TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

All I am saying is that this tire carrier should work fine if the tire maintains contact to the tailgate. In any other case I totally agree with you - don't use it if it does not fit!

Yes, that is the part that is weak and will break. The gussets may help but in my opinion, not enough. You really need to prevent any jiggling and so far, TeraFlex is not coming out and saying this is a problem. I'm still kinda wondering why they're being do hush hush about all this especially being that they know they have a problem and one that can be a very dangerous one.

Agreed! Lol..can u carry rotopax on the evo carrier? I wonder if Mel can make their carrier work with the stretch skins they are installing? Thats a dumb ? im sure he can. May change things up.:brows:

All I am saying is that this tire carrier should work fine if the tire maintains contact to the tailgate. In any other case I totally agree with you - don't use it if it does not fit!

It's good to hear you have so much faith in the old mount. You should make sure to request it when you order one as I'm sure TeraFlex will have a surplus of them.

Agreed! Lol..can u carry rotopax on the evo carrier? I wonder if Mel can make their carrier work with the stretch skins they are installing? Thats a dumb ? im sure he can. May change things up.:brows:

I have seen guys do it but I think Mel will have something available before the next JKX

I don't think it will work with the comp cut. I have no sheet metal for the lower mount. Just looked at some pics.

The setup looks very poorly made to me. Even if that area didn't have problems I would say over the years the tailgate would still suffer from damage with the weight of a larger tire.

I run this tire carrier with my 35's and the adjustable mount. Mine fit snuggly against the hinge and I have zero rattling and zero movement. I love the way this thing works for me. I will definitely keep an eye on the adjustable mount, but I have no worries at the moment and doubt I ever will. I did however buy the MetalCloak rear bumper so if I have a problem I can always add the tire carrier later. However, I would be pissed if it failed and hopefully TF will provide a solution to everyone who has bought the adjustable mount.

It'll be fine if you mount it correctly and don't expect to drag the tire on steep angles.

The broken example here shows the owner ignored common sense that has involved all models of jeeps and mounting larger spares on the tailgate. The update from TF is only to protect folks from themselves as its been shown there's a need.

Funny I keep reading the word "fanboys" directed by some who appear the biggest for one reason or another. :thinking:

Clearly, you're not TeraFlex as they make no mention of what they're trying to cover on their website or in their instructions and have even gone so far as to change the design of their bracket rather than blindly "believe" in it the way you have chosen to.

Hey WOL, any idea if this is going to be part of the new manufacturing? Or just a one off fix.

I'm leaning away from this carrier because of this an some other feedback I read online. That actually had to do with the hinge itself, not the carrier.

But still mildly curious if the fix Tom got improves this product at all or just a bandaid?

It'll be fine if you mount it correctly and don't expect to drag the tire on steep angles.

The broken example here shows the owner ignored common sense that has involved all models of jeeps and mounting larger spares on the tailgate. The update from TF is only to protect folks from themselves as its been shown there's a need.

Funny I keep reading the word "fanboys" directed by some who appear the biggest for one reason or another. :thinking:

Welcome to Wayalife! Glad you found us. Thanks for such an insightful and productive first post!
👍

I hate to hear that this carrier is such a failure, but Im glad it was talked about, I was 50/50 considering it. Not any more though, kinda bumbed cause the idea is cool, but there is just too much risk, especially with how much that thing costs..

Paratroopers stay up longer!

I hate to hear that this carrier is such a failure, but Im glad it was talked about, I was 50/50 considering it. Not any more though, kinda bumbed cause the idea is cool, but there is just too much risk, especially with how much that thing costs..

Yep. I was the same as you. I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. But not with the feedback out there. And I'm NOT just talking about this thread.

When I spend a few hundred on something I do my research!

For the same or a few hundred more, I'm looking at or fab or genright.

Yep. I was the same as you. I wanted to give it the benefit of the doubt. But not with the feedback out there. And I'm NOT just talking about this thread.

When I spend a few hundred on something I do my research!

For the same or a few hundred more, I'm looking at or fab or genright.

Smart man! Glad you got to get some hands on experience with differ t carriers to help make up your mind!

Funny, the tire carrier was installed per the instructions provided by TeraFlex and contrary to what you're trying to suggest, wasn't dragged on any steep angles. In fact, it broke while driving fast down a desert road during it's maiden run off pavement. Had you been there, you would know this instead of having to rely on your assumptions. Of course, all that is really a moot point as if I were paying over $700 for a tire carrier, I would expect that it could handle the kind of trails we have out here in the west like the Rubicon and Moab where steep angles are what we have to deal with all the time. If it couldn't, I would think it's a waste of money. But hey, that's just me.

The broken example here shows the owner ignored common sense that has involved all models of jeeps and mounting larger spares on the tailgate.

Oh I get it, the owner of this tire carrier must be at fault for the break because he followed directions provided by TeraFlex to the best of his ability. God forbid that TeraFlex should just make a better product to begin with and one that anyone could install regardless of who they are or what you think they should know. I mean, we're just talking about safety here. :naw:

The update from TF is only to protect folks from themselves as its been shown there's a need.

Then may I suggest that you find someone who doesn't have the upgraded bracket, encourage them NOT to get one and then be sure to follow them real close both on and off the trail. After all, the improved bracket is just being made to protect them and not you. :yup:

Hmmm, let's see. I spent my Sunday morning hanging out with friends at a dragstrip. You on the other hand spent your Sunday morning on the internet making this your very first post here. Maybe you're right, "fanboy" may not be the word that would best describe you. ;)

I sent teraflex a msg to see if I can get a new "gusseted" part. Mine's not cracked but it does make noise after 1 desert run though anza borrego due to the tire vibrating without some type of rubber bushing...
I don't want to be the one trying to explain why my tire dropped off from my tailgate on the highway due to part failure.

Hey WOL, any idea if this is going to be part of the new manufacturing? Or just a one off fix.

I'm leaning away from this carrier because of this an some other feedback I read online. That actually had to do with the hinge itself, not the carrier.

But still mildly curious if the fix Tom got improves this product at all or just a bandaid?

All I can do is assume that this will be a part of the new manufacturing process. No mention was to him regarding the back spacing on his wheels or the fact that the tire carrier still provides nothing to prevent any jiggling of the spare. Because of this, I have to think that it's just a bandaid at best.

For the kind of wheeling you have out in AZ, I would highy recommend against a tire carrier like this in any case as the potential for doing damage to your tailgate is significant. If you don't do much wheeling, you'll probably be fine so long as you can find a way to prevent jiggling but, like you said, it costs a lot and there really are better options out there.

I sent teraflex a msg to see if I can get a new "gusseted" part. Mine's not cracked but it does make noise after 1 desert run though anza borrego due to the tire vibrating without some type of rubber bushing...
I don't want to be the one trying to explain why my tire dropped off from my tailgate on the highway due to part failure.

That's EXACTLY how things started with Tom. He drove fast down a desert trail and then started hearing a noise. That noise developed into a loud knock and when we stopped to investigate things, the pics you see on this thread is what we found.

I'm guessing if you drop of a ledge or hit a steep hill and drag your spare using this carrier it will end up twisting up your tailgate. Even if you save a few hundred over a bumper/tire carrier it will end up costing you more in the end. Even a persons life if you don't usr a cable of sorts to add a little safety.

I'm guessing if you drop of a ledge or hit a steep hill and drag your spare using this carrier it will end up twisting up your tailgate. Even if you save a few hundred over a bumper/tire carrier it will end up costing you more in the end. Even a persons life if you don't usr a cable of sorts to add a little safety.

Yup. Trust me, I have seen it happen enough times to make me recommend against a tire carrier like this if you plan on wheeling your Jeep.

Top Bottom