The Butters JK Build

Finally got the mounting points drilled and countersunk. Doing it without a drill press was probably a mistake. The holes were off by just a hair. When I tried to mount it on the first couple of times I fucked up the threads on two of the bolts/mounts. :grayno: I chased all the threads on the Jeep and the bolts with a tap and die and widened my mount holes a tad. Had to get into the welds I made, but it worked. It doesn't look like much progress, but it took forever :rolleyes2: At least now I can move on to the tailgate mounts.
hinge.jpg
hinge1.jpg

That looks really good. Custom steel fab is indeed a slow process. What thickness steel did you go with ?

So here's where I'm at. I've run out of time for this project. I got the hinges finished up, so I put a few coats of paint on and reinstalled them.

IMG_20171022_104901.jpg
IMG_20171022_104913.jpg
IMG_20171022_155519.jpg
IMG_20171022_181024.jpg

I didn't get them tied into the carrier like I wanted yet, but that'll just be a project for another time. The hinges work well, they do sag just a hair with the tailgate open. Not enough to keep it from latching well though. I plan on getting some better bushings/bearings than the plastic ones that came with the hinges (bronze maybe?). That should help with the sag.

Hinges looking good. Taking a step away from it for awhile may actually execute more ideas and an even better finished product.

Good to see it finished up. I'm sure your right that the sag will go away with bushings/bearings. Good job man[emoji106]

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app
Thanks!
Hinges looking good. Taking a step away from it for awhile may actually execute more ideas and an even better finished product.
Thanks and yeah, that's what I'm thinking. If I rush through it now, it'll just get sloppy.

Looks to be in damn good shape! Have you had it for awhile?

It's my sister's. She's had it for a few years in her barn. The previous owner just rattle can primed it and sold it. Didn't even mask off the windows [emoji19] It's still in decent shape though. We're going to try and clean all the dust and rust off and give it a few coats of paint.

It's my sister's. She's had it for a few years in her barn. The previous owner just rattle can primed it and sold it. Didn't even mask off the windows [emoji19] It's still in decent shape though. We're going to try and clean all the dust and rust off and give it a few coats of paint.

That’s a cool truck. You should call garage squad!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Diamond in the ruff right there! Best thing the previous owner could have done is rattle can the shit out of it. Barn yard find for sure! (Keeping the rust off). Hard to find these step sides that are worth a shit and not all rusted up. --Nice--[emoji106]

The step side has been a real time hog lately. Apparently most of the structure under the primer was foam, Bondo, and crumpled newspaper... a bit more work than I originally thought.

Anyway, back to the Jeep; this happened this morning:
IMG_20180221_110701.jpg

Top Bottom