Critter Tread - Trapping

Believe me, I have my doubts. But trying to stay optimistic. I reached out to a guy that traps for a living. Been doing it for like 20 years. Granted he's caught a lot but sets hundreds of traps out on thousands of acres. When he used cameras, he said he had so many times where they would walk by 20 times over weeks and just not have interest. And then boom, one night they stop and step. He said just keep at it. Like taking a dog on a walk and they sniff around, sometimes quickly, sometimes with more attentiveness.

These guys suck. You go through all of what you've been doing and I walk out my back door to see one in broad daylight 'playing' with my dogs.
fuckers. Guarantee if I had a gun handy the shithead would have been gone before I got all the way out the door.

Please welcome our 2nd contestant to : "What's In That Tube?"

View attachment 410992
I think I may need a game cam in Carson City and set up one of these things too. We have a small pond that normally has gold fish in it but something has been eating them and ravaging all the plants in it as well. I thought it might be the dumb neighbor cat but yesterday, I saw a trash panda out front that was bigger than Ripley and now suspect, he was the culprit.

I think I may need a game cam in Carson City and set up one of these things too. We have a small pond that normally has gold fish in it but something has been eating them and ravaging all the plants in it as well. I thought it might be the dumb neighbor cat but yesterday, I saw a trash panda out front that was bigger than Ripley and now suspect, he was the culprit.
I'd recommend at least 4. They typically stick together when they prowl.

The traps don't usually come with anchors so plan for that. You can use ground anchors or chain to tree. Tree chain easier and doesn't take as long. Don't need to hide the chain, these critters are pretty dumb.

I use Z Traps, has a push/pull trigger for pretty much a guaranteed catch. I bait with a mix of dog food, marshmallows, and corn.

The tough part for you is making sure you're there. Each state is different but most require checking traps (legally and ethically) every 36 hours or so.

1000003811.jpg1000003812.jpg

I'd recommend at least 4. They typically stick together when they prowl.

The traps don't usually come with anchors so plan for that. You can use ground anchors or chain to tree. Tree chain easier and doesn't take as long. Don't need to hide the chain, these critters are pretty dumb.

I use Z Traps, has a push/pull trigger for pretty much a guaranteed catch. I bait with a mix of dog food, marshmallows, and corn.

The tough part for you is making sure you're there. Each state is different but most require checking traps (legally and ethically) every 36 hours or so.

View attachment 412161View attachment 412162
Awesome, thank you (y)

Do you have a live trap? Cat food in a live trap will work first night guaranteed.

We use these hand traps for raccoons in our area, they work great. I've also caught skunks on a few occasions, it's not fun.
No kidding. Skunks are a non-release option lol.

I let the small coons and possums go along with possums carrying young. I really only have them to keep them out of the coyote traps.

Top Bottom