The build/re-build of Gruff

Drove past a CAT scale on the way home yesterday & decided to stop and see what Gruff weighs fully loaded with all of the shit I carry with me on runs. I do carry a lot of stuff - more than some, less than others I;d imagine, but it includes 3 bags of tools, spare parts, a spare axle, every fluid required (full refill capacities), emergency gear, big bottle jack, etc. I do take my rear seat out as that's where I strap my tool & parts bags. they all line up in the footwell depression and I made up d-ring points that go in the bolt holes for the seat. I won't list all my specs, you can look in my profile if you want every specific, but basics are PR60/PR44, Evo armor & sliders, full Evo skid plates, 37's beadlocks, winch. That being said here's the ticket

Scale.jpg

6160#. I weigh 215 so 5945# is the vehicle weight.

Drove past a CAT scale on the way home yesterday & decided to stop and see what Gruff weighs fully loaded with all of the shit I carry with me on runs. I do carry a lot of stuff - more than some, less than others I;d imagine, but it includes 3 bags of tools, spare parts, a spare axle, every fluid required (full refill capacities), emergency gear, big bottle jack, etc. I do take my rear seat out as that's where I strap my tool & parts bags. they all line up in the footwell depression and I made up d-ring points that go in the bolt holes for the seat. I won't list all my specs, you can look in my profile if you want every specific, but basics are PR60/PR44, Evo armor & sliders, full Evo skid plates, 37's beadlocks, winch. That being said here's the ticket

View attachment 295993

Nice! I’ve been wanting to see what mine weighs. I passed the scales the other day traveling, but line was long

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

View attachment 295993

Simple math, you need to weigh 54 pounds to keep your rig under 6K. Or lose some spare parts and tools. :)

Nice! I’ve been wanting to see what mine weighs. I passed the scales the other day traveling, but line was long

Thats why I stopped this time - there was no one in line! $11.00 well spent

These things get heavy fast. Crazy

You aint kiddin. I was a little surprised. Didn't think it was over 6k.

Simple math, you need to weigh 54 pounds to keep your rig under 6K. Or lose some spare parts and tools. :)

Unfortunately I'll probably be way heavier going to Moab :grayno:

I know, I'll stop at Costco & get my tires filled with Nitrogen! :thumb:

Thats why I stopped this time - there was no one in line! $11.00 well spent

You aint kiddin. I was a little surprised. Didn't think it was over 6k.

Unfortunately I'll probably be way heavier going to Moab :grayno:

I know, I'll stop at Costco & get my tires filled with Nitrogen! :thumb:

Ha! Maybe try helium! You could have a fun time when you air down!

I am - probably be Saturday the 24th early-mid morning. I'm trying to time this god-forsaken long ass drive so I can enjoy going through Colorado this time! Best part of the trip!

Dude, what an awesome trip you have ahead of you.

First I've ever experienced, seen or heard of one of these double cardan joints breaking at the pivot before. The shop I took the shaft to get rebuilt hadn't seen one either and they specialize in the heavy truck field. Figures. So for the record, this is what one looks like after it's come apart

broke 1.jpg

broke 2.jpg

broke 3.jpg

This is what happens to a Tcase when it fails when you're doing 75mph:

broke 4.jpg

Which leads to this:

broke 4 (2).jpg

First I've ever experienced, seen or heard of one of these double cardan joints breaking at the pivot before. The shop I took the shaft to get rebuilt hadn't seen one either and they specialize in the heavy truck field. Figures. So for the record, this is what one looks like after it's come apart

View attachment 298524

View attachment 298525

View attachment 298526

View attachment 298527

Which leads to this:

View attachment 298528
There is always first time for everything ahh :):thumb:

View attachment 298524

View attachment 298525

View attachment 298526

View attachment 298527

Which leads to this:

View attachment 298528
Didn't you change your transfer case?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

That sucks. Atlas next? Or just swapping?

Sent from my Pixel 2 XL using Tapatalk

I'm debating my next move. I fell in love with the 4:0 lo range in the Rubi case when I used it at Rausch. Now I'm spoiled and won't be happy until I do something about the regular case I'm back to now. The Atlas cases are bloody expensive but the Rubi takeoffs aren't cheap either. IDK. If I could find a Rubi takeoff I'd prolly grab it it and be done. If I don't I'll likely snag an Atlas over next winter because I'd like to attempt another trip next year and I def want to have plenty miles on whatever it is by that time.

One thing I do know is that I'm upping my maintenance routines. This debacle was really expensive and a goddam waste of time. I plan of having the shafts inspected yearly from now on and will do a much more thorough check list every Winter. Really don't want another repeat of this again.

Top Bottom