Will the MADNESS Ever Stop?! 🤬

Colorado does that shit. They call it "open space" , people vote on it, then they lock it up for decades for environmental studies. People can't access a lot of it. Or they over'regulate it to the point it's not even worth going. Sad.
That and or the opposite happens and the state makes every inch of ground available for private purchase and then nothing is open/available for the public to use.

The fight is never ending, that is for sure. I’d always rather have the fight at the local level given the choice.

Is there an organization like BRC at the PA state level? If not, why?

Not familiar with BRC?

I have a friend that's a state congressman and when he got elected i started riding him about the State Game Lands being basically closed to any other use but hunting and fishing. I'd text him pics of closed and locked gates throughout these areas & continually ask "Why off limits" & open these to the pubic or clubs to cut some trails through these areas & maintain them. He couldn't get anyone else on the commission to even listen.
Asked him if an organized Jeep rally to our capital in Harrisburg would help. Even offered a ride along so they could see what we do. Nope. Forget it. Not happening.

I’m with you guys, it’s extremely frustrating and the fight never stops. I do think it’s a poor course of action to count on the benevolence of the Fed-Gov, especially when most of their control of the land is in violation of the 10th Amendment. Given the choice of constitutional or not I’ll take constitutional.

I predict we have only just begun to see bad things come from Fed control of what’s mostly red states.

I’m with you guys, it’s extremely frustrating and the fight never stops. I do think it’s a poor course of action to count on the benevolence of the Fed-Gov, especially when most of their control of the land is in violation of the 10th Amendment. Given the choice of constitutional or not I’ll take constitutional.

I predict we have only just begun to see bad things come from Fed control of what’s mostly red states.

This battle has been ongoing since at least the 70's. Rick "Super Hunky" Sieman (LMAO - try using that nickname now) was a huge pain in the ass to the Sierra Club and BLM back then along with some guy they called The Phantom Duck of the Desert. Super Hunky was a dirt bike racer and the Editor of Dirt Bike Magazine back then. Even though I was a youngster I loved his columns railing at the BLM.

Miss those days

That and or the opposite happens and the state makes every inch of ground available for private purchase and then nothing is open/available for the public to use.
But if a private individual or club were to buy up land and create a OHV park then it would make sense. Not saying that’s the answer necessarily but the state is only going to act in the states best interest. Private owner would presumably act in his own best interest as well.
When I say state I mean government at any level.

My family fought with the Feds over land quite a bit. The forest service was on a campaign of closing everything they could. Lots of old ranches and homesteads were absorbed by the Feds in AZ. Some of their activities bordered on criminality. There were a few historical sites they allowed to fall into disrepair or burn up so they could close off the land. 🤬

‘Cherry Stemming’ or hiding long established roads so the Feds could skirt the rules and declare Wilderness areas was a popular technique.

The Sagebrush Rebellion was a serious thing and some thought it would lead to a real rebellion.

Chalk it up to another “our government is shady” story too. They sell this shit as let us take control of the land and we will help it or we need to close this land for a bit to protect the animals. Decades later, still closed. They use deceit to trick the average Joe on all kinds of things.

But if a private individual or club were to buy up land and create a OHV park then it would make sense. Not saying that’s the answer necessarily but the state is only going to act in the states best interest. Private owner would presumably act in his own best interest as well.
When I say state I mean government at any level.
I guess I'm just spoiled but I really hate privately owned OHV parks that measure in acers rather than mile after endless mile. That's what BLM land in Nevada offers now and it's nothing short of magical. As taxpayers, we are the owners of that land and it's available for us to use free of additional charge. And to be clear, I've wheeled a bunch of privately owned parks all across America and while some are truly badass, I don't always want to wheel the piss out of my Jeep. More times than not, I just want to disappear into the middle of nowhere, just like what you see in the pics I posted of where they want to blanket the landscape with solar panels. Out there, it can feel other worldly and you can experience exactly what it would have been like 100 years ago, 1,000 years ago and 10,000 years ago or more. Can't get that from a fenced in privately owned park.

My family fought with the Feds over land quite a bit. The forest service was on a campaign of closing everything they could. Lots of old ranches and homesteads were absorbed by the Feds in AZ. Some of their activities bordered on criminality. There were a few historical sites they allowed to fall into disrepair or burn up so they could close off the land. 🤬

‘Cherry Stemming’ or hiding long established roads so the Feds could skirt the rules and declare Wilderness areas was a popular technique.

The Sagebrush Rebellion was a serious thing and some thought it would lead to a real rebellion.

Around here the Shenandoah National forest took plenty of private property lots of folks still pissed about family homesteads that are no more. Same with George Washington national forest.

Around here the Shenandoah National forest took plenty of private property lots of folks still pissed about family homesteads that are no more. Same with George Washington national forest.

Yes they did.
The Feds also kicked a bunch of people out to make the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Trail.

I guess I'm just spoiled but I really hate privately owned OHV parks that measure in acers rather than mile after endless mile. That's what BLM land in Nevada offers now and it's nothing short of magical. As taxpayers, we are the owners of that land and it's available for us to use free of additional charge. And to be clear, I've wheeled a bunch of privately owned parks all across America and while some are truly badass, I don't always want to wheel the piss out of my Jeep. More times than not, I just want to disappear into the middle of nowhere, just like what you see in the pics I posted of where they want to blanket the landscape with solar panels. Out there, it can feel other worldly and you can experience exactly what it would have been like 100 years ago, 1,000 years ago and 10,000 years ago or more. Can't get that from a fenced in privately owned park.
Can’t disagree with any of that I’ve been out west and while I’ve never explored around Nevada or Arizona or really anywhere but California the pictures and videos you post are amazing and really make me miss the west. Honestly I’m not sure what the answer is my inclination is alway private individuals will take better care than the state but the wide open lands out west really wouldn’t work out very well.

Yes they did.
The Feds also kicked a bunch of people out to make the Skyline Drive and the Blue Ridge Trail.
Yup I know a farming family down in Page County his family has been on the land since before the US was even formed. State came in and took half their land. The family has lifetime access in the park to visit the family gravesite right off skyline drive.

Can’t disagree with any of that I’ve been out west and while I’ve never explored around Nevada or Arizona or really anywhere but California the pictures and videos you post are amazing and really make me miss the west. Honestly I’m not sure what the answer is my inclination is alway private individuals will take better care than the state but the wide open lands out west really wouldn’t work out very well.
I don't know if there is an answer and it sucks. I just see more and more of what I love being taking away. While private individuals may do a better job of taking care of things, I don't know any who would has the kind of wide open land that the BLM has out in Nevada and or would allow me to access their land without charging me. And really, I get it. They would be required to have things like insurance if nothing else.

I don't know if there is an answer and it sucks. I just see more and more of what I love being taking away. While private individuals may do a better job of taking care of things, I don't know any who would has the kind of wide open land that the BLM has out in Nevada and or would allow me to access their land without charging me. And really, I get it. They would be required to have things like insurance if nothing else.
The answer is, “you will own nothing and you will be happy.”

Top Bottom