TeraFlex Hinged Tire Carrier Break

As said, if you already have this, you can run the OEM carrier in the hinge. You should also cut up a Daystar isolator for the passenger side of the hinge.

Also, if you have this and plan on getting the Rotopax and Hi-Lift accessory, I recommend a fresh coat of paint on the exposed threads. Mine have rusted.

If I had it to do over again, I would've gotten the Poison Spider Rock Brawler 2 bumper and carrier.

I've been in contact with TF today and we are setting up the switching of the adjustable mount. So far, the communication has been easy. I really like the product and its operation and for me is the perfect carrier right now. And even though mine is mounted correctly with no movement, if they have an improved version that should solve the issue or potential for failure then I'm all for it. I will report back once everything is final.

I've been in contact with TF today and we are setting up the switching of the adjustable mount. So far, the communication has been easy. I really like the product and its operation and for me is the perfect carrier right now. And even though mine is mounted correctly with no movement, if they have an improved version that should solve the issue or potential for failure then I'm all for it. I will report back once everything is final.

Are you really still here? :naw:

I don't know maybe it's just me but for a few more dollars I can get the Gen right carrier that will carry a bigger tire and it will carry it more safely... I think Teraflex should stick to Lifts not tire carriers that will kill people.:twocents:

Don't get me wrong I love my Teraflex lift on my four door but Come on man!!!

I don't know maybe it's just me but for a few more dollars I can get the Gen right carrier that will carry a bigger tire and it will carry it more safely... I think Teraflex should stick to Lifts not tire carriers that will kill people.:twocents:

Don't get me wrong I love my Teraflex lift on my four door but Come on man!!!

Or the far FAR superior AEV carrier.

Or the far FAR superior AEV carrier.

Yep, AEV is much more sturdy and has way more cool stuff you can attach to it. ImageUploadedByWAYALIFE1390566736.168782.jpg
Here is mine when i had it. If i was going to run a rear bumper i would have kept it. Loved it. I just wanted the EVO to center it up a bit.

If he meant superior to the TF one, then I'd have to agree. If he was talking about the Genright, I'd want to know why AEV > GR. :idontknow:

Spoken like an AEV fanboy.

Hardly a fanboy. I was simply stating that for the same money the AEV carrier is far superior to the teraflex both in strength and utility. Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, but it seems you have a real chip on your shoulder.

Hardly a fanboy. I was simply stating that for the same money the AEV carrier is far superior to the teraflex both in strength and utility. Not sure who pissed in your cornflakes this morning, but it seems you have a real chip on your shoulder.

I said that yesterday but thanks for your concern on my bad tasting cornflakes. I'll try and get to the bottom of it.

If he meant superior to the TF one, then I'd have to agree. If he was talking about the Genright, I'd want to know why AEV > GR. :idontknow:

I don't think it's "better" that the EVO carrier or the gen right carrier quality wise, but for some people, it is the better route. For me personally, I need a carrier that is linked to the door. I daily drive my jeep, drop my daughter off in it, food shop, etc, so having to open the carrier before the door would annoy me. Thats personal of course. Not everyone wheels on large rocks and deals with large ledges where a tire can get hung up, so they wouldn't realize the main benefit of the Evo style carriers. Some also have leased/financed vehicles and don't want to install such an invasive product. I personally don't like the AEV carrier because the tire is offset and that would bother me (so I went with an Expedition One setup instead) but I've seen a number of them in person and it is a very well engineered product. the back light mount, the shovel mount, hilift mount, etc all add to its utility not to mention their gas carrier. Fanboy or not, products actually designed and built by AEV (basically everything but their lifts) in my opinion are first rate. Their gas can, their bumpers (although I don't care for the look of the rear), their jack base, etc are all well made, excellent quality and well thought out. I guess liking well designed products built by various manufacturers makes one a fanboy.:thinking:

I don't think it's "better" that the EVO carrier or the gen right carrier quality wise, but for some people, it is the better route. For me personally, I need a carrier that is linked to the door. I daily drive my jeep, drop my daughter off in it, food shop, etc, so having to open the carrier before the door would annoy me. Thats personal of course. Not everyone wheels on large rocks and deals with large ledges where a tire can get hung up, so they wouldn't realize the main benefit of the Evo style carriers. Some also have leased/financed vehicles and don't want to install such an invasive product. I personally don't like the AEV carrier because the tire is offset and that would bother me (so I went with an Expedition One setup instead) but I've seen a number of them in person and it is a very well engineered product. the back light mount, the shovel mount, hilift mount, etc all add to its utility not to mention their gas carrier. Fanboy or not, products actually designed and built by AEV (basically everything but their lifts) in my opinion are first rate. Their gas can, their bumpers (although I don't care for the look of the rear), their jack base, etc are all well made, excellent quality and well thought out. I guess liking well designed products built by various manufacturers makes one a fanboy.:thinking:

NFR - don't let it annoy you being called a fanboy. I am a fab of the products/companies I use and don't give a shit if someone thinks I am biased. You seem full of great knowledge on aev products and I'll certainly be looking in to more of their stuff. THx for sharing the info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

NFR - don't let it annoy you being called a fanboy. I am a fab of the products/companies I use and don't give a shit if someone thinks I am biased. You seem full of great knowledge on aev products and I'll certainly be looking in to more of their stuff. THx for sharing the info.

Sent from my DROID RAZR HD using WAYALIFE mobile app

I wouldn't say Im full of knowledge, but I've been modifying my vehicles for 15+ years, and can generally see when something is truly a quality product that's well engineered. To me, the teraflex unit is not. The AEV carrier is. They are both around the same price and both can be mounted using stock components (no need to add aftermarket bumpers) but only one of them is a real carrier. That was my only point in my original above referenced post. I never said nor implied that AEV makes the best carrier PERIOD, although I must admit that without adding accessories, it is the most utility friendly. My expedition one can do everything the AEV carrier can, but I need to buy extra parts to make it so (ie a hilift mount, etc.)

Might be comparing apples to watermelons here. The TF tire carrier without the hinge plate cost me $200. The EVO carrier (which is what I will eventually run) runs $1400 including the required rear corner skins.
Also, I did not have the same experience with TF that JKU did. I told them mine is fine, but wondered if they were swapping them out with the improved design. Here is my response:

If you can send me pics of your adjustable tire carrier destroyed, then I can send you a replacement out. I just can’t send a newer unit out without proof that the old unit was removed and destroyed. Otherwise it would be too easy for people to get a free one.

Joe Thompson || TERAFLEX, INC.
International / Distributor Sales
Phone: 801-288-2585 X 308
Fax: 801.713.2313
www.teraflex.com

Might be comparing apples to watermelons here. The TF tire carrier without the hinge plate cost me $200. The EVO carrier (which is what I will eventually run) runs $1400 including the required rear corner skins.
Also, I did not have the same experience with TF that JKU did. I told them mine is fine, but wondered if they were swapping them out with the improved design. Here is my response:

If you can send me pics of your adjustable tire carrier destroyed, then I can send you a replacement out. I just can’t send a newer unit out without proof that the old unit was removed and destroyed. Otherwise it would be too easy for people to get a free one.

www.teraflex.com

Oh that's nice...so they want it to break first (and possibly kill someone) before they replace a known defective unit. Wow.

www.teraflex.com

They make all their crap in China so that they can make top dollar on it and then put profits above safety. Simply unbelievable. Although, I have to say that am I not surprised. :naw:

I don't think they meant wait till it breaks. Seems like they want you to destroy it so it doesn't go to someone else. Then they will send a replacement. Maybe?

I don't think they meant wait till it breaks. Seems like they want you to destroy it so it doesn't go to someone else. Then they will send a replacement. Maybe?

Really? What difference does it make? Why would they even care if it is "too easy for people to get a free" proprietary tire mount. Not like you can use it on anything other than their specific tailgate bracket. :naw:

Really? What difference does it make? Why would they even care if it is "too easy for people to get a free" proprietary tire mount. Not like you can use it on anything other than their specific tailgate bracket. :naw:

Wouldn't it be easy to have them send a prepaid label so they can get the bad unit and then ship out the "good" one on their dime to prevent people getting "one for free.":crazyeyes:

Top Bottom