The Butters JK Build

Fuck yea!

:yup: 315/75R16 (measures about 34" from the ground) ...and I think you were right. Don't get me wrong the gears are awful and I'll never use 6th gear (not even 5th if it's windy or uphill), but I think I can manage for a couple months. I just get impatient :crazyeyes::blush:

Nice Coopers. About time you joined the cool kids club, lol. I can't find can single thing negative about them.

Ha! Thanks, I did take my sweet time.

Moab? When?

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

May 20-24

Damn what a difference!

Lookin good[emoji106]

Those STT Pros look good on there!

My dogs name is Butters[emoji3]. Great name!

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

Thanks!

Put in a new custom 1310 driveshaft from a local place:
IMG_20180503_171341.jpg
IMG_20180503_174247.jpg
IMG_20180503_193600.jpg
IMG_20180503_193712.jpg
IMG_20180503_193612.jpg
Waiting on some LCAs to adjust my caster angle.

Alright, I think I need some input here... The new control arms are in. I'm having trouble eliminating drive line vibrations though. I thought this new double cardan drive shaft would be able to handle the angles better than it is.
RLCAD.jpg
First I tried adjusting the LCAs longer, but that gave the drive shaft a bad vibration. I shortened then little by little until they were a little SHORTER than stock. The rear axle now seems to have negative caster just to alleviate the pinion angle. It hasn't eliminated the vibrations just tamed them down to only a minor vibration between 30-35mph. Should I shorten them further?? I feel like I'm doing something wrong...

Your rear pinion should point right at your driveshaft. They should be inline with one another. You don't need to worry about anything else. If it is still vibrating then, then you may have an out of balance shaft or a yoke that has excessive runout.

Your rear pinion should point right at your driveshaft. They should be inline with one another. You don't need to worry about anything else. If it is still vibrating then, then you may have an out of balance shaft or a yoke that has excessive runout.

OK, that makes it simple. I thought the rear pinion angle was supposed to be equal to the angle on the transfer case yoke. So it won't matter that the spring perches are sloping backward quite a bit?

OK, that makes it simple. I thought the rear pinion angle was supposed to be equal to the angle on the transfer case yoke. So it won't matter that the spring perches are sloping backward quite a bit?

The pinion and tcase angle have to be the same if you have a single ujoint at each end. With a double-cardin joint at the tcase, the pinion angle and driveshaft need to line up. As far as the perches, I don't think they'll be that far back, but take a picture when you're done.

Ok, I adjusted the lowers almost as short as they'll go. My stock control arms were 19 11/16, these are now 19 1/8. The pinion certainly looks straightened, but the angle is pretty severe on the negative caster... Haven't driven it yet.
IMG_20180508_184438.jpg
IMG_20180508_184410.jpg
IMG_20180508_183146.jpg
IMG_20180508_183204.jpg

Ok, I adjusted the lowers almost as short as they'll go. My stock control arms were 19 11/16, these are now 19 1/8. The pinion certainly looks straightened, but the angle is pretty severe on the negative caster... Haven't driven it yet.
View attachment 301162
View attachment 301164
View attachment 301165
View attachment 301166

I don’t think there is caster in the back. Don’t need the angle finder on the axle. I ended up doing upper and lower arms in the rear to tilt the pinion and not have the tires being torn up on the pinch seam. Seems like the lowers are about stock length and I lengthened the uppers

Sent from my iPad using WAYALIFE mobile app

View attachment 301162
View attachment 301164
View attachment 301165
View attachment 301166

Looks a lot better. All your looking for is your pinion to be pointing at the transfer case. If your having vibrations you can adjust from there.

Top Bottom