TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

I will agree that TF should give guidelines and recommendations for the BS necessary for proper and safe install. I just hate a product gets bashed for being crap when thousands have had no problem.

And there in lines your problem. You have made this personal and have assumed that a product you have chosen to buy is getting "bashed". You need to step back and realize that a break did in fact happen, is now being talked about and it is NOT a reflection or criticism of you personally. If anything, trolls have come on to this thread to personally attack me for sharing what I have seen and oddly enough, that seems to be okay with you.

Since it has been missed on this thread, this is NOT the first time that TeraFlex has put out a product that had an inherent flaw. They used to sell a front track bar that they toutted as being stronger than all the rest because it was solid and when they started to break, we heard the same rhetoric from their fanboys. Of course, they did what they could to keep things quite and eventually starting making and selling a much better track bar and to me, that is a good thing as it helps to keep everyone safe. The same thing happend with their long arm brackets. When they started to tear off the frame, the fanboys would come out and blame the installers for not welding it on right. Again, TeraFlex tried to keep things quiet, allowed their customers to get blamed for their poor design and eventually came out with a well needed support bracket. Of course now, things are much better. If you're happy with substandard products, more power to you but you'll forgive me for posting up what I have seen and with no other hope than to help others who wouldn't be.

And there in lines your problem. You have made this personal and have assumed that a product you have chosen to buy is getting "bashed". You need to step back and realize that a break did in fact happen, is now being talked about and it is NOT a reflection or criticism of you personally. If anything, trolls have come on to this thread to personally attack me for sharing what I have seen and oddly enough, that seems to be okay with you.

I don't care who is at fault at this point. I'm happy with mine and ironically enough some douche just backed into my TF tire carrier and no issue after inspection. His vehicle tailgate was messed up badly.

I don't care who is at fault at this point.

Oh, that's been pretty clear from the start, you "just hate a product gets bashed for being crap" and that's all I was attempting to address.

I'm happy with mine and ironically enough some douche just backed into my TF tire carrier and no issue after inspection. His vehicle tailgate was messed up badly.

And nobody is asking you not to be happy with what you have. Likewise, I'm just trying to help those who would be interested in what I have to share - you can take it or leave it.

I'm definitely not a fanboy. I just thought this was a great product with a great design when I bought. And I still feel it is a great product. I was trying to save some weight and to have a stock like product. Every single product in the world has failures so I guess I'm not surprised this one has a failure either. Hopefully it will give people more info to make an informed decision.

I'm definitely not a fanboy. I just thought this was a great product with a great design when I bought. And I still feel it is a great product. I was trying to save some weight and to have a stock like product.

And again, there's nothing wrong with that. Nobody is asking you to not like what you bought. Nobody is questioning why you chose to buy it.

Every single product in the world has failures so I guess I'm not surprised this one has a failure either.

No, every single product "can" fail but, most have not. This specific failure WAS preventable and lessons should be learned from it to make it safer.

Hopefully it will give people more info to make an informed decision.

Agreed, hopefully it will.

I don't care who is at fault at this point. I'm happy with mine and ironically enough some douche just backed into my TF tire carrier and no issue after inspection. His vehicle tailgate was messed up badly.

That was the point of this thread, before trollers hi-jacked it. The original post (might insert intent) was not to "bash" or say anyone is stupid for buying. TF has sold many of these and WOL was just thinking people may want to know this happened. :yup:

I may add that upon further research (beyond this site and just "forums"), there are a couple consistent issues with this carrier, based on actual user feedback. For me, I actually like(d) the concept, but having not yet purchased, I'm staying on the sidelines till the issues are resolved to "my" liking.....not anyone elses. I don't base what I do on one (WOL) opinion, so I'm not offended. (Sorry WOL, no offense, but your not god.......just god like. :cheesy:)

So as WOL said on point and topic (not in response to trolls):

1) Do regular inspections
2) There is a weak spot in the production
3) Contact TF as they're modifying the bracket (thus proving weak spot)
4) If you don't own it yet, or are considering it, take the concern/issue into consideration
5) Do your research

ah, I was wondering when you'd chime back in.

No, I wouldn't agree with what you think should be "common sense". I only know that this is a bad idea because I have been a Jeep owner for a very long time and have seen the kind of tailgate damage that can be caused by a spare left to jiggle around. My experience has taught me to make sure that the spare should be held securely in place and had even done write-ups about this over 10 years ago back when people were having similar problems on their TJ's.

I never take part in these type of debates, but this I am compelled to agree with. Is it a good product, is it shit? I dont know! What i do know is....back when I was new to Jeeps and working on a YJ I fallowed instructions to the T! If they said to do it, i did it. If they omitted something, so did I. I assumed they were smarter than I was, and if it were needed they would surely include it in the instructions.

Sent from a migrant connectivity device

^^ yes absolutely.

The above comment was actually meant for Eddie's post about how Teraflex should be clear on what backspacing it works with.

Anyway I called Teraflex. They are comfortable with me going ahead as long as the tire is in contact with the carrier frame. Given my 4-5/8" backspacing it should reach the frame.

I was told the following procedure works best to ensure a good fit once the carrier frame is mounted to the tailgate:
1. Mount the tire on the adjustable part of the carrier
2. Put it up onto the gate and rest the inside of the tire against the carrier frame
3. Mark a line on the adjustable tube
4. Remove the tire
5. Push the adjustable tube in 1/4" past the mark
6. Remount the tire

This makes sense to me, so I'm going to try the carrier. Still gonna add my "powder strap" as a backup though.

In my opinion this is really a problem with documentation. They need to rewrite the instructions to be clear about how important it is to contact the tire.
EDIT: And as Eddie points out be clear about its backspacing limitations (or change/add to the design so it can handle a 3.5" BS).

Dave

Last edited:
UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Teraflex and they said at this point there is no modification that is going into production. He said it was possible that there will be a change for the next generation, but hadn't seen anything or heard anything official. There was no ETA on any changes. He had heard about this pic from someone tearing through the desert with it installed improperly which caused a failure to occur. He said that maybe the guy (presumably your friend WOL) may have installed a gusset himself, but he wasn't familiar with any leaving TF with the modification done it it.

So that's where they are officially. I'd like to see the part he got when he contacted them.

Any chance we could get a pic of the new part with the gussets?

My friend isn't exactly web savvy and it was too dark to take a pic of it when I did see it. But, I will see what I can do.

UPDATE: I just got off the phone with Teraflex and they said at this point there is no modification that is going into production. He said it was possible that there will be a change for the next generation, but hadn't seen anything or heard anything official. There was no ETA on any changes. He had heard about this pic from someone tearing through the desert with it installed improperly which caused a failure to occur. He said that maybe the guy (presumably your friend WOL) may have installed a gusset himself, but he wasn't familiar with any leaving TF with the modification done it it.

So that's where they are officially. I'd like to see the part he got when he contacted them.

:cheesy: Is that a fact?? Well, it's unfortunate but, it sounds like TeraFlex is choosing not to handle this just like they did with their weak front track bars and long arm mounts. I just hope nobody gets hurt in the process. Of course, you're free to believe whatever it is you want to believe. Certainly, I have no reason to make any of this up.

My friend isn't exactly web savvy and it was too dark to take a pic of it when I did see it. But, I will see what I can do.

:cheesy: Is that a fact?? Well, it's unfortunate but, it sounds like TeraFlex is choosing not to handle this just like they did with their weak front track bars and long arm mounts. I just hope nobody gets hurt in the process. Of course, you're free to believe whatever it is you want to believe. Certainly, I have no reason to make any of this up.

That's funny no changes there waiting, I guess no ones been killed yet.:thinking:

The above comment was actually meant for Eddie's post about how Teraflex should be clear on what backspacing it works with.

Anyway I called Teraflex. They are comfortable with me going ahead as long as the tire is in contact with the carrier frame. Given my 4-5/8" backspacing it should reach the frame.

I was told the following procedure works best to ensure a good fit once the carrier frame is mounted to the tailgate:
1. Mount the tire on the adjustable part of the carrier
2. Put it up onto the gate and rest the inside of the tire against the carrier frame
3. Mark a line on the adjustable tube
4. Remove the tire
5. Push the adjustable tube in 1/4" past the mark
6. Remount the tire

This makes sense to me, so I'm going to try the carrier. Still gonna add my "powder strap" as a backup though.

In my opinion this is really a problem with documentation. They need to rewrite the instructions to be clear about how important it is to contact the tire.
EDIT: And as Eddie points out be clear about its backspacing limitations (or change/add to the design so it can handle a 3.5" BS).

Dave

Someone is not telling the truth. Doubt it's either of you. ^^^^ So if I read between the lines, teraflex is adjusting install directions, yet claiming nothing is wrong. I sure hope they send out updated instructions to the thousands of people that have already purchased and installed.

Oh, and also hope nobody actually intends to wheel this. Funny because in one of the early promo vids for this carrier, it showed Smurf rolling hard with what was then a max "38 tire size." Now it's down to 37", and don't wheel it. :grayno:

You will probably only get the "revised" install instructions if they have to send out a replacement. That way those with 32"s hanging from their mount will never know of the issue. Companies will always do as little as possible to correct defects as long as the risk of death is low enough.

andrew -

Yeah, I suppose I shouldn't be surprised. Like I said before, back when people were breaking their front track bars, their policy was to keep it quiet. When their long arm brackets were tearing off the frame, their policy was to blame the installer. Both eventually got fixed but I gotta tell you, all this is really making me loose faith in their products and them as a company. :naw:

Again, I just hope that nobody gets hurt.

Funny because in one of the early promo vids for this carrier, it showed Smurf rolling hard with what was then a max "38 tire size." Now it's down to 37", and don't wheel it. :grayno:

no one said "don't wheel it", or did i miss something. funny because they clearly state that its designed to carry a 37" tire, yet the put a 38" on it during testing. link to video you were misquoting to follow. go to 2:22 for the info. i watched this several times before purchasing mine and remembered this part...lol i got a good laugh with all the talk of spreading the load, just beating it up, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVB7NGY0PMc

all the videos clearly show the factory rubber bumper still on the drivers side, but removed from the pass side. not sure if that part was in the instructions however. they also clearly state to snug the tire against the carrier, but make no mention of any specific compatible range of backspacing in order to accomplish this. not sure if that was in the written instructions either. i used the video when i put mine on.

no one said "don't wheel it", or did i miss something. funny because they clearly state that its designed to carry a 37" tire, yet the put a 38" on it during testing. link to video you were misquoting to follow. go to 2:22 for the info. i watched this several times before purchasing mine and remembered this part...lol i got a good laugh with all the talk of spreading the load, just beating it up, etc.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yVB7NGY0PMc

all the videos clearly show the factory rubber bumper still on the drivers side, but removed from the pass side. not sure if that part was in the instructions however. they also clearly state to snug the tire against the carrier, but make no mention of any specific compatible range of backspacing in order to accomplish this. not sure if that was in the written instructions either. i used the video when i put mine on.

In the original release they said it could hold a 40" tire. This was later edited, I am guessing, to a 37" because they knew it wouldn't hold a 40" after testing.

Top Bottom