yesterday. We shall see. Every lure, bait, urine that I've used has caught their attention. Sometimes spooks, some times interest.
This trail set is the first time I've put a set right where they walk with no lures or urine and no other smelly traps near by. I'm hoping they mosey on through. We shall see.

Good deal.
Lol, enjoying this ongoing competition.....

Good deal.
Lol, enjoying this ongoing competition.....
Believe me, I have my doubts. But trying to stay optimistic. I reached out to a guy that traps for a living. Been doing it for like 20 years. Granted he's caught a lot but sets hundreds of traps out on thousands of acres. When he used cameras, he said he had so many times where they would walk by 20 times over weeks and just not have interest. And then boom, one night they stop and step. He said just keep at it. Like taking a dog on a walk and they sniff around, sometimes quickly, sometimes with more attentiveness.

Top Bottom