Roof Rack + Snorkel = Overland?

I never said that.

This thread is off topic. Where's a moderator when you need one?

:cheesy:

MTG is a lawyer??? Who said that? Last I heard he flys to Vegas every week to perform in "Thunder from down under" and oooh man he is a great performer.... 😁

MTG is a lawyer??? Who said that? Last I heard he flys to Vegas every week to perform in "Thunder from down under" and oooh man he is a great performer.... 😁

That's just wrong! Kids sometime read these threads. I'm going to go wash my eyes out with kerosene now. 😝⛽

MTG is a lawyer??? Who said that? Last I heard he flys to Vegas every week to perform in "Thunder from down under" and oooh man he is a great performer.... 

LOL! Yeah, it's been a down market in Vegas for quite some time. And I'll tell you...those ladies at the nursing home like to tuck those $1s DEEP!

That's just wrong! Kids sometime read these threads. I'm going to go wash my eyes out with kerosene now. ⛽

I had to use mental white out myself. :cheesy:

WHAT IS HAPPENING TO THIS THREAD?!?! I come for some tips on how to make my crawling vehicle more capable if I'm on a safari in Africa and then it's turned into bromancing lawyer bashing! :cheesy:

155118_10151067115878053_1638082970_n.jpg

I know I am way late here but there is a guy in our group who has the nicest build in our group so far (he custom peiced his lift together) and he didn't say he is building an overland Jeep, he said he wants the overland/expedition look.

He doesn't have really beefy tires that sit past the fenders, having said that they are not street tires either. He has a roof rack and a hard top as well as a snorkle, but his lift gives him really good articulation as well as being a comfortable ride.

So to me it seems like more of a style.

But without tires that extend beyond his fenders, he will probably have rub at full crank due to insufficient backspacing on his wheels. His "look" isn't functional.

The "overland look" is like skinny jeans on men: there is no added benefit and they reduce functionality.

Build a rock crawler and throw a tent and a couple fuel cans in the back and voila! You've got a fully functional "overlander".

But without tires that extend beyond his fenders, he will probably have rub at full crank due to insufficient backspacing on his wheels. His "look" isn't functional.

The "overland look" is like skinny jeans on men: there is no added benefit and they reduce functionality.

Build a rock crawler and throw a tent and a couple fuel cans in the back and voila! You've got a fully functional "overlander".

:cheesy::wings::cheesy::wings:

he does have enough backspacing just not very wide tires, yes I know. Don't worry, this isn't my thing I prefer the wide bas ass stance of a good rock crawler.

Lo2ay has 2 of my favorite jeeps of all time!

His JK Rubicon sitting on 42s.

4513514380_584ed24c2f_b_zps12bef4e3.jpg

4513513310_1699615d7a_b_zpsc2ac315e.jpg

and his overlnad/expedition built Spider LJ.
IMG_5860_zps2c31d39d.jpg

IMG_5903_zps2f0bf278.jpg

IMG_1095_zps2793bb3d.jpg

If you google his builds. You can clearly see he used these 2 vehicles for 2 differen't types of wheeling.

So an expedition build isn't as capable on more extream terrain but is built for maximum cargo? :thinking:

So why couldn't he just have the jk Rubicon and put a roof rack on it? Where can his "expedition" rig go, and what can it do, that his jk can't?

So why couldn't he just have the jk Rubicon and put a roof rack on it? Where can his "expedition" rig go, and what can it do, that his jk can't?

Why build one rig that can do many different kinds of wheeling when you can build 2 more specialized vehicles? 2 Jeeps are better than 1 :D

Because his LJ is built with travel being the number one priority. He didnt build his JK with the intent to long travel, well besides he suspension flex:bleh: And to be honest, I wouldnt feel confident in taking a rig with 42s in an unknown adventure over 4,000KM for 9 days. Thats simply too much gas, well over 2,000 miles in mostly 4 wheel drive. You will have a roof rack and the back of the jeep with filled with nothing but gas... On top of that, you need to carry all things you need to repair and fix the vehicle, Food, things to sleep, lots of water etc...

The goal is to explore and you base the modifications on the environment or known requirements. In his case, he had no idea what he was getting into. An overland vehicle is anything you overland with. The critical consideration is that overlanding is adventure travel, not fourwheeling. Sure, fourwheeling may occur while overlanding, but that is not the primary goal. The essential goal is to travel and explore, visit new places and cultures, etc. He knew he wanted to take his LJ on long distance travel, there for he modded the jeep for it with the intent to travel.

Too me, This is a true example why a huge jk with 42s getting 9mpg simply are more of a hassle than convenience when overlanding. If you got a rig that big, your prone to have more problems when overlanding due to much more modifications, less gas, limited distance travel etc... But if its a 2 day trip on the Rubicon, screw that Im taking his Monster of a JK. lol

He did a 9 day adventure in Saudi on a non trail overland.

Here is what he posted in another forum.
Saudi Northern Expedition (SNE) officially plotted. We will be driving well over 4,000KM across 7-9 days.

There are no trails as we will be negotiating our way across variant terrain and making/marking the areas we cover. Spider LJ will lead two vehicles. A stock 2012 JK and H3 Alpha. Departure date is on the 18th of October. As always, I will have an album dedicated for this trip with continues updates as mush as coverage permits. The other side of Saudi is about to be unveiled!!

He has tons of insane pics of this.

Last edited:
Top Bottom