WJCO's Build Thread, 1999 WJ

If I hadn't read the thread, I would say that it was your fan clutch. I seem to recall that you replaced that already.

"Sua Sponte"

Have you checked the compressor? Sounds like that's it. Haven't read the thread.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

I need to check my pressures, but compressor works fine and ac works fine unless it's 80+F outside. Then at idle only, temps rise and ac compressor starts cycling on and off and ac blows warm. Reving up the engine, makes all symptoms go away.on a day in the 70s, both cooling system and ac work absolutely fine. This all started randomly one day in July.

If I hadn't read the thread, I would say that it was your fan clutch. I seem to recall that you replaced that already.

"Sua Sponte"

Replaced this year. I had a similar issue about 2 years ago and fan clutch fixed it. This year, the fan clutch did seem weak when warm, so I replaced it. Didn't fix it this time though.

I'm stepping away from this cooling system issue for now. So I decided to do something else with the jeep today that I've been wanting to do. Last year, I hit my trans pan on a rock, and it's bugged me ever since. Not one company makes a skid for the wj transmission. So I decided to build my own. I've thought about how to do it for months and it's tricky based on the location of the exhaust, driveshaft, etc. Luckily we saved the jku cross member so I cut that for a main support along with some .250 steel I had laying around. I at least got started on it today. Looks like this will work well.

There is something so magnificent about having a couple beers and cutting 1/4" steel with fire.... in sandals, lol.

IMG_20170827_161952_406.jpg

IMG_20170827_161902_094.jpg

I'm gonna be checking out the "OSHA Is This OK?" Instagram posts for the next few days to see if some dude in jerusalem cruisers shows up with his feet on fire :D

#safetythird
lol

What plasma are you using? And so true. Something to be said about taking a butter knife to steel.

Miller Spectrum 125c, has a built-in compressor. .250 is about it's limit. Entry level for sure.

I'm jealous! My "plasma cutter" resembles an angle grinder with a cutoff wheel. [emoji23]

Hey, whatever gets the job done.

That sounds like a lot of fun...... and satisfaction, especially with the sandals on lol

It was. No need to take the little blue pill when you're tearing shit up like this.

I'm gonna be checking out the "OSHA Is This OK?" Instagram posts for the next few days to see if some dude in jerusalem cruisers shows up with his feet on fire :D

Lol. It works. It's legit.

Lol. My buddy calls them Jerusalem cruisers, too.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

Never heard of that one. Funny shit.

Here's a rough draft of how it will look. I still need to bolt it up and then figure out how/if I will fasten it to the driver's side. I don't like how low it is, but I do like that it gives plenty of clearance for air flow so the trans doesn't get too hot.

IMG_20170827_202219_578.jpg

IMG_20170827_201839_755.jpg

0827172009.jpg

Went ahead and finished up the transmission skid plate. Had to drill a hole in the body to mount the strap. I like how it turned out, kept it simple. I wish it were a little higher up, but it gives adequate space below the pan for cooling and if the skid bends at all, it likely won't hit the pan. The hang strap is fairly close to the driveshaft and pan, I may have to re-bend it in the future.

IMG_20170830_163312_486.jpg

IMG_20170830_163529_415.jpg

IMG_20170830_163403_296.jpg

IMG_20170830_163427_298.jpg

IMG_20170830_164608_906.jpg

IMG_20170830_163714_892.jpg

Last edited:
Top Bottom