The build/re-build of Gruff

Well, be prepared to be disappointed buddy. By the time everything is added up, an Atlas install is gonna be at least $5k. That's the shift cables, parts, pieces, shortening both driveshafts, etc, etc. Atlas's are certainly badass but $5 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I found a really low mileage unit (I know, I know) so I'm rolling the dice. The crack in the case is so small and in such an odd place that I can't imagine what caused it. It looks to be in a non-stressed area. So, once I get it pulled I'm gonna rebuild that one so I'll have a backup. The front cover is $350 and they actually look fairly simple inside so I'm gonna give that a go. :idontknow:

As long as the internals are ok you can just replace the cover and be done with it, especially if it’s just going to be a spare

As long as the internals are ok you can just replace the cover and be done with it, especially if it’s just going to be a spare

Lol, as many of these goddam things I seem to go thru it might get pressed into duty sooner than I want. :rolleyes2:Still you're right. The kits are only a little over $100 tho

Lol, as many of these goddam things I seem to go thru it might get pressed into duty sooner than I want. :rolleyes2:Still you're right. The kits are only a little over $100 tho

I tore some apart when I was in school, they are pretty simple inside unlike the electronic ones. Depending on if the crack is on the front side or back it will be simple to swap.

Well, be prepared to be disappointed buddy. By the time everything is added up, an Atlas install is gonna be at least $5k. That's the shift cables, parts, pieces, shortening both driveshafts, etc, etc. Atlas's are certainly badass but $5 ain't nothing to sneeze at. I found a really low mileage unit (I know, I know) so I'm rolling the dice. The crack in the case is so small and in such an odd place that I can't imagine what caused it. It looks to be in a non-stressed area. So, once I get it pulled I'm gonna rebuild that one so I'll have a backup. The front cover is $350 and they actually look fairly simple inside so I'm gonna give that a go. :idontknow:

That is an awful lot of money by the time you add it up! Hopefully this one holds up for you and gets you back on the road much faster than that 5 week lead time for an Atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

5k is definatley a good amount just to throw at a tcase, as bad ass as the atlas is. You hafta do what's cost effective sometimes. Still have a very capable rig regardless. The fresh upgrades will get you where you havnt been.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I tore some apart when I was in school, they are pretty simple inside unlike the electronic ones. Depending on if the crack is on the front side or back it will be simple to swap.

That is an awful lot of money by the time you add it up! Hopefully this one holds up for you and gets you back on the road much faster than that 5 week lead time for an Atlas.

Sent from my iPhone using WAYALIFE mobile app

5k is definatley a good amount just to throw at a tcase, as bad ass as the atlas is. You hafta do what's cost effective sometimes. Still have a very capable rig regardless. The fresh upgrades will get you where you havnt been.

Sent from my SM-G965U using WAYALIFE mobile app

I watched a couple youtube videos and it looks pretty straightforward actually. So for well under $2k I'll have two Rubi cases. And Atlas emailed me back - they are out to 6 weeks. If I had planned for that all along thats one thing. But to have to do that at this phase frankly I'm not prepared to wait that long.

Weldings all done except for the axle strap tie down anchors. Lol, he forgot them in the pile of shit on one of his workbenches.
He's painting everything with a rust preventative black and I'll probably hit it all with a flat black.

20200513_163105_resized.jpg

20200513_163213_resized.jpg

20200513_163119_resized_1.jpg

20200513_163124_resized.jpg

20200513_163140_resized.jpg

Top Bottom